PDA

View Full Version : Andy Pettite to retire

The Boss
02-03-2011, 11:49
As announced by Evan Roberts a few minutes ago, Andy Pettite is on his way to NY to announce his retirement. According to Mike Francesa who has called in, Andy was in much pain when he pitched last year and almost couldn't come out to pitch between innings on several occasions. Back, groin pain have been major problems.

Andy has been an all- time great for the Yankees and even though we need him this year I think at this point we just wish Andy the best and wait to see him in the booth and at Old Timers day. Thanks for the memories Andy!

raidersbrother
02-03-2011, 13:14
Gonna miss him!

Junior
02-03-2011, 15:16
If he's in that much pain then it's time. Andys a great guy, and hopefully his body is ok and he rides into the sunset. I was hoping we would have him for the 2nd half of the season at least, but I hear he isnt willing to do that. Now its time to panic about the rotation

Jersey John
02-04-2011, 07:34
It's a shame to see him go. He's been a great yankee for a long time now, but Andy is 38 and if he is in pain you can't blame him for giving it up. It's too bad he couldn't get 1 more post season win making him a 20 game post season winner.

The Boss
02-04-2011, 08:03
This HOF conversation keeps coming up, up I don't see why. Andy is not a Hall of Famer in my eyes and I'm not sure how you can think he is. He's had a good long career, but doesn't have many wins and only had a few real dominate years, and one of them came during his Roger Clemens years and the HGH. He played in a ton of post seasons and has 19 wins, with several very clutch performances, but not Hall worthy.

BrooklynAncestry
02-04-2011, 08:19
Andy had some pretty bad post season losses people seem to forget about, but the rest of his Yankee days were great, he will be missed this year in a major way. It's too bad he wont come play in the 2nd half to shorten the season for him.

Jimmy from Brooklyn
02-04-2011, 21:48
These core 4 have basically had an entire season of post season play, he's had 40 something starts so not all are going to be gems. That first one in 96 WS and game 6 in 01 come to mind right away. Those things are going to happen but no doubt Andy is a great All-Time Yankee that will be hard to replace.

IFollowedLocke
02-05-2011, 00:16
Ah thats a shame :(

I hope he feels better in retirement, not in as much pain.

The Boss
02-16-2011, 21:33
This girls takes her Andy Pettite kinda serious - check it out Great Yankee blog (http://prettyinpinstripes.wordpress.com/)

ILoveBaseball21
02-18-2011, 00:48
Pettite is definitely going to be missed by this ball club and its fans. He always seemed to be the go-to guy in our starting rotation even though he wasn't the #1. If the Yankees were ever down in a series or in a slump Pettite was the guy you wanted with the ball to help turn the team around. Thanks #46 for the good Yankees memories! :)