PDA

View Full Version : Does Phil Hughes have Micro-tears in his shoulder?

mezz1962
04-16-2011, 01:58
Does Phil Hughes have Micro-tears in his elbow or shoulder?

On April 8th I published an article that said Phil Hughes would be on the DL after his next start. The Yankees, as they always seem to do, denied, evaded, and claimed "they were not even thinking about such a move."

Today, April 15th, the day after Phil Hughes labored through another start, the Yankees placed him on the 15 day DL.

I wrote that article to point out the Yankees had a serious problem with their 24 year old pitcher, and it goes far beyond "dead Arm." If the Yankees do not know the real reason for Hughes struggles, then they have a much more serious problem with their pitching coach, and medical staff.

I believe Phil Hughes has micro-tears in either his elbow, Labrum, or his rotator cuff. I came to this conclusion, by not only watching Phil Hughes unable to gain back any velocity over his three starts, but the continued struggle he has with his location.

If a pitcher has dead arm, what happens is he loses not only speed, but pop in his fastball, but the location remains. So, a hitter who faces Hughes normally would miss his 93-95 MPH fastball, now has that extra fraction of a second, so he can now turn around Hughes 88-90 MPH pitch.

With a dead arm, the pitcher is able to place the ball where he wants, but it just never seems to get there because it has no life to it, and it's missing that extra zip that you would normally see that last 10 feet to the plate.

When you have micro-tears you lose not only velocity, but also location, since your arm now has to adjust for the tears location, throwing off not only your arm angle, but release point as well.

True, location can be blamed from a pitcher trying to make up for the lost velocity by over throwing the ball, but if you familiar with pitching, if you try to over throw the ball, two things generally happen. The first is, at most you'll gain one mph, and in most cases trying to over throw the ball will result in a lower speed, since you're not as loose, and free throwing. The second thing that will happen, is the ball will sail high, since you now tried to force your arm to go faster, you lose your release point. If you try to continue to over throw the ball, the pitch will be all over the place, high, wide, way inside, the last place the ball will ever be is over the heart of the plate, because a pitcher is constantly trying to find the correct release point.

When I heard that the Yankees would not be sending Phil Hughes for an MRI. I suspect they also believe that he has these micro-tears. Most, if not all Sports radio, and TV host have questioned "Why not send him for an MRI?" It is a fair question, The Yankees are not exposing him to any sort of danger, The MRI is an easy and useful diagnostic tool, they preform thousands of MRI's throughout the country everyday, and being the Yankees I am sure the waiting list is pretty short to schedule an appointment.

When reporters ask "Why not an MRI?" The Yankees response is both asinine, as well as comical. "We do not believe Phil Hughes is suffering anything other than a dead arm." So far I have not heard one reporter ask, "So what's the big deal, why not send him to get an MRI just to be sure?"

So why are the Yankees not sending Hughes to get tested? Two reasons, One: If indeed he does have these micro-tears, the remedy is the exact same as you would use to treat a dead arm. Rest, long toss, stretching, and isometrics to build up strength. Two: If they do an MRI, it will lower Hughes trade value, because once it is verified that indeed he has micro tears, then other teams will not be including him in any trade negotiations.

The problem I see, is the Yankees are not being honest with the kid. Any 24 year old starting his second full year, is understandably worried that this "Dead Arm" maybe permanent, and he may never get his fastball back.

If he has an MRI either it will show the micro-tears, or it will show that he is 100% healthy, and all he has is indeed a "Dead Arm" so he can rest easy, knowing it will just be a matter of building his arm strength back up, and his fastball will once again return.

The Yankees are not doing the MRI for one simple reason and that is trade value, which I find completely dishonest, and also disgusting of them.

I find it amusing that all MLB teams are using this ridiculous pitch count, and inning limitations, because of the so called "health of the pitcher," but when a young pitcher, who has trade value clearly shows that something is wrong, they won't take an hour out to get an MRI, that will show if any damage has been done.

I hope Phil Hughes is fine, but I suspect that this situation is far from over, and I hope these reporters who are acting at best, incompetent, will wake up and start looking for real answers, by asking some tough questions.

Dominick Mezzapesa
twitter @dmezz1120
Email: mezz1962@gmail.com

mezz1962
04-16-2011, 02:57
If you want to talk about being incompetent, I listened to Mike Francesa's interview with Joe Girardi and when they were discussing Hughes's injury, Francesa did not even mention "MRI", in fact he did not ask any questions at all. Francesa let Giradi give his "We think all Phil has is a dead arm"

Your kidding right Mike? Girardi says "HE THINKS all Phil has a dead arm" and you don't ask "Hey Joe, You Think? Why not send the kid for an MRI and be sure?"

Nope Mike just went right past it, and on to the next subject....What a joke

The Boss
04-16-2011, 09:53
Isn't the radiation about 3 years worth for someone getting an MRI? Thats one good reason not to get them if you don't believe they are needed. If the treatment is the same I'm not sure I see the benefit of finding out in an MRI. All that would do is mess with his Psychology saying "theres actually something physically hampering me" instead of "I just need to rest and ill be fine"

mezz1962
04-16-2011, 13:01
"Radiation" refers to any sort of moving energy. A lamp emits radiation. But it’s not radioactive, and it doesn’t use "ionizing radiation"

An MRI works by putting you in a very powerful magnetic field, causing the nuclei of some of the atoms to line up with the magnetic field. This is completely harmless

Those radio waves are called "non-ionizing radiation", because they don’t affect your atoms enough to cause them to react chemically. The frequency is too low. It does cause your body to heat up, very very slightly, but not nearly enough to do damage.

The other thing that people mean by "radiation" is "radioactivity". Radioactivity is small particles that decay, releasing energy and causing damage. There are several kinds of radioactivity, but none of them is used in an MRI.

Ordinary use of an MRI absolutely cannot give you cancer.

mezz1962
04-25-2011, 15:55
TODAY the Yankees announce something is wrong with Hughes