PDA

View Full Version : More AROD Injury and Distraction News

212SportsWriterMike
08-19-2011, 13:39
The long awaited return for A-Rod is rapidly approaching, but it seems the Yankees will have to wait until at least Saturday for his return. GM Brian Cashman had originally thought Rodriguez would be back by the second week of August.

Rodriguez has already joined the team but has yet to be activated after his six week stint on the DL. Rodriguez is trying to be optimistic that he will play this weekend against Minnesota, but it is doubtful that will happen.

"The one thing that I'm lacking the most is first-step quickness and defense, and opening up my gait and really trying to make good turns going home to second or first to third," Rodriguez said. "Today we did a little bit of that, and tomorrow we'll have another session."

There is no question that every player who goes on the disabled list wants to return as soon as possible, but A-Rod and the Yankees have to look at the big picture. As it stands now, the Yankees have been playing very good baseball since A-Rod's surgery.

There is absolutely no reason to rush him back to the lineup. If he isn't ready, he isn't ready. The Yankees aren't suffering without their clean-up hitter, finding themselves atop the AL East by half a game without him. Rodriguez's bat will be vital for a playoff run, and I think he and the Yankees realize that.

In other A-Rod news, Rodriguez has yet to meet with Major League Baseball to discuss his possible involvement in illegal poker games, something the MLB had warned him not to take part in. A-Rod commented briefly.

"The only thing I have to say about that is it was extremely inaccurate and unfair,'' Rodriguez said. "I look forward to meeting with them as soon as possible and putting this behind me."

The question wasn't what was fair or accurate, the question is if Rodriguez took part in illegal gambling. He was told not to and despite the specifics of the report possibly being false, the only thing that's important is that he was there in the games when he shouldn't have been.

In other news, A-Rod is on the Board of Trustees for the University of Miami whose athletes had been riddled with scandal in recent weeks. He also offered a brief comment in regards to that situation.

"I'm just very sad about the whole thing,'' he said, adding he had never had any contact with ex-booster Nevin Shapiro, who claims to have plied members of the Hurricanes with cash, gifts and prostitutes.

Is it just me, or does it seem Rodriguez is always connected to some kind of scandal? Whether directly or indirectly, A-Rod always seems to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

https://twitter.com/#!/michaelmoraitis