PDA

View Full Version : Mike Francesa - Jet Hater or Parcells Disciple?

nyjetstories
09-27-2011, 14:24
Mike Francesa - Jet Hater or Parcells Disciple?

Sports talk radio and its personalities can be very entertaining but it can also be very frustrating to listen to. In most cases the shows cover the local teams and then have callers voice opinions. The problem is that the so called experts on the radio may or may not agree with the callers and that is fine - that is what makes being a fan of a team fun. But when you have a host daily ridicule, knock down, tear apart and basically bad mouth your team you either want to ring his neck or simply change the station you listen to. Callers who don't agree with him are usually spoken over and yelled at.
For the past 3 plus seasons Mike Francesa has been the host Jets fans cringe to when he speaks. It really started to come about in 2008 when the Jets brought Brett Favre in to lead the team as QB. Francesa basically said that owner Woody Johnson was worried about selling seats in his new stadium and bringing in a future Hall of famer would help. In 2009 the Jets basically stopped team members from being interviewed by Francesa. The reason was 1050 was the Jet flagship station and the Jets had responsibility to them. But the morning show and mid-day show would get weekly guest from the Jets. Francesa was being black balled by the Jets and the "Pope" of sports talk was on a mission to bad mouth this team. The past two seasons he has called Head Coach Rex Ryan a clown, he made fun of owner Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum for appearing Hard Knocks last season. And after two seasons with back to back AFC Championship game appearances the team gets no respect.
But what is ironic is back in the Bill Parcells era as Jets head coach Francesa was following this team like a giddy teenager on his first date.

Everyone knows as Mike lets it be known that he is friends with Parcells but I am not sure if anyone has ever heard these two stories or at least remembers them.

1998 Season Jets win the division and after getting a bye they are home vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars. I can still remember it was a very cold day I am in my car tailgating with my father at the stadium listening to Francesa. He gets on the air and says that he wants to attend the playoff game but only wants to sit in the seats that he has been sitting in for previous Jet games that year. He then give the section, row and seats number of the tickets he wants. He says that if you have the seats he will trade you with other tickets. He says if you see the people sitting in those seats please inform them that he wants to see the game from those seats. It was amazing - a man who can see any sporting event he wants is being superstitious about sitting those seats for his good friend Bill. People were calling in telling him that they were going over to that section to let the people know - etc. I am sure that if you can get to the archives of the show for that date (I can look up date for you of that game) you can hear all of this.

Then I am not sure when he told this other story. But he was on the air stating that he attended the AFC Championship game in Denver that year. He said after the Jets blocked the punt and scored the TD he turned to his wife and said "WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL" - WE? I mean really he said We?

So Mike lets be professional ok? You don't like the Jets fine, you don't like Rex fine. But be fair in your assessment of the team or teams that you cover. I know you are in this business for many years. But just because you are doing this for a long time doesn't mean you’re doing it correctly.

www.nyjetstories.com
blog.nyjetstories.com

Junior
09-27-2011, 16:50
You seem to be reaching a bit here. It's good to have another Jet fan aboard first of all, and I have loved Francesa ranting against the Jets for the last 2 years. Do I care if Mike Francesa gives them the respect that I may think the deserve? No. He is there to entertain me not to mindlessly say nice things about every team in New York.

As far as Mike saying "we", he was talking to his wife so wouldnt "we" be a term he would use? And are you trashing him for wanting to sit in his lucky seats to see his friend win? Not sure what you are going for here.

The Boss
09-27-2011, 17:41
Welcome to the site NYJS.

after the Jets blocked the punt and scored the TD he turned to his wife and said "WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL" - WE? I mean really he said We?

I don't understand the outrage in his saying "we" in reference to himself and his wife. Fans say "we" for their teams all the time anyway. Its not really that crazy.

nyjetstories
09-28-2011, 08:11
You seem to be reaching a bit here. It's good to have another Jet fan aboard first of all, and I have loved Francesa ranting against the Jets for the last 2 years. Do I care if Mike Francesa gives them the respect that I may think the deserve? No. He is there to entertain me not to mindlessly say nice things about every team in New York.

As far as Mike saying "we", he was talking to his wife so wouldnt "we" be a term he would use? And are you trashing him for wanting to sit in his lucky seats to see his friend win? Not sure what you are going for here.

Welcome to the site NYJS.

