PDA

View Full Version : Adam the Bulls final show on WFan

The Boss
08-12-2011, 13:45
I saw Adam the Bull make mention of this on his Twitter account and I glad I caught it.
Tomorrow, Saturday between 4 - 7:30 The Bull will broadcast over the airwaves of WFan for one final time. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that Bull was a top notch fill-in guy that really should of had his own show.
Unfortunately for us in New York, as most of you already know, Adam is leaving to host an afternoon drive show in Cleveland, so this will be your last chance to wish the big guy farewell and wish him well.
WFan won't be the same without him.

The Dudes
08-12-2011, 15:32
AdamtheBull is the best acquisition by Cleveland since the 2003 NBA Draft.

Jersey John
08-12-2011, 15:52
Hope I get to call in and wish the bull well. Good call TDudes.

Pablor
08-12-2011, 20:41
I hail from the South Shore of Long Island and I'm now living in Northern, NJ. I have been an avid FAN listener since the station's inception. While I've always had very strong feelings/opinions about not only sports but also the FAN personalities, I've maybe called the station a handful of times, and I've never written or published anything anywhere. I just joined this community because I have very strong opinions about Adam the Bull. While I do not question his sports knowledge, I have to admit that I've always found his style to be VERY annoying and condescending (among other things). He has a pompous attitude that denigrates callers-mostly the callers who disagree with him about anything. He is annoyingly combative-you can always tell he could care less about what a caller is saying because of his, "ahems" that he sports constantly. He thinks he is Mr. know It All...he has been wrong on so many occasions, yet he always speaks to callers and to the audience like his opinion and his word is "gospel." I listen to the FAN a lot, and I can't tell you how much Adam's style irks me. Maybe that's the reason why he was never offered a better gig at the station. Look, I wish him no "ill will"...I hope he finds success in Cleveland. I can honestly say, however, that I am one avid listener who will not miss Adam the Bull's personality and style one bit!!! HASTA LUEGO ADAM!!!

Paul R.

The Boss
08-12-2011, 22:58
I don't know who you might be thinking of specifically, but I'm sure its not Adam the Bull.

Pablor
08-13-2011, 01:09
Again, I have listened to WFAN NY since its inception. I am very familiar with anyone who has worked there as an on-air radio host.

So, I am talking about Adam the Bull....there's no mistake about that. He is one of the most annoying and pompous hosts on the station. His confrontational and "Mr. Know It All" and "my word is gospel and, if you don't agree with me you're terribly wrong" on-air style irks me to no end. While I wish him the best in Cleveland, I will not be one of the listeners who will miss him....

FanDROID
08-13-2011, 10:41
To each his own I guess. If you think Adam the Bull is that way, than I can only imagine how you think Francesa is.

Pablor
08-13-2011, 11:31
It's funny you mention Mike Francesa. I've listened to him for so many years...I have ambivalent feelings about Francesa. While his sports knowledge can't be questioned, I loathe the way he treats most callers, his interviewing style, and his "Holier Than Thou" attitude. His show was so much better when he worked win Mad Dog....there's no doubt about that!!! I know for a while there was a thought that Mike would be paired with someone else...I'm not quite sure what happened with that. I can only take Mike for so long...I don't know if I've ever witnessed an interviewer as bad as Francesa...SHEESH!!! You would think that someone of his caliber would be a great interviewer....but he's far from that!!! Among many other flaws, why does Mike ask the interviewee a question then proceed to either cut the person off by answering the question himself, or by peppering the person with add-ons and other questions before the person has had a chance to respond??? Maddening....

While there's an annoying quality about every on-air host, I'd have to say if I had to choose someone as "the best," I would say it's Beningo & Evan Roberts. Others who are annoying and terrible...Steve Somers and Tony Page...I am so sick of Steve's schtick I could shoot myself!!! He thinks he's so funny but he's not...he's just annoying as hell...how many times can he say, "serious October baseball" or, "the bottom line is...." & Tony Page??? My goodness is he BAD!!!!

& I don't know who can stand Craig Carton....my goodness...he is the most annoying of them all....every time I hear his voice I cringe. I love Boomer...I'm not sure why he has chosen to associate himself with Craig Carton...

While I still tune into the FAN periodically, I've chosen to listen to 1050ESPN radio a lot...their programming and on-air hosts are so much better than what the FAN has to offer....

The Boss
08-13-2011, 19:18
Ok thats great. This thread is about Adam The Bulls last show and I listened until he had a guest on and then the end of the show. Class all around and nice to hear many regulars including our own Dominick in Hicksville giving their good byes. As many of them said - We will have the Bull back in NY at some point down the line. Best of luck and so long for now Bull.

Pablor, you're stuff is all great but you should talk about all those other hosts in the threads about them or open a new one if you want

Pablor
08-13-2011, 21:18
Sure...you got it, no problem. Someone mentioned Mike in his reply so I just thought I'd comment on it....all good. I was actually on the road today and had the chance to listen to most of the Bull's final show-I have no problem stating that I thought it was an excellent show and it was well done. His Mom's call in was classic...good stuff indeed. I wish him the best....

