PDA

View Full Version : Chris "Mad Dog" Russo in Ny Post

The Boss
07-04-2011, 23:50
This is the link for former WFan host Chris "Mad Dog" Russo (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/chris_russo_lDqOMRnQGWSM4R1YmChj9L)'s interview in the NY Post. here the very brief interview:

Nearly three years after his split from Mike Francesa, the face and voice of Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio, Chris Russo, spoke with The Post's Justin Terranova about life on satellite radio, the way he left WFAN and the New York sports scene.

Q: What's the biggest adjustment you had to make going over to Sirius/XM?
A: You don't have a home team, so you have to look for the national topic that will grab everybody and get everyone on the same page. Whether that be Tiger (Woods), (Ben) Roethlisberger, LeBron (James). You have to find the topic that everyone has an opinion on because they are not going to call up and question why the Mets did not pinch-hit in the eighth inning.

Q: Nicest part of this format?
A: The fact that I don't have to break down when Derek Jeter is going to get his 3,000th hit or where Jose Reyes will go on a day-by-day basis, the flexibility of the show is what I enjoy. When the Giants won the World Series last year, it would have been frustrating not to be able to talk about that.

Q: Any regrets with the way your split with Mike went down?
A: Should I have handled it differently? You can certainly make that case. It's very tricky leaving a place you've worked for 19 years. I don't know if there's an easy way to do that. I do think I could have been a little more up front about it. . . . But I think Mike and I quietly both know what we meant to each other's career.

Q: Where do most of your listeners come from?
A: You get a lot of displaced New Yorkers that are happy to get the chance to listen to me, which gives them the feel of being back home. Philly, Boston, New York, the Eastern seaboard we do well in. You have to think where Howard (Stern) is big, too. That helps us. There's a lot of anti-ESPN Radio feel. Most people don't like ESPN Radio. They don't like the vanilla format where all they hear is ESPN guests, nobody is that critical, they don't hear that many calls.

Q: Some quick hitters on New York: Jose Reyes MVP? Can Mets stay in the wild-card race? Yankees or Red Sox? Where will Plaxico Burress end up?
A: Reyes is behind Matt Kemp and Prince Fielder. The NL wild- card will be around 88-90 wins and (the Mets) probably aren't there right now. Think Red Sox are better, but seem headed toward ALCS. (Burress) deserves a chance and if I had to guess I'd say the Rams.

I do not have Sirius so I only have heard Dogs show 2 times when I used a rental truck and drove up north. It had been awhile since I heard Dog so I was really exited to hear the show and I was disapointed. He was talking about some nonsense that I imagine nobody could possibly care about, and he kept wanting the other guys working with hiim to give their opinions, and they sounded like they also couldnt care less about the topic. I would love to hear Dog get back with Francesa, but I'll choose Francesas show over Dogs everytime If I have the choice.

Jersey John
07-05-2011, 10:42
I do think I could have been a little more up front about it. . . .

So Mike had no idea he was leaving? Was he talking to Sirius behind everyones back? to be fair, unless your partner is a mortal enemy it really would be nice to give him a heads up

Jimmy from Brooklyn
07-12-2011, 09:45
It's been 3 years so maybe in 2 more when the contract is up we can get the doggie back with Mike

thekorean
07-12-2011, 23:08
Mad Dog is such a tool. I wonder how his XM radio show is doing. Heard it wasnt pulling in good ratings.

MeHereYouThere
07-13-2011, 23:05
Miss hearing Dog with Mike in the afternoons. I think everyone can agree the two are better together then they are apart. That being said Doggie has to regret how things have played out. He is basically in Radio Siberia where no one listens to his show. One of the problems with a national show is that you may have a broad exposure but you are never really that relevant anywhere.

fansince87
08-22-2011, 14:24
You can't have it all. Dog got the $$$ and top billing he was after but he isn't relevant here in NY anymore. He'd pretty much be totally forgotten on the scene here except for when Carton does Mad Dog impressions.

Probably was a bit of a surprise to Mike. Most likely he was talking behind everyones back first before his contract was out and had to keep it quiet. These things snowball and you keep putting it off. He most likely kept avoiding it past the appropriate time to come clean about it and people were mad for springing it on them a bit late in the game. Probably burned bridges as well. Interesting if things are weird to go back to the FAN and he ends up on EPN. He speaks bad about ESPN in that piece but Dog has always talked out of both sides of his mouth. His own show and more $$$ make it easy to see Mad Dog on 1050 after his XM stint.