PDA

View Full Version : UFC 134 Silva vs. Okami Main and Co-Main Event Preview

Mooch
08-24-2011, 20:52
I literally can not wait for this event to happen. I have been a fan of MMA since my first live event at "The War of 04'" (Hughes vs. St. Pierre I). The anticipation and fever surrounding this event are certainly second to none. Live from the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brzazil the Ultimate Fighting Championship presents UFC 134 Silva vs. Okami. When one thinks of the UFC, it's hard for the name Gracie to not be on the tip of their tongue. The Gracie family legacy in Brazil dates back to the early 20th century. They are the creator of BJJ, one of the key components to present day MMA.

The five fight main event features a middleweight title fight, a rematch, as well as the leader of one of the best MMA camps in the world. Also their is a Brazilian fighter in each of the fights, which I like alot. It should bring in an extra little spark into the cage for each fight.

Anderson "The Spider" Silva vs. Yushin "Thunder" Okami

What is there really to say about the current UFC Middleweight champion that no one already knows? Longest reining champion, 13 straight wins, most consecutive title defenses, ESPN + Yahoo Sports #1 P4P. The last blemish on his record was due to an illegal kick to Mr. Okami, who he happends to be defending his title against. However keep in mind that this loss was in 2006. Ahhhhhhhhhhh and then we look at Yushin Okami, the UFC brass has some people scratching their heads when this fight was signed. Most said that this fight could not be marketed, even with Okami's 10-2 UFC record. Hardcore fans are aware of his prowess in the division and understand that this titlefight is certainly well deserved. He has notable wins over fighters such as Nate Marquadt, Mark Munoz, and Alan Belcher. It is always hard to pick against "The Spider" at any event, and I do believe that Okami's Judo may in fact give Silva some issues. With that being said, Silva is NOT losing this fight in his back yard.

Silva TKO via knees midway through the 2nd.

Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

Here is our rematch! Who could forget seeing Forrest Griffin rising from the octagon in pure ecstacy after defeating Shogun via rear naked choke at UFC 76. That was a fight that most people gave Forrest no chance to win. After that win he has gone on to claim the UFC crown, as well as having victories under his belt against Tito and Franklin. I believe that Forrest is going to want to keep this fight against the cage as long as humanly possible. He wiill try to utilize his wrestling advantage as well as the world reknowned dirty boxing taught by Randy Couture. Rua has lost two out of his last three fights with one loss to Machida being extremly controversial. He later avenged that loss for the middleweight title. Shogun, who is coming off of a devestating loss to current champion Jon Jones will try to use his devestating leg kicks to keep Forrest at bay. Rua will not only have his country by his side but also vengence in his heart. Bottomline, the fight is over in the first.

Rua via Homicide. I mean vicious KO.

I appreciate everyone taking a second to check this out, any feedback is always appreciated. Also follow me @smuccigrosso on Twitter.

The Boss
08-24-2011, 23:53
I'm not sure About the Rua part. I think this could go either way, with a slight edge to Griff. Rua hasnt impressed me much in recent years.

Anderson Silva will probably mock Okami as mush as possible. He will bounce around like Muhamed Ali and embarrass Okami. Anderson Silva is completely unbeatable as far as i am concerned, but in MMA anything can happen. the only way this fight goes past the first round is if they dont engage much and Silva doesnt try to end it. I think when Silva attacks and tries to engage the fight will be over less then 2 minutes after that.

I'm super pumped up for the fight, and already I am getting nervous that this super storm this weekend will knock out my reception. I need to make back up plans.

My official Picks

Griffin KO 2nd
Silva KO 1st

Junior
08-25-2011, 11:18
I agree with Mooch, Rua has looked solid and will dominate this fight. And anybody picking against Silva must be out of their mind. I almost feel like Silva could end this fight whenever he wants to.

marcustbrody
08-25-2011, 12:33
Mooch, what about Schaub vs. Big Nog? You know how profusely I sweat Schaub. However, with that said, I think Schaub could run into trouble here. I think Schaub is the better fighter, and should definitely win, but I have a bad feeling he's going to get clipped with a wild right, and get into some trouble.

My predictions:
Silva - 2nd Round Submission via Triangle Choke.
Griffin - Decision, Unanimous 30-27
Big Nog - 1st Round TKO.

I hope I'm wrong with the Nog fight.

The Boss
08-25-2011, 16:18
Damn I knew there was another fight of note but I couldnt think of it. Thanks marcustbrody. I think Nog is about done and Brendan Schaub could be around for a long while still , so for that reason I will be hoping Schaub gets it done.

Jersey John
08-27-2011, 00:43
I dont think any of us in the NY area are going to see this live! I am not expecting to have power by the time this time of night rolls around. I'm very pissed about it, Silva is always fun to watch and usually wins in awesome fasion.

Silva KO
Nog KO
Grif Decision