PDA

View Full Version : John Jastremski jumps into WFAN dream job

SamCos1924
09-02-2011, 21:41
By: Sam Costantino http://1924sports.wordpress.com/

The date is August 22, and John Jastremski hears his phone ring. As he takes a deep breath prior to picking up, the 23-year-old Staten Island native wonders if the voice on the other line will change his life forever. It is the caller he expected, WFAN executive producer Mark Chernoff, calling him with the WFAN Fantasy Phenom final voting results —Jastremski braces for the news.

As Chernoff delivers the good news that he is the run-away winner, Jastremski feels the realization of his life-long dream of hosting a radio show on the the famous New York station take over his entire being.

“It was unbelievable, I was so happy and excited, Jastremski said, recalling the moment. “As soon as I found out I was thinking, okay, when do I start?”

Since the days of his youth, Jastremski had always dreamed of working for WFAN. After graduating from high school in 2006, he left Staten Island, making his way to Syracuse University to pursue that dream. While attending Syracuse, Jastremski worked for local radio stations WJPZ and WAER, hoping to gain as much experience in the field as he could.

In 2009, while still in school at Syracuse, Jastremski got a taste of what it would be like to work for WFAN, landing a summer internship with the station. The experience further fueled his hunger for a full-time position.

“It was very rewarding,” he said of the internship. “I learned a lot of useful things and met some really good people. Whether it was hosts or producers, I was learning from people at the number one [sports] radio station in the country.”

After making it through the first two rounds of the Fantasy Phenom Challenge against hundreds of competitors, Jastremski found himself as one of five finalists vying for the grand prize, a spot as an overnight host on WFAN. On August 19, Jastremski and the four other hopefuls made their way to Bar Anticipation in Lake Como, New Jersey, to compete in the final during legendary sports radio host Mike Francesa’s “Summer Beach Party” show.

Each participant performed a short guest spot with Francesa, interviewed a New York sports figure and finished their time with a sports rant of choice, before being judged by a panel of three celebrity judges which included; Yankee television personality Kim Jones, former New York Mets General Manager [GM] Omar Minaya and 2010 Fantasy Phenom winner Gregg Sussman.

Jastremski was the last to go and was paired with New York Yankee relief pitcher David Roberston for his interview, before doing his sports rant on Robertson’s teammate, A.J. Burnett, and the starter’s lack of production for the Bronx Bombers. After performing a spot-on interview with Robertson, touching on his impressive 2011 season on the mound and his charitable efforts, Jastremski rocked the crowd with a passionate, well-thought out rant on Burnett. It was Jastremski’s enthusiasm and energy that won over the crowd and the judges, all of whom voted him the top competitor.

Following Francesa’s show, voting was opened up to fans, who were able to log on to the WFAN website over the weekend to vote for the winner. Judging by the reaction of the crowd, Jastremski felt good about his chances, but did not want to get his hopes up until the finally tally was counted.

“I felt good and felt I did the best I possibly could, said Jastremski. “I didn’t have any regrets, but I didn’t want to count my chickens before they hatched.”

After finding out that he won, Jastremski felt a deep feeling of gratefulness to those who voted for him.

“From everyone, from people in my home town, people at the Jersey Shore to my friends up in Syracuse that helped me realize this [dream] I can not thank them enough,” he said. “I’d give everybody a hug if I could, it was awesome.”

Day one of Jastremski’s dream will be Saturday, September, 24, when he hosts his own show from 1-3 a.m. The 23-year-old can not wait to take his seat in studio and start what he hopes is a long journey in the path he has chosen for his life.

“I am ready to roll,” said Jastremski. “I can’t wait to get going.”