Jersey John
08-13-2011, 21:26
Thats a brutal job putting him on same time as the Yankees game. What did his mom say?? I'm sure that was great. So long Bull

Pablor
08-13-2011, 22:15
Yeah, I hear you...although I'm a Mets fan (God help me) I follow the Bombers as well....was flippin back to get Yankee updates. Unbeknownst to Bull, his Mom called in and Bull says..."Oh man, my Mom is calling in...I have to put my Mom on!" She proceeds to gush (in an excited tone) about what a wonderful son he is, how much she loves him and how proud she is of him. You could tell Bull was getting a bit emotional but he handled it like a pro...saying, "I love you Ma, you're the best." I enjoyed the exchange....good stuff indeed.

Pablor
08-13-2011, 22:25
He'll be on 92.3 on the FAN in Cleveland beginning August 29th....it's a new station that's opening for business on that day. I'm interested to see how he does in the Cleveland market. At least he'll be living much closer to his beloved Bengals (good luck with that awful franchise) and Cubbies (same thing). Look, I can't talk....I'm a Mets fan and a Knicks fan...so I know all about awful franchises. :) Apparently the company that owns the FAN here in NY is the same one that will own the station in Cleveland...so Bull didn't even have to tender a resignation letter.....amazing good fortune!!!

Junior
08-13-2011, 23:25
I'm still trying to figure out how you think he bashes his callers but whatever. Good show today Bull and good luck in Cleveland

fansince87
08-14-2011, 16:29
Also don't see where Bull bashes callers. Tough love maybe. Those who were acting stupid and deserved it maybe but always thought bull was just fine with his callers. Don't see the Mr. know-it-all thing either. He is not wishy-washy like Evan Roberts and measuring words. Bull just showed confidence and he has a deep voice and authoritative tone. Never took it as pompous or know-it-all. You have to distinguish between what something may sound like and what it really is.

I'll miss Bull but I'll probably listen online and/or do the podcast thing for Bulls show if available. Francesa's open then later on catching Bull's open sounds good! And Sat/Sun mornings can be replaced with Czaban and Bull podcasts. Up early and having to deal with the likes of Neer(boring) and Dave Rothenberg(just plain bad) is hard to deal with.

It was a good last show. GL in Cleveland. Hopefully Bull will be back someday.

Inundated
08-21-2011, 15:14
I come here as a Northeast Ohioan anxious to hear Adam's debut a week from Monday. (I found this forum from a link on a local sports blog, where the blogger was asking "why do they need to bring in someone from NYC?")

Once I heard he was coming to the new 92.3, I did some Google searching, and listened to a couple of his WFAN shows, including this final show. I had never heard OF him until he was announced as 92.3's new PM drive host, and had never heard him until those last two WFAN shows.

But I'll agree with this, from my own perspective:

Also don't see where Bull bashes callers. Tough love maybe. Those who were acting stupid and deserved it maybe but always thought bull was just fine with his callers. Don't see the Mr. know-it-all thing either. He is not wishy-washy like Evan Roberts and measuring words. Bull just showed confidence and he has a deep voice and authoritative tone. Never took it as pompous or know-it-all. You have to distinguish between what something may sound like and what it really is.

Adam is VERY GOOD (opinion formed by listening to two shows, granted). I did not get this impression at all.

We have such awful sports talk radio in the Cleveland market. Horrible. The "all-sports" station, WKNR, is pathetic. It leans heavily on schtick, know-it-all-rich-kids who are only on the air because their rich fathers helped the owner buy the place (or because they kiss butt with that rich son-of-a-lawyer).

They have a now-former TV sports anchor in middays, who was well liked and regarded when he was on the old WHK, but now - he prepares for nothing and is surrounded by the aforementioned annoying children.

Adam's up against the last hour of Rome on 850, then an abomination called "Afternoon R&R", hosted by the Cavaliers' former TV guy with the most affected TV Guy Voice you've ever heard, paired with the former afternoon drive-turned-night host who is the Cleveland market's biggest Steelers fan. No, I'm not making this up.

Adam's opening words a week from Monday should be "I hate the Steelers". (And he does, as a Bungles, er, Bengals fan.) His Bengals fandom will create a little noise, but we mostly sympathize with their fans, and when either team is playing the Steelers... the enemy of my enemy...you know the rest.

Quite simply, Adam is going to blow "R&R" off the dial in Week 1.

Now, the "big gun" in afternoons is the afternoon talk host on WTAM, the station that carries all the pro teams. But Triv doesn't do "sports talk", unless it's big news (coach gets fired, QB gets hurt, etc.). His show is mostly "a show about nothing", or whatever's on Triv's mind (sometimes, one and the same).

Triv will be harder to crack. He's been dominant #1 or near it in PM drive in Cleveland for 15-plus years.

