PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony

Jimmy from Brooklyn
02-18-2011, 12:23
I am so sick of Carmelo Anthony this and that on WFan, Francesa is opening with it today, and like the Madoff thing I hope he doesnt dwell all day. This trade rumor in month 4 is about all I can take.. I am just glad the trade deadline is soon, but if he remains with Denver there will still be speculation to talk about so I hope he moves before then. I'm gonna be ready for the Nets in Brooklyn and it would be good to have him here, but I just wanted to mention how much I sick of this Carmelo talk.

The Boss
02-18-2011, 22:32
Craig Carton just said in this "Boomer and Carton in 60" on MSG from this morning, and I agree with both of you, I can't take this anymore...please make a deal and get it over with.

The Boss
02-22-2011, 10:20
Itis finally over and done with. As luck would have it we have no basketball fans on the board yet because that would have gotten us a lot of posts.

North Jersey Blog (http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/knickknacks/)

Carmelo in, Danilo Gallinari out. Gallo’s younger (22), but Anthony isn’t exactly a fossil (26). And if you think that’s an “old” 26 because he came out of Syracuse after one season, remember Gallo’s been a pro since his mid-teens.

So although Gallo could eventually become Dirk Nowitzki Lite, he’s still not there yet. He defends better than Carmelo, but he isn’t Bruce Bowen, either. But why is anyone worried about defense for a team that plays little, anyhow?

And in terms of creating his own shot, a huge need for the Knick late in games, few are better than Carmelo.

Advantage: Carmelo. By plenty _ at this very moment.

Chauncey Billups in, Raymond Felton out. No, Billups, at 34, isn’t as quick as Felton (26), nor the player he once was. He won’t defend the way Felton tried, although we didn’t exactly see Ray-Ray shut down opposing points guards during the first 54 games.

What Billups is, of course, is the guy who ran the Pistons (six straight East finals, one NBA title) all those years, so he’s about savvy and the halfcourt game the Knick will now play more (as they will have to in the playoffs).

He’s also averaging 16.5 points and 5.3 assists, shooting 43.8% overall _ but 44.1% on 3s.

Ray-Ray: 17.1 points, 9.0 assists, 42.3% overall, 32.8 on 3s.

Chauncey is now the No. 3 offensive option. Felton was No. 2.

And both bridge the gap the the 2012 Summer of (Chris) Paul and DWill (Deron Williams)

Advantage: Billups slightly, for the purposes of the playoffs, a push at worst.

The rest. Here’s where the “they gave up too much” folks’ argument may lie.

Let’s look at it in two pieces. First, Wilson Chandler and Timofey Mozgov, plus the Knick’ No. 1 pick in 2014, plus the two second-rounders the Knick got from the Warriors in the David Lee sign-and-trade, plus $3 million from Jim Dolan’s stash go to Denver.

The Knick get three players from the end of the end of the Denver bench: ex-Knick Renaldo Balkman (one of Isiah’s No. 1 picks), veteran point guard Anthony Carter (who, while with Miami, beat the Knick an eon ago in the playoffs with a shot over the side of the backboard) and Shelden Williams (which means his wife, Candace Parker, will show up at the Garden every so often. A good thing).

Talent-wise, this is a no-brainer.

Chandler was the Knick’ productive sixth man. Mozgov was coming on.

The ex-Nuggets? Williams gives the Knick some size they now lack. Carter might run the offense better than Toney Douglas (who can still be used as a “1 1/2” for defense with Billups alongside him). Balkman is ... “awww, man,” as he would say.

The rest is ... other than the first-rounder in 2014 (when the Knick like the think they’re nowhere close to the lottery) ... frou-frou. Just expect your Cablevision bills to go up again.

But remember, Chandler was to become a restricted free agent this summer whom the Knick might not have been able to afford.

Mozgov, we all know, could turn into something. That something, though, could be Greg Butler.

Still, this exchange weakens the Knick’ depth, size and athleticism, for now.

Advantage: not the Knick (since Denver might move two of the above elsewhere).

BUT REMEMBER, via the second piece of this deal the Knick are getting the athletic Corey Brewer from Minnesota for Eddy Curry’s expiring contract and Anthony Randolph (who can spend the playing time he’ll now get glancing at Kurt Rambis to wonder what he’s done wrong.

It's kinda a detailed trade so I'm going to try to break it down any furthur that that article does, but I'm just glad the talk is over, and we get to see Melo in NY pretty soon. I will actually watch a Knick game for sure now, even before playoff time.

Junior
02-22-2011, 15:01
You know how tired I've been of this story. I feel like I just got a cast off after 4 months. No more agitation day after day, and now the Knicks have something going long term! They gave up a lot but Melo is good and young, worth it to me

MooseFanatic
02-22-2011, 18:53
This was a great deal. It was a no-brainer. That's all well and good, but let's stop anointing him
as a guy that will take them to the championship. He's not a great player. He's good, which he can score.

In the NBA, a player has to rebound, get physical, set up plays, run up an offense, and doing other things
that makes a player successful. He stifles the offense by being a ballhog. That's not Melo. It showed in his play
against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals few years ago. He wanted not part. All he wanted to do is score. That's a
poor approach, and it's not going to get him anywhere.

I am just not sure if he is a guy that is ready to change.

Also, can he handle criticism well? He tends to pout when things don't go well or someone
rips him. You know he will get ripped here if he has a bad game or if the team lose. That's New
York. I just wonder if he is mature enough to handle this. I am not even sure if he knows what
he's getting himself into.

I also have to question what he has ever won in the NBA? He only got past the first round once.
That's a poor track record for a star. Sorry, but a star should not have his team be losing to the Clippers
and the Jazz in the first round.

I also wonder about Melo's commitment to being the best. He is content just being
in the league and he spends more times fooling around at nightclubs and such.

There are too many things that bother me about him.

The Boss
02-22-2011, 21:02
I'll tell you what, if he winds up sucking for the Knicks I will be seriously pissed about it. After all this nonsense he better be worth it

Jimmy from Brooklyn
02-23-2011, 11:46
Damn I wanted a top player when the team comes to Brooklyn. I hope they are at least a decent team by that time

Jersey John
02-28-2011, 12:40
Nobody likes the Nets even in Jersey. The only way a player should want to come here is if they hate giving effort and just want to go through the motions. AWFUL franchise