PDA

View Full Version : Boomer & Carton top Francesa In Ratings?

The Boss
11-03-2011, 11:16
Neil Best put up this article Boomer & Carton: No. 1 and going strong at WFAN (http://www.twackle.com/sitebar?url=http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/boomer-carton-no-1-and-going-strong-at-wfan-1.3294539%3Fqr%3D1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) a few hours ago over on Newsday.com. I am going to quote a few of the main points of interest:

most recently in the monthly period from Sept. 15 to Oct. 12, in which they averaged 6.5 percent of the audience in the demographic most important to the station. (ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning," ranked eighth at 3.9.)

"I thought we would be successful. I knew we would do a good job. But the fact we're No. 1 in every male demographic and we're the only show on the station that can make that claim is great."
In case you missed it, the reference to being the only No. 1 show was a reminder that Mike Francesa, first in the afternoon for most of the past two decades, has not been No. 1 for most of this year.
Hurt in part by the drag of low-rated Mets games and by the rise of classic rock Q104.3, his 1 to 6:30 p.m. show was second in the spring and is again so far this fall.
(Francesa's YES simulcast comfortably out-rates Esiason and Carton on MSG.)
That hardly means his reign is threatened -- he remains a ratings pillar, with a contract through 2013 -- but coincidentally or not, the morning show has been less bashful than ever about taking him on.
Two weeks ago Carton and Esiason took issue with Francesa for not crediting them for an interview in which Dwight Gooden discussed missing the 1986 World Series parade -- long before he did so on ESPN.
Francesa said on the air he is busy with his children at that hour and was unaware of the May interview.
Last week, Carton criticized Francesa's notorious interview with Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, calling the line of questioning "idiotic'' and saying Francesa had an "agenda.''
When a caller relayed those comments, Francesa said he doesn't care what Carton thinks.
Carton said he felt compelled to stick up for the show regarding the Gooden interview, and to comment on the Revis interview because it had become big news.
Carton also has tweaked Francesa's friend, CBS' Jim Nantz, and his producer, Ray Martel. But so far Francesa has resisted firing back. He declined to comment for this article.
WFAN operations manager Mark Chernoff, a veteran of radio battles featuring the likes of Howard Stern and Imus, would not discuss the shows' relationship but as a rule he strongly discourages public sniping.
Esiason insisted it's all just show business. "Everything from the seat I sit in is tongue in