PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Traverse City Tournament

RayMooch
08-29-2011, 18:03
As the Rangers' prepare to partake in the upcoming NHL Prospect Tournament at Traverse City, we will truly get to see the core of the Rangers' system. The roster was released a few weeks ago and there are some players here who I am looking forward to seeing on the ice. One day these players will be the future of the NHL, not only the Rangers' players, but their opponents on the ice will be making an impact as well. I think it is a great thing what the NHL has done in the Traverse City games, giving not only scouts a chance to see these players, but fans such as my self who are looking not only into this upcoming season, but also looking to see what the future does hold for us.

The Rangers' roster is as follows:

Forwards: Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Ryan Bourque, Tommy Grant, Carl Hagelin, Jordan Hickmott, Taylar Jordan, Kale Kerbashian, Shane McColgan, Randy McNaught, JT Miller, Michael St. Croix, Christian Thomas , Jason Wilson, Andrew Yogan.

Defensemen: Lee Baldwin, Collin Bowman, Peter Ceresnak,Tim Erixon, Dylan McIlrath, Jyri Niemi, Samuel Noreau, Blake Parlett.

Goalies: Jason Missiaen, Scott Stajcer

The tournament runs from September 10th-14th and the Rangers' face off against:

September 10th against St. Louis at 7PM, September 11th against Dallas at 6PM ,September 13th against Carolina at 3:30PM. September 14th is the placement game.

We have seen the likes of many current players on the Rangers' roster in this tournament, and it has done them well as many players come to the NHL level with the experience of playing together at this time. Not all of the Rangers' best prospects are going to be playing in the same leagues and with each other, possibly until they meet again at the AHL level, their last step before they make it to MSG. Sure this year, Dylan McIlrath, Christian Thomas, Ryan Borque, and Tim Erixon will be the focal points of this Traverse City team, being that they all have a shot to crack the Rangers' roster this year. We saw this recently with Derek Stepan and that turned out as a pretty successful rookie campaign, did it not? However, there is more to see here then just the players who have a shot to make the Rangers' roster after training camp.

Carl Hagelin is a player who stands out for me at this tournament. He seems to get lost behind Ryan Borque, Chris Kreider, and JT Miller. However, his game transitioned well into the North American game, after coming over from Sweden to play at the University of Michigan. He won the CCHA Best Defensive Forward Award and was a finalist for the CCHA Player of the Year Award for the 2010-11 season. He was named to the Inside College Hockey 2010-2011 Third Team. As a junior in 2009-2010, he helped lead Michigan to the CCHA championship.

Rangers amateur scout Larry Bernard, was quoted this during Hagelin's junior year at Michigan "Right now he's scoring a lot of goals, but he's also a very dangerous penalty killer. I project him at the NHL level to be a third- or fourth-line energy player that will be a tremendous penalty killer and also a threat a man down."

Here are his stats while at Michigan and his playoff stats with the Connecticut Whale, to whom he joined after signing his professional contract with the Rangers and after Michigan lost 2011 NCAA final game. The stats do a lot of speaking for themselves:
Regular season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM +/-
200708 University of Michigan CCHA 41 11 11 22 28
200809 University of Michigan CCHA 41 13 18 31 32
200910 University of Michigan CCHA 45 19 31 50 34
201011 University of Michigan CCHA 44 18 31 49 39
201011 Connecticut Whale AHL 0 0 0 0 0 5 1 1 2 4