PDA

View Full Version : Francesa 0n Jeters 3,000th Hit

The Boss
03-25-2011, 15:22
Well anybody listening to Mike Francesa on WFan since the Jeter contract situation this off season has heard Mike try to minimize Derek Jeters 3,000th hit. If anybody dare mention this event as something that should bring credit to Jeters career will quickly get an earfull of Francesa making the point that, since Derek Jeter has never been about great statistics, that THIS great statistic of 3,000 hits has to be ignored or minimized.

I'm not sure why you can't know where Jeters stats lined up against other players during his career, but also realize that 3,000 is a baseball milestone that should be recognized. Why must we not give full credit for the player accomplishing a HOF caliber statistic? Why must we ONLY give him credit for his intangibles? He (Francesa) acts as if 3,000 hits is similar to a Gold Glove that can be awarded by being well liked by fans and writers.

mezz1962
03-25-2011, 15:44
I understand what you are saying and he keeps saying Jeter would not be Jeter if he played for a different team...Really?

I remember Tony Gwynn playing for years with a horrible SD Padres team...I think even being on a horrible team, and playing on the west coast did not hurt in recognizing Tony Gwynn.

There are a lot of players who played on bad teams that DID get the respect they deserved.

Jeter hitting 3,000 hits makes him one of the greats no matter where he played, The added intangibles (5 Rings) brings him up to elite player status.

The Boss
03-28-2011, 17:16
I didnt hear the whole interview but it seemed like Francesa was kissing Jeters fanny about the 3,000 hits!

wolfbugs
03-28-2011, 19:08
I just want to say that Mike Francesa is a phony. He trashes Derek and then today all he could do was kiss Jeter's butt. He did not have the guts to tell Derek what he really thinks about the 3000 hits. But of after the chat a caller phoned to remind Mr Know it all about how he has trashed Derek in the past and that sent Francesa over the edge he got all red faced and denied it all. And of course he hung up on the caller. No one can be right but him.

BrooklynAncestry
03-28-2011, 21:24
Figures he would be all smiles and compliments while interviewing Jeter.