PDA

View Full Version : No Mo For Rivera?

212SportsWriterMike
08-10-2011, 18:06
Before Yankee fans start committing suicide thinking their immortal closer, Mariano Rivera, is finished for good, there are a few things you need to know before you jump. So step back from that ledge my friends.

First of all, Mariano Rivera is not finished. Ask most people around baseball and they will tell you, Rivera is still one of the best if not the best closers in baseball. That fact still can't be disputed.

Mariano Rivera just happened to face two teams that he hasn't had a great deal of success off of in his career. The 3.60 ERA that Rivera has against the Angels is his worst against any team in baseball.

Also, Rivera hasn't fared well against the Red Sox historically because of the numerous times a year he faces them. The fact that he faced both in the same week would make it more likely he could blow two saves in the same week.

Don't worry about his age either. Rivera is 41-years old, but his quick reaction off the mound to field a bunt in Fenway the other night was evidence enough that he hasn't slowed down physically.

In fact, if Eduardo Nunez was covering third like he should have, Rivera moves quick enough to get the out at third and ultimately save the game successfully. If that happened, this wouldn't even be a conversation right now. Rivera is still, and has been for years, one of the best athletes in the game.

What about Rivera's six blown saves in 2011? That must be a record for him, right? Wrong. Rivera had the same total in 2003, when he blew six games then we weren't talking about the end of his career.

He was only 33 at that point and although it's still early enough for him to break his own single-season record, it isn't out of the realm of reality that he blow this many saves and still be at the top of his game.

Don't chalk it up to him being finished, not just yet. Rivera is still very much a force in this league, and the slump he's in, isn't uncommon for the greatest closer ever. I think we owe him the benefit of the doubt before we start writing him off.

And retirement? That won't happen until he at least breaks Trevor Hoffman's all-time saves record. He's only 14 away, and his retirement won't come a single save sooner.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @michaelmoraitis
VIA: http://212sports.com

The Boss
08-10-2011, 18:09
Yea I don't think anybody thinks Mo is done. It's nice to get these bad outtings out of the way nice and early before post season time.

Junior
08-10-2011, 20:43
Nothing to worry about here folks. Our biggest worry with mo should be if he keeps pitching after this contract

Jersey John
08-11-2011, 20:18
Well Damn Mo blew it again! Not all the way but another Homer served up. I sure would feel better if he had a good outing sometime soon