PDA

View Full Version : Time for the Mets to make Jose an offer

mezz1962
05-30-2011, 18:09
As of now The Mets have not engaged Jose Reyes' agent Peter Greenberg in contract talks, and I believe this is a mistake.

It is time for the Mets to turn the conversation in a more positive direction. The fan base is up in arms, and for some moronic reason some fans believe the Mets are set to become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NL east.

Caller after caller contend that the Mets are about to become this 40 million dollar payroll team which is ludicrous since they are already committed to around $85 million, and that's before replacing a whole list of players who contracts will expire at the end of the 2011 season.

The Mets in my opinion will wind up with a $110-$120 million dollar a year payroll, yes it is $20 to $30 million less than their 2011 payroll, but far from the $100 million reduction some fans insist the Mets will subject them too.

Since these moronic callers continue to blitz WFAN with their uninformed, and unintelligent comments it is the perfect time for the Mets to make Jose Reyes an offer, and cut these negative calls off at the pass.

If the Mets make Jose a 5 year, $90 million dollar offer, it will show the fan base that they are serious about keeping Jose, and now "The sky is falling" Met fan can relax a little bit knowing the Mets will at least try to hold onto their young energetic star.

This $18 million dollar a year offer is more than fair, and the ball will now be in Jose's court. I am sure Jose's agent Peter Greenberg will be looking for something similar to the Carl Crawford's 7 year, $142 million dollar deal that he got from the Red Sox, but with Jose's previous injury problems I would highly doubt that Reyes will receive such a lengthy offer.

If Greenberg insist on a longer term contract, then the Mets should consider it, but at a lower cost per year salary such as a 7 year, $116 million dollar offer which is just above $16.5 million a year.

No matter how Greenberg spins it, he will not be able to escape the perception that Jose Reyes is an injury prone athlete and 7 years is most likely a little longer than most teams will offer. Bottom line is no matter how well Jose plays this year his future salary is pretty much set, because of the injury cloud that follows him, even if he did put together a nice stretch of years where the only serious injury he had was a thyroid problem, Jose has had previous leg injuries, and as we all know, Jose's game is his legs.

So it is time for the Mets to make Jose a contract offer, and turn the conversation from the Mets financial woes, to "Will Jose take the Mets more than fair offer?"

By Dominick Mezzapesa
Twitter @dmezz1120
Email mezz1962@gmail.com
WFAN Caller: Dominick from Hicksville

The Boss
05-30-2011, 21:05
I'm sure that Jose being the utmost professional would refuse to negotiate or entertain offers during the season - he is focused on trying to win a World Series for the Mets this year.

But seriously I heard the caller today, I think with Adam the Bull, but maybe with Steve Somers bring up this. Make a decent offer. I will tell you one thing, Jose Reyes couldnt care less about where he plays. I'm sure he lives in the Dominican and probably has never been a fan of any team or city. The only thing that matter is the $. I can almost picture him wanting to miss the post season so he doesnt have to work more days without extra pay.

Junior
05-31-2011, 14:35
The guy is so overhyped by Met fans just looking to be mad about anything possible. Compaining about Reyes is just ver convenient right now. Unload him for some free medical equipment or something, because he'll be batting .250 with a nagging injury next year