PDA

View Full Version : Fred Wilpons comments on Met players

The Boss
05-23-2011, 09:07
The big news today is Fred Wilpons comments on The Mets that he made during a game against the Astros on April 20th. This article is coming out in the "New Yorker" magazine.

WFan story (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/23/mets-fred-wilpon-criticizes-reyes-wright-and-beltran-in-new-yorker-profile/)

He thinks hes going to get Carl Crawford money, said Wilpon after Jose Reyes singled and stole second, leading off for New York. Hes had everything wrong with him. He wont get it.
After Josh Thole struck out, it was David Wrights turn at bat.
Hes pressing, Wilpon said. A really good kid. A very good player. Not a superstar.
Did Fred Wilpon cross the line when assessing the Mets' core to The New Yorker?
Yes, what was he thinking?!
No, it's about time Fred got tough.
Hey, it's nothing that Mets fans haven't already said.
Vote
View Results

But Wilpon wasnt done. He ripped into Carlos Beltran after Wright walked his way on base.
We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series, Wilpon said, referring to himself. Hes sixty-five to seventy percent of what he was.

I'm this reign of pain will continue for Met fans this year. The team has overachieved this year, but this little gem of controversy could very well cause the disruption needed to point this season straight downhill.

Pure Gold
05-23-2011, 09:17
Fred's comments are interesting in the sense that it makes no sense at all why he made them publicly. If he feels that way privately that's fine and he's right on all counts actually. Shows he's at least observant but this doesn't help the team in any way shape or form. Bad move by Fred. Just plain BAD

Jersey John
05-23-2011, 09:22
The Mets are comical. Nothing shocks me with these guys anymore.

wolfbugs
05-23-2011, 12:56
First I am not a Mets Fan, but maybe this is his way of shaking up his team, George S. style....i don't think he said anything these guys did not already know.

mezz1962
05-23-2011, 23:18
The problem is Steinbrenner had a motive whenever he said anything. Wilpon said these things about two players that will be traded and also bashed a player who the Mets touted as the face of the franchise and also every single time backed and stood by Wilpon through this Maddoff mess.

Wilpon is trying to act like he is a fan, believing he will be more liked.

The Boss
05-24-2011, 09:18
Yesterday Francesa was saying that there was no real damage done and Wilpon wasnt very unfair with what he said. I don't think that's the main point with this. I think the fact that he added controversy and insulted the players. If you are married to someone and they say that you are not as good a wife as some other lady, it doesnt matter how accurate that is, it is insulting. You dont want your boss talking about how you arent as good as you were, or get paid too much, or anything else. Its insulting.