PDA

View Full Version : Was Yanks re-signing Cashman the right move?

212SportsWriterMike
10-28-2011, 17:40
The New York Yankees have decided to re-sign their General Manager, Brian Cashman to a three-year deal, according to reports. This was no doubt the right move.

Cashman has been successful in his tenure with the Yankees, only missing the playoffs once in 14 years while winning four World Series rings in the process.

I think if a GM could bring you those results, no matter who they were, you'd want to sign them too.

The age-old saying that anyone could do the job Cashman is doing is understandable. The Yankees do have the biggest payroll in baseball to work with. Some of the funnier people amongst us would say they could have done better.

I'm not one of them.

Don't think for a second that the magic of money guarantees a World Series every year, the Yankees have proved it doesn't. You still have to make the right moves to win in the MLB.

Others will argue that he's made terrible signings like A.J. Burnett (who helped the Yanks win a World Series), Carl Pavano and all the other disappointments that have entered the home clubhouse at Yankee Stadium.

Feel free to leave those names in the comment section if you like!

Every GM that has ever worked in the MLB has made bad moves. It happens to the very best and worst of baseball executives. Cashman is human like every other General Manager.

He has also exercised caution in making moves as recently as not wanting to sign Rafael Soriano to a big deal as a setup man. The Yankee brass did it anyway and Soriano ended up as the seventh-inning guy and most likely will remain there for the rest of his contract.

Cash also brought in the likes of Hideki Matsui, Orlando Hernandez and Alex Rodriguez to name a few. Despite A-Rod's contract looking like a mistake at this point, the Yankees wouldn't have even gotten to the 2009 World Series and eventually won it, without him.

Besides, I'm sure some of you would tell me you'd rather have Alfonso Soriano, right?

He's also handled his aging stars well, not allowing Jeter to take advantage of the Yankees when negotiating his contract because of "what he's done" for the organization. It takes guts to take an unpopular stance against a Yankee favorite and Cashman did just that for the future of the team.

On top of those things, Cashman has been careful not to deal his prospects and in the process, he has helped build a strong farm system for the Bombers. They have built an abundance of young talent that will give them several options in the future and will have plenty left over if they decide to make a deal.

There is no doubt Jorge Posada won't be getting any pity contracts next season. I will admit Cash didn't handle the public portion of Posada's last season well, but the important thing is that it was Posada's last season.

Cashman has been more forward thinking as of late and is trying to adjust to an aging roster.

I believe he has the right vision for where the Yankees are at this time and you can't complain with his track record of winning. Brian Cashman has earned his extension and deserves to get three more years to win another ring.

@michaelmoraitis

The Boss
10-28-2011, 20:32
On top of those things, Cashman has been careful not to deal his prospects and in the process, he has helped build a strong farm system for the Bombers. They have built an abundance of young talent that will give them several options in the future and will have plenty left over if they decide to make a deal.

To me that is more the mark of a good GM then signing a free agent. For example, everybody know that A-Rod will not be worth his contract for the last x amount of years, but the players hold all the cards and that is just what you have to do these days. I think Cashman and the ownership knew full well that was going to be the case, and they elected to suffer the consequences. Who you do or do not trade when they are still developing is a different story

Iceman
10-30-2011, 11:12
To me that is more the mark of a good GM then signing a free agent. For example, everybody know that A-Rod will not be worth his contract for the last x amount of years, but the players hold all the cards and that is just what you have to do these days. I think Cashman and the ownership knew full well that was going to be the case, and they elected to suffer the consequences. Who you do or do not trade when they are still developing is a different story

Cashman's "carefulness" in not dealing the prospects is a double edge sword. When you look at guys that the Yankees could have gotten for Joba and Hughes and even Montero (I recall last year that there were legitimate talks of a Justin Upton trade with Montero as the center piece.)

Of course hindsight is always 20/20 but knowing now how Joba and Hughes have turned out, I may not be as hesistant to trade our young studs as I used to.

Jersey John
10-30-2011, 16:17
Both Joba and Hughes can be great pitchers for us for 10 more years. You act like it has turned out that they are busts

Iceman
10-31-2011, 09:34
Both Joba and Hughes can be great pitchers for us for 10 more years. You act like it has turned out that they are busts

I wouldn't say that they are necessarily "busts", but I don't see anything that leads me to believe that they will be great pitchers for the Yankees for the next ten years.

They may still be solid major league players but they sure as heck will never live up to the hype that surrounded them. I remember the outrage that Toronto dared to ask for Hughes and Joba for Roy Halladay. That was how high these guys were viewed.

If you search the archives of mlbtraderumors its funny seeing how many trade rumors there were that were immediately shot down because there was no way the Yankees were giving up Joba or Hughes!