Follow me and #1924Sports on twitter @ http://twitter.com/#!/samcostantino

Follow John Jastremski @ http://twitter.com/#!/john_jastremski

Also, please log in to facebook and “LIKE” 1924 Sports — copy&paste link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/1924-Sports/170678973007451#!/pages/1924-Sports/170678973007451

My name is Sam Costantino and I am a sports journalist located at the Jersey Shore. I recently starter my sports blog 1924 Sports. Check out the link - http://1924sports.wordpress.com/

This post is linked on ListenToWFanLive.com (http://listentowfanlive.com/)

The Boss
09-03-2011, 00:00
I have to admit the time slot is a hard one to listen to for me. Its rough that Gregg Sussman has to go, but it is also time to welcome in John Jastremski which I think a lot of people will be waiting for.

I would like to see WFan give the Phenom winners some daytime slots. Even a few hours after a Met game on Sundays (obviously not during football season) would be nice. Some of those Christmas vacation shows would be a good time to give an hour or two. I hope they try to work shows like that into the deal for Jastremski

TheProgramBTR
09-03-2011, 00:26
I have to agree....definitely JJ should get some daytime thrown at him somewhere, anywhere. 1-3am is one of the toughest spots because really you never know who is listening and at times you hope anyone is listening. But JJ will be good and he will do it more than proud!

Junior
09-03-2011, 09:15
I don't think wfan is going to work some prime real estate into the deal. They got Richard Neer and Marc Malusis for that stuff. I heard Jastremski and I think he might work himself into some daylight hour shows because he is a capable host.

wolfbugs
09-03-2011, 10:04
I agree Wfan picked the right person... Good Luck, John

Jersey John
09-04-2011, 00:04
Good luck to you Johnny boy!

Inundated
09-04-2011, 12:46
Does John have relatives in Ohio? We have a sportscaster here with the same name, though slightly different spelling:

http://www.wakr.net/staff_sports.asp

(second listed person)

BrooklynAncestry
09-04-2011, 21:47
Joe Jastrzemski & John Jastremski are the names. As most people know, name spellings have changed for many reasons over the years. The one point about this is that if these 2 guys do come from the same line of Jastrzemski or Jastremskis, that the family would have spilt many generations ago and niether of them would have a clue. I dont know either of these guys, or anything about them or their families, but I will do some very basic research and see if there might be a connection.

Professional Genealogy Services at BrooklynAncestry.com (http://brooklynancestry.com/)

ogmike
09-06-2011, 13:31
You people really believe that this "contest" was real? That thing was more fixed than the NBA.

FanDROID
09-06-2011, 16:02
Enlighten us. How was it fixed? And what does WFAN have to gain by having it fixed?

ogmike
09-06-2011, 16:09
Former intern, long time caller, known commodity. Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe that any of these "contest" shows are real, such as American Idol, etc.

FanDROID
09-06-2011, 16:33
Well if you listened to the finalists. He was the best. It wasn't like he sucked and then they put him through because he was an intern. Was Gregg Sussman fixed last year? The only problem I might have with this contest is Jastremski works in the industry, albeit on a very low level. Perhaps they should make this contest truly for the fans, and eliminate anybody with prior broadcasting experience.

The Boss
09-06-2011, 18:01
Yea this John Jastremski really was the best. Not much to support rumors of fixed voting this time

ogmike
09-06-2011, 19:23
YES! See....a schmoe like me would have ZERO chance. Intern or not he was an employee, with experience in the industry. I agree he was the best, what I'm saying is that they had a pretty good idea of who was going to be the winner all the way through.

But, that's the conspiracy theorist side of me...just the way I am. I love a good conspiracy theory.

Jersey John
09-16-2011, 16:17
So you think only the worst of the non professionals should be able to compete? If someone took a college course or worked for a few months or hosted an internet radio show they should be banned form competing? Is that what you think ogMike? Did you try out?

shelly
09-25-2011, 12:05
i liked al from white plains , a 2010 finalist who lost out to greg susman..he is excellent as a caller and did a tremendous job when he did one show sometime last winter..he should get a shot but it's too political with joe beningo and mike jealous of him and afraid he'd take their job..give AL a chance even though he's a st louis cards fan.. i hate rudy larussa