PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss was a Class[less] Act

SamCos1924
09-02-2011, 21:50
My name is Sam Costantino and I am a sports journalist located at the Jersey Shore. I recently starter my sports blog 1924 Sports. click this link to check it out -- http://1924sports.wordpress.com/

By: Sam Costantino

As a true admirer of athletic talent, I always gave wide receiver Randy Moss the benefit of the doubt when his character was called into question – but looking back now, I was wrong to do so. Coming out of college, NFL teams were afraid to draft Moss early in the first round based on the fact the extremely talented, but troubled play maker was labeled as an athlete with “character issues.” The Minnesota Vikings were the one team eventually willing to take a chance on Moss, using the 21st overall pick in the ’98 draft to take the 6’4 wide receiver out of Marshall University.

The impact Moss had on the league was immediate in his rookie season, as he hauled in 69 catches for 1,313 yards, while also setting an NFL rookie record for touchdown receptions with 17. Over his 13 year career, Moss established himself as one of the best wide receivers to ever play the game. In 2007 as a member of the New England Patriots, he set the NFL record for touchdown catches in a season with 23.

So why, when Moss was cut by the Vikings in 2010 after his second stint with the team-one that lasted only 4 weeks- was only one team, the Tennessee Titans willing to take a chance on him? Think about it? How could a player that was that good on Sundays have been shown the door by so many teams throughout the years? The Vikings 1998-2004, The Raiders 2005-2006 [and they are owned by Al Davis] The Patriots 2007-2010, The Vikings [again] and finally Tennessee, before he eventually left the game prior to the 2011 season. It is the fact that Moss is quite frankly, just a bad guy.

Despite my desire to watch the best play against the best during the fall, I will not miss Moss. His act grew old and tired to say the least, as he became better at alienating teammates and coaches than he was at catching the football. In Tennessee, his final stop, Moss caught just 6 passes in eight games, without recording a single touchdown. Moss quit on one final team before quitting for good.

I have two hopes. As a humanitarian, I hope Moss, in retirement, is better off the field to his family and friends than he was to his teammates and fans. My other hope is that no team making a playoff push gets desperate and calls Moss, offering him millions of dollars to come out of retirement to help their offense. If that was to happen, Moss would surely say all the right things in press conferences before making his way on the field to disappoint by not blocking, not running hard and not showing any willingness to put the team first ahead of his ego.

Currently, there is a large group of youthful, explosive receivers in the NFL and there is no longer a need for Moss’ sad song… The beat goes on without him.

Follow me on twitter @ www.twitter.com/samcostantino

Like 1924 Sports on Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/pages/1924-Sports/170678973007451#!/pages/1924-Sports/170678973007451

The Boss
09-02-2011, 23:34
Yea, good post, Moss is one of those Super Talented players that just can't get over the fact that their personal talent isnt the biggest story of the day. He did love Belichck though and that game with the Vikings against the Pats sealed the deal for NFL teams with the pass he didnt catch and his comments after the game.