I don't understand the outrage in his saying "we" in reference to himself and his wife. Fans say "we" for their teams all the time anyway. Its not really that crazy.

I am a realistic Jet fan most of the time. I know what my team is and I know what I want it to be. Do I sometimes think they are better than they are yes, that is what a fan does. But Francesa is not supposed to be entertainment, he is not the Z100 Morning Zoo show or the PLJ morning show. Francesa is supposed to be a sports expert that should be giving facts as well as opinion. His feelings towards the team should not get in the way of his judgement. If the Jets are not a good team I can handle the crticism, believe me being a Jet fan you get used to it. But Mike with his ego just goes on his microphone and starts bad mouthing the organization. He even rants about them not being able to sell out, or how not all free agents want to sign with the Jets. It has gotten to the point that I turn WFAN off at 1:00pm.
I think that it is hilarious that he can go from wanting to sit in these "special seats" to watch the Jets, to basically calling out everything the Jets do. I use the "we" when I speak about the Jets sometimes. But when I pointed out he said WE, again he is being a hypocrit. He was never a Jet fan until Parcells came over and then he says WE like he is part of the Jets? So when he said we was he stating "we" as in the Jets or "we" as in Parcells and him.

The Boss
09-29-2011, 09:17
I'll call a spade a spade, but how is he being a hypocrite? 13 years ago his good friend was the coach so he wanting to team to win. The last few years he has trashed the Jets because they specifically blocked their personal from appearing on his show to give ESPN an edge in the ratings. We have talked about Francesa killing the Jets (http://66wfan.net/showthread.php?367-Wow-Francesa-really-kills-the-Jets) before, but calling him a hypocrite for wanting to see his friend do good and wanting a team targeting his ratings to do bad, makes no sense

wolfbugs
09-29-2011, 10:36
If your a fan then you are a fan no matter who is running or coaching the team, so i see the point about Francesa being a hypocrite... he is always talking out of two sides of his mouth... JETS fan also....

Jersey John
09-29-2011, 13:25
Some of you guys are just lost! He's not a Jet fan!

shelly
09-29-2011, 20:59
i dont think parcells is even frienly with mike anymore..when parcells "retired" for the first time after super 25, he got friendly with mike in order to help his broadcasting career..when he was done with the pope of radio he came up with an excuse to end the relationship..mike for some reason thought the fans would respect him when he drops the "friend" word with parcells..i dont think they've spoken for years

The Boss
09-29-2011, 23:17
Where is this info coming from shelly?

shelly
10-04-2011, 14:18
they are not friends anymore..parcells dropped him faster than lam jones dropped footballs..btw is mike still being paid by nbc for miked up..thought hed be back now being best time for ny sports..have chris maddog russo replace him..you think?

The Boss
10-04-2011, 22:34
they are not friends anymore..parcells dropped him faster than lam jones dropped footballs..

I've heard callers bring up Parcells to Francesa and Mike hasnt suggested they are not friends. What are you basing your comments on?

Junior
10-06-2011, 12:44
I wouldn't buy it Boss. I hear francesa talk about bill the same way as he always has

shelly
10-07-2011, 08:36
this is hilarious..dave from NJ calling in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfdc8n93Mfs

The Boss
10-07-2011, 10:31
Heres the video. To display it click the little filmstrip and put the youtube url in there. For the record this has nothing to do with this thread, so you should open a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfdc8n93Mfs

shelly
10-11-2011, 10:04
Some of you guys are just lost! He's not a Jet fan!

wolfie did not say mikie is a jet fan..he was saying that he (wolfie) is..mikie is only a jet fan when his buddy coached them

Iceman
10-24-2011, 10:35
Where is this info coming from shelly?

Mike has spoken about it. I believe the first superbowl after Mike and Dog Split, both were down at the Superbowl and Parcells went on Doggie's show and not Mike's. A caller asked Mike about it and at some point Mike admitted that they had a falling out and hadn't been talking. I think at the time Mike said something to the effect that he had not spoken to Parcells in over six months.

More recently I do recall Mike saying that they had patched things up or at least were talking again, but you can tell just listening to the show that he doesn't bring up Parcells or Parcells' angles nearly as much as he used to

The Boss
10-25-2011, 17:15
ok, I hadnt heard that. Parcells going on with Russo and not Francesa is pretty odd. I wonder what could have cuased that? Parcells and Francesa must have already been in conflict before that