PDA

View Full Version : Wow, That did not take Long

mezz1962
04-02-2011, 06:33
It took 2 hours and 42 minutes for Mets fans to jump off the ledge. I am sure it took less time than that for the apocalypse to arrive, but I did not check my watch as John Buck's grand slam sailed over the fence.

Just listening to Gregg Sussman a few hours after the Mets opened the season with a loss, and him trading in his WFAN host job, to play Psychiatrist so he could talk as many Mets fans off the ledge as possible in his 4 hour shift, made for very entertaining radio.

As Sussman tried to remind all the Met fans that this was ONLY ONE GAME! Met caller after Met caller were not buying any of Sussman's rationality. Who wants to talk about reality when being psychotic is so much more fun?

Truth is, the Mets are not going to finish the season in first place, nor are the odds good that we will be in the wild card hunt, but that does not mean the Mets have turned into the Pittsburgh Pirates either.

Mets fans should try walking in Adam, The Bulls shoes for a few years. He wakes up everyday seeing his beautiful new bride, he smiles realizing how lucky he is, but as he rolls over and gets out of bed to start another wonderful day, staring him in the face is a Chicago Cubs hat, and the constant reminder that his team hasn't won anything in like....FOREVER! Imagine trying to do everything you could, just to live as long as possible giving you a better chance at seeing your team win just once?

As a lifelong Met fan who has seen the failures of George Foster, Bobby Bonilla and Mo Vaughn put on the Mets uniform with the full and complete backing of Met fans everywhere, I'll sit back and just wait for at least the 4th of 5th game before getting my GPS out, and getting directions for "The Ledge"

Year and year I hear the same Mets fans declaring to the world how wonderful it was that the Mets signed a player like Bonilla or Bay, and just a short while later hearing these same Met fans calling WFAN and crying "They knew the Mets made a horrible decision signing these bums". So, it's almost comical hearing these Mets fans calling Sussman after one game and whining that, once again the sky is falling.

The Met fan is a Psychiatrist dream patient. We need Alzheimer pills because we seem to forget that only a few short years ago we were one hit away from going to the World Series, or that the next year we had a wonderful 145 game season, and a not so terrific 17 game finish. This shrink needs to prescribe all Mets fans with some Paxil for our long term anxiety, and some Xanax for those games that bring on sudden panic attacks, and of course a few Ambien's wouldn't be bad either, so we can sleep through the night and dream of roundhouse rights from our 3rd baseman and ground balls finding their way through gimpy first baseman's legs.

Just last year, the Mets had a starting rotation that included Oliver Perez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey, 2 head cases and a pitcher who's only fan was Rex Ryan and that was because he gave him new idea's while his wife's feet were staring him in his face.

So while they did finish towards the bottom of the NL east, a few good things did happen in 2010, like "Big Pelf" actually showing us that he could make more than just the job secured towel boy happy, or R.A. Dickey who came out of nowhere and was so good that he once made a deliriously happy Evan Roberts declare he was now "Smoking the Dickey pipe". Met fans seem to have forgotten that last year, for a few weeks at least the Mets made a nice run and for a short while Mets fans were dreaming that this could turn into one of those magical seasons.

While that season did eventually go down hill, I have hope for the Mets future, because they have a lot of new people running the ship. Yes, I think I have more money to spend than the the Mets....and I've been out of work for months, and of course the Wilpons need to sell the team, but that will never happen till this Maddoff lawsuit is over with.

The hope that all Met fans should have, comes from the fact that this new regime at least respects that we are their fans, and they are trying to acknowledge that they respect our opinion enough to dump Castillo and Olie P. They have already shown that they have enough appreciation for us to say "True, we are not the greatest team, but we can tell you that everyday we will be out there trying our best"

What made me most upset last year was not the Mets play on the field, it was Omar trying to convince me that John Maine and Oliver Perez will be great, that the past few years were nothing more than a figment of Mets fans imaginations, and that this year we will see what these two pitchers are made of. Last year listening to Minaya trying to convince us that Luis has lost weight, has a renewed love for the game and how the Mets organization has all the respect in the world for the Met fans intelligence would have been almost laughable, if it wasn't so sad being feed all that BS.

While, we did learn that the wonderful open letter sent by Mets manager Terry Collins to all Mets fans, was not actually from Terry Collins, and yes it would have been nice for someone in the Mets organization to tell Terry to read it, it did show me one thing...The Mets are trying to show us respect. Collins did acknowledge that a part of the reason Olie and Luis was shown the door, was because the Mets understood the fans anger.

How many Met fans could actually envision Omar standing out there THIS opening day as he watched Olie and Luis warming up, while telling a reporter "These two have made great strides over the winter and we feel they can really contribute to the 2011 Mets" I can almost envision me trying not to throw up.

So I have hope that if a lot of things go right, by the All-Star break somehow we will be seeing stories about "What a shock it is to see the Mets only a few games out". I would love to hear arguments about if we should trade Reyes now or keep him since the Mets are doing so well. One thing I will not do, is give up on the other 161 games because the Mets lost to one of the best young pitchers in baseball, Josh Johnson.

I have no idea what the future hold as the 2011 season unfolds, but I do know one thing, there will be surprises, both good and bad, but there is no reason to jump off the ledge 2 hours and 42 minutes into a 162 game season.

Written by Dominick Mezzapesa
e-mail mezz1962@optonline.net
Twitter @dmezz1120

The Boss
04-02-2011, 12:03
Joe Benigno is the perfect example of this. Every year he cant wait for "games to count" and then about a month later he cant wait for Football season! Francesa has a good point about how a fast start is important for the Mets. They need to hold the interest of their fans as long as they can. Seeing how things unfold is what the season is all about.

Junior
04-02-2011, 20:44
Looks like the Mets are about to blow a lead in the 9th, assuming they blow this game is it still too early?

Jersey John
04-04-2011, 10:47
They blew that lead but got it done and are a huge 2 game winning streak. Amazing!

The Boss
04-06-2011, 09:49
Hey the Mets are flying high folks! 1 more win coupled with a Yankee loss and callers to WFan will start talking about how the Mets are better!

mezz1962
04-06-2011, 11:40
If they take 2 of 3 from the Phillies, Mets fans will of course start talking playoff's LOL

WE ARE SOOOO Bi-Polar