PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Getting Hughes'd To Bad Phil

212SportsWriterMike
07-24-2011, 05:58
Sure the Yankees blew out the Oakland A's Friday night at the stadium 17-7, but what was lost in all the offense from the Yankees was the fact that Phil Hughes was awful against one of the worst offense teams in baseball.

You would figure 17 runs would be enough for any pitcher to walk off the mound with a win, but Friday night Phil Hughes proved otherwise. Hughes couldn't make it out of the fifth inning, surrendering seven runs on nine hits in 4.1 IP against one of the worst offenses in all of baseball. Cause for concern? I think so.

Normally when a pitcher has a long stint on the DL like Hughes had, you have to give them time to get readjusted and you can't worry about one bad start. But since the second half of 2010, the Yankees have become used to an ineffective Phil Hughes. The concerns about Hughes' ability are mounting.

The Yankees sent Ivan Nova to Triple-A to make room for Hughes, and it looks like they might have made a mistake. Problem is, Nova earned his spot in the rotation and has been a pleasant surprise for a rookie this season. Sure he's had his rough spots, but Nova has easily been more effective than Hughes has been since last year.

Now with Nova's ankle injury and a trip to the DL, the Yankees will have no choice but to keep Hughes in the rotation for now. But if his struggles continue, they cannot allow the young righty to keep hurting the team. The Yankees won't be able to score 17 runs every night, and eventually Hughes has to help himself or he'll find himself out of the rotation.

With an extended DL stay for A-Rod, I was under the impression that the Yankees would look to add a bat at the deadline above everything else, but with all the doubts about Hughes' effectiveness, the Yankees might want to make starting pitching their top priority come the trade deadline. The leash on Hughes is shortening, and he may just pitch his way out of the rotation, and into the bullpen.

VIA: http://212sports.com
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @michaelmoraitis

wolfbugs
07-24-2011, 11:21
I think we have to give Hughes more then two games back. I understand your point but let's see next start.

Jersey John
07-24-2011, 13:22
Hughes was good last start and so-so in the first one off the DL. Looking awful against the A's certainly isnt good news but we can hope it was just an off day. Yankees certainly need him to be at least a pretty good starter for them, so just give him some time and hope it kicks in by October

paadtarmick
07-24-2011, 15:09
I had many similar thoughts at the game Friday. I'm glad we're done discussing Jeter's 3000th, The All-Star game, and Posada's June. Because this team's achielle's is the same as last years: A lack of reliable starting pitching. As it stands, CC is a beast, but there is a dramatic fall off after that. Even if Hughes restores confidence before October, the Yankees still lack a solid 3rd starter. I'm not relying on Colon, Garcia, or Nova. And AJ Burnett...is AJ Burnett. The Yankees should seek another arm, but who and at what cost? Jiminez seems like the go-to, but uncertainty about his drop-off and makeup for NY make me leary. Fortunately, Brian Cashman's spot-on decision making of late is upstaged only by his newfound candor. In Cash I Trust.

The Boss
07-24-2011, 20:34
Phil Hughes looks like Al Hughes on the mound lately but we can just let him find himself during the next month. i still feel there is a solid chance he will be pitching well by the postseason.

Junior
07-24-2011, 23:17
Including Nova, the hanks have 1 #1 guy in Sabathia and maybe Colon is #2, but then you have 4 #4 guys. If Hughes can pitch at the level of Colon by postseason I think you have to take that right now

Cynthia_Marie84
07-25-2011, 13:47
We shouldn't give up on him, and I agree on CC being our #1 guy. I wish we didn't rely on him so much. I kind of miss Petitte these days, old Petitte and Joba when he first came up. Any news of when Joba will come back, by the way? Think he'll be any better after having that surgery on his arm?

The Boss
07-27-2011, 23:22
Todays line;

6IP, 2ER, 9Hits, 1 walk. Not too bad.

212SportsWriterMike
07-28-2011, 05:20
Not too bad, but 9 hits against the Mariners, what does that translate to in the playoffs? I still have several doubts, but it's a move in the right direction at least

The Boss
08-02-2011, 23:21
You ask what it translates to in the playoffs... How about a no-hitter or maybe 6 runs in 2 innings. He can be great or awful.

Tonight we have 6 inning, 3 Hits, 0ER with 0 walks.

212SportsWriterMike
08-03-2011, 16:54
That's two in a row Boss! I'll be the first to say I'm wrong when he actually goes ahead and proves it.

Jimmy from Brooklyn
08-10-2011, 12:05
Yes 2 in a row and then a bull pen outing. I'm not sure I can understand the logic in that