PDA

View Full Version : Cain -v- Dos Santos

Iceman
11-02-2011, 19:40
Anyone else really curious about not just this fight but just how the overall presentation on fox will be.

I saw they had a one hour special leading up to the 4:00 game on fox on Sunday last week. I am just very curious about how well this will do. As a fan I hope it does well because anytime they are offering pay per view fights on free tv is a win for us.

I just read today that this is the only fight that will air even if it ends in ten seconds. I think that may be a mistake. I am a fan and I probably won't stick around for 25 minutes of post fight wrap up if it ends early, I can't imagine the curious viewer who tunes in sticking around that long. Hopefully, thats a moot point and its a 5 round war. WE will see.

The Boss
11-02-2011, 19:55
I hadnt heard that the only the one fight from the card will be on fox! Thats an awful idea. My guess is that the rest of the event will be on another channel meaning we wont even get a lengthy pre-fight show. If you play the whole events that is hours of channel flippers stumbling on it and waiting for the main event. In any case I hope it is a great fight.

Another bad decision I believe, is having a Mexican fight a Brazilian - this might make the non fan think of this as a sport for foreigners. If you want to open your sport to new viewers you should have someone most Americans can identify with.... a white guy.

Junior
11-03-2011, 00:52
That's a bad idea. They really need to have as great an event as possible and that means more them one fight. I hope joe rogan is doing the call wih the other guy and not some random folks from Fox

Iceman
11-03-2011, 10:36
Another bad decision I believe, is having a Mexican fight a Brazilian - this might make the non fan think of this as a sport for foreigners. If you want to open your sport to new viewers you should have someone most Americans can identify with.... a white guy. You actually make a very good point. Cain speaks english well but Dos Santos' english is very poor which is another problem they will have if the plan is to have extended interviews and/or backstage footage.

The UFC will have to rely on this being a great fight because they don't have two great angles that would draw casual interest: 1) Like you said there is no American to root for; and 2) There is no heel/trash talker to root against.

BTW.Here is the article I read just so that I can back up my info

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/2/2533893/ufc-on-fox-velasquez-vs-dos-santos-preliminary-fights-remain

The Boss
11-03-2011, 13:39
The TUF match of Bisping and Miller would be good. Tito Ortiz is kinda well known. Brock is a big draw. Anderson Silva would turn a lot of fans on with his muhammed Ali moves. I would have had a big card with several great fights

Pure Gold
11-03-2011, 13:39
I think it's great and plan on watching it no doubt. It's going to be good to have them on regular TV