But R&R should just sign off now to save the embarrassment.

Junior
08-21-2011, 16:46
Yea, Adam dos not bash callers.. The guy who said that wont be backed up by many people.

Are you taking about the Cleveland Frowns website? Looks like a good site. The only problem is they, ya know, talk about Cleveland sports. Let us know how Adam is received up there

The Boss
08-21-2011, 20:11
I come here as a Northeast Ohioan anxious to hear Adam's debut a week from Monday. (I found this forum from a link on a local sports blog, where the blogger was asking "why do they need to bring in someone from NYC?")

Once I heard he was coming to the new 92.3, I did some Google searching, and listened to a couple of his WFAN shows, including this final show. I had never heard OF him until he was announced as 92.3's new PM drive host, and had never heard him until those last two WFAN shows.

But I'll agree with this, from my own perspective:

Adam is VERY GOOD (opinion formed by listening to two shows, granted). I did not get this impression at all.

We have such awful sports talk radio in the Cleveland market. Horrible. The "all-sports" station, WKNR, is pathetic. It leans heavily on schtick, know-it-all-rich-kids who are only on the air because their rich fathers helped the owner buy the place (or because they kiss butt with that rich son-of-a-lawyer).

They have a now-former TV sports anchor in middays, who was well liked and regarded when he was on the old WHK, but now - he prepares for nothing and is surrounded by the aforementioned annoying children.

Adam's up against the last hour of Rome on 850, then an abomination called "Afternoon R&R", hosted by the Cavaliers' former TV guy with the most affected TV Guy Voice you've ever heard, paired with the former afternoon drive-turned-night host who is the Cleveland market's biggest Steelers fan. No, I'm not making this up.

Adam's opening words a week from Monday should be "I hate the Steelers". (And he does, as a Bungles, er, Bengals fan.) His Bengals fandom will create a little noise, but we mostly sympathize with their fans, and when either team is playing the Steelers... the enemy of my enemy...you know the rest.

Quite simply, Adam is going to blow "R&R" off the dial in Week 1.

Now, the "big gun" in afternoons is the afternoon talk host on WTAM, the station that carries all the pro teams. But Triv doesn't do "sports talk", unless it's big news (coach gets fired, QB gets hurt, etc.). His show is mostly "a show about nothing", or whatever's on Triv's mind (sometimes, one and the same).

Triv will be harder to crack. He's been dominant #1 or near it in PM drive in Cleveland for 15-plus years.

But R&R should just sign off now to save the embarrassment.

So this is going to be Clevelands 3rd sports station? That is a surprise.

Fell free to talk Bull here if you don't have your own site out there. Bulls fans will always have a home here. Enjoy and I hope you take Triv out of the #1 spot soon.

Inundated
08-22-2011, 22:02
So this is going to be Clevelands 3rd sports station? That is a surprise.

Fell free to talk Bull here if you don't have your own site out there. Bulls fans will always have a home here. Enjoy and I hope you take Triv out of the #1 spot soon.

Thanks, Boss! We have plenty of sites here...I was just looking for an NYC/WFAN fans perspective on Adam, and it looks like I've found it here. There probably won't be much overlap after this.

Cleveland has one-and-a-half "all sports" stations. WKNR/850, and its peashooter daytime little brother, WWGK/1540. 92.3 will make two(-and-a-half).

Then there's the Big One, WTAM, which actually does news and conservative talk (it's Cleveland's home for Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh until 3!).

After 3, Triv is a former sports talk host who can talk sports if needed, then the Indians/Cavs are on at night. Bob Frantz hosts around the games or if there is no game 7-midnight. He's another former sports talker who moved into general talk, but can still talk sports - the shows after games are post-game sports shows.

Since it has all the pro teams, WTAM can cast a pretty heavy sports shadow over any competitor, and will probably end up being Adam's target once WKNR makes the 5th change in its afternoon drive show when Adam wipes 'em out.

Inundated
08-22-2011, 22:04
Are you taking about the Cleveland Frowns website? Looks like a good site. The only problem is they, ya know, talk about Cleveland sports. Let us know how Adam is received up there

Sure will. Those tired with WKNR are almost giving him a parade, and he's not even on yet.

Yep...it's Cleveland Frowns. I don't hit the sports blogs locally much, so I only stumbled upon it when searching for news about the new station. Ohio Media Watch, a local media blog, has been all over the new station...weeks before it was announced.

shelly
09-25-2011, 11:52
adam the bull is the best thing to happen to cleveland since pete franklin..to all you young ones pete was a hugh sports talk guy in cleveland from the 60's to the 80's..in 1987 wfan started and paid huge bucks to franklin to come to NY and host wfan afternoon drivetime..it was not a marriage made in heaven..the fans hated pete and pete hated the callers..within 2 weeks of his first show we would hear daily rants from pete with his "FIRE ME" constantly heard thru the airwaves..pete soon got his wish and returned to cleveland where they still loved him..sadly pete passed away in the '90's