PDA

View Full Version : With No #2 Starter For the Yanks, Bartolo's The Man

212SportsWriterMike
07-31-2011, 18:19
The Yankees year-long quest to find a number two starter from outside the organization is finished. And the result? A huge failure. The weak trade market certainly stifled the Bombers search and now they have to look within to find their solution. So who is it?

The Yankees announced today that their top pitching prospect, Manny Banuelos, will be upgraded from Double-A to Triple-A. The common thought is that by the end of the season, Banuelos may end up in the Yankees' rotation.

This, in my opinion, is a bad idea. Banuelos has a very high grade when it comes to his value to the organization, but rushing him to the majors is the wrong idea. Besides, he won't be able to have enough of an impact, at least not the impact the Yankees need.

Call me crazy, but at this point the Yankees' best hope is none other than Bartolo Colon. Colon has been consistently strong throughout this entire season, much to the surprise of any person in baseball.

He has kept pitch counts low, gone deep into games and rarely allows games to get away from him. Long story short, he gives the Yankees the best chance to win when compared to their other options.

The Yankees extreme dependence on Colon wasn't something that was envisioned when he joined the Yankees as a non-roster invitee. He has pitched well enough this season, and more importantly has been consistent enough to get the nod as the Yankees number two man in the rotation.

It might not be what the Yankees wanted, but it's what the Bombers will have to live with. With few options left, it appears that Bartolo is the man.

@michaelmoraitis

The Boss
07-31-2011, 20:57
Yea Bartolo is clearly the #2 guy as far as I am concerned. I am scared he will hit a wall by post season time.. with an old man like him I almost want him put on the 15 day DL in August just to save his energy and still have 5 or 6 starts before post season to find his stride

mezz1962
07-31-2011, 21:39
Unfortunately Bartolo is not a #2 pitcher, as the year has gone on his numbers have steadily gotten worse and July has not been a great month.

In 6 starts he only reached the 7rth inning once and starting against playoff potential opponents his numbers are not looking too good
Boston 2 runs 5 hits in 6 inning
Texas 5 runs 9 hits 4.1/3 innings
TB 5 runs 10 hits 5-2/3 innings
TB 1 run 6 hits in 6-1/3 inning

You also have to add in the fact that he did not pitch in 2010 and in 2011 has pitched in more innings than he has in the past 5 years. The ONLY way Bartolo even makes the playoffs to pitch is if the Yankees get enough of a cushion in the Wild card race that they can rest him in Sept.

I also think that by then, team will have caught onto his outside pitch that sneaks back over the plate and will now be looking for it. I also notice this past month that he has a lot less movement than he did earlier in the season, which is the first indication that his arm is tiring.

The Boss
08-01-2011, 00:10
The man was top notch in the first half. He had several games I can think of that he went deep and gave up no runs. after the break he had the game that he was pulled in the first inning and that killed his ERA. It doesnt matter though, he is about as automatic for 6 innings and 2 runs as we are gonna get for our #2.

212SportsWriterMike
08-01-2011, 08:28
OF COURSE he isn't a real #2 guy but what else do you have? A.J. Burnett and Phil Hughes change with the weather and are unpredictable at best, Freddy Garcia has been good but not as good as Colon, and Nova can only pitch a certain amount of innings and has very little experience, sure Colon isn't ideal as a #2 but with what they have he is the best they'll get him his rest now that Nova is healthy again they'll be able to afford to rest him regularly if necessary, he'll be ready to pitch in the playoffs and if not, send him to the Dominican Republic and shoot some more stem cells in his arm, that'll get it done

Jersey John
08-01-2011, 10:41
We are in agreement