PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cabrera *Drinking Again..*

The Boss
02-17-2011, 13:37
I hate these DUI stories, and I don't want to hear about why "these athletes" do it because it happens all over society and the average person doesn't feel like they will get a break and many still do it. Anyway this is the ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6131020) story and here are they major points form the article:

Cabrera, 27, was spotted by a deputy in a car with a smoking engine alongside a road in Fort Pierce. Inside the vehicle, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and took a swig from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy, according to the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office. He refused to cooperate and more deputies were called to the scene.

ccording to the police report, Cabrera was wandering into the road with his hands up before he was handcuffed. The report quoted him as saying, "Do you know who I am? You don't know anything about my problems," and cursed at deputies who tried to get him into a patrol car.

One deputy struck Cabrera in the left thigh several times with his knee after Cabrera pushed into him, causing the ballplayer to fall into the patrol car. Cabrera refused to take a breath test, deputies said.

So you have to assume he crashed into something to get that smoking engine, and if he has a bottle of scotch to drink from in front of the cops you can also assume he might have been drinking from it while driving. Think about this for a minute.. Drinking from a bottle of Scotch, while actually driving a car.

Cabrera is coming off perhaps his best season. He hit .328 with 38 home runs and 126 RBIs in 2010 and finished second to Josh Hamilton in the American League MVP vote.

ILoveBaseball21
02-17-2011, 16:55
Wow this story is just plain disgraceful. The issue has nothing to do with him being a professional athlete. I don't care how successful of an individual you are or if you're just an average Joe, you have no right to endanger the lives of others. I feel bad if he's going through personal issues but there's so many other options to turn to and I'm disgusted to see anyone turn towards this. I truly hope he gets the help he needs. It's such a shame to see wasted talent and people that don't appreciate the blessings that they have been given. I'm glad to hear that no one was injured in this situation because unfortunately that happens all too often.

Jimmy from Brooklyn
02-18-2011, 00:43
It's hard to believe a person can be so far gone that he is in that situation. I mean, that is worthy of a few weeks in the slammer and mandatory counselling.

IFollowedLocke
02-18-2011, 11:04
I heard this on the news and was shocked. I hate it when people drink and drive. Especially when celebrities do it because they aren't exactly promoting responsible driving.

Alex6788
02-19-2011, 18:20
Wow this story is just plain disgraceful. The issue has nothing to do with him being a professional athlete. I don't care how successful of an individual you are or if you're just an average Joe, you have no right to endanger the lives of others. I feel bad if he's going through personal issues but there's so many other options to turn to and I'm disgusted to see anyone turn towards this. I truly hope he gets the help he needs. It's such a shame to see wasted talent and people that don't appreciate the blessings that they have been given. I'm glad to hear that no one was injured in this situation because unfortunately that happens all too often.
That's exactly what i was thinking.

I can't believe anybody drinks and drives let alone celebrities, you would think they have enough sense not to. Driving a car is hard enough for humans to do when they're not drunk.

took a swig from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy
What was he thinking????

He also sounds pretty arrogant.

IFollowedLocke
02-20-2011, 14:33
Yeah, exactly. And you know this is really bad for his career. I'm sure people lost respect for him due to this. DUI's with celebrities are bad enough, much less when they act like he did. Did he actually try to attack a cop? I heard he shoved one and they pushed him back, which caused him to fall backwards in the police car.