PDA

View Full Version : Manager's affect on a Baseball team

HurricanDrew
05-17-2011, 00:19
The number one thing fans like to gripe about in my opinion is the decision making of a baseball manager. In my opinion people have to understand Baseball is a game of execution. A manager's job is to put the best 9 players on the field that give him the best chance to win. The most glaring thing in that statement is "chance to win." Baseball is different from other sports like football or basketball where coaches can draw up different plays to induce success. Most of the time you can play the numbers game in baseball and still get burned. Its not Terry Collins fault the mets can't drop a bunt down in a key spot, its neither his fault when key players take turns going on the dl, and I'm pretty sure Terry Collins wasn't the one balancing the Wilpon's checkbook these past few years. Same thing with the yankees, Its not Joe Girardi's fault the yankees seemed to get old all at once and that 80 percent of their rotation is a toss up on a nightly basis. Execution trumps all in baseball, whether managers play the numbers or go with the gut fans can kill them every night for a decision that doesn't work out but thats why they play the games..

Junior
05-17-2011, 08:18
Yea they are more for chemistry then x's and o's. Keeping problems under wraps and having happy players is more an issue in baseball

The Boss
05-17-2011, 09:43
Yea I agree with this, people actually blame a manager for a throwing error.

Some things fall on the manager, like a pitching change. Handling personal things sloppily, bad batting line-up. etc

Jersey John
05-17-2011, 11:53
I tend to agree 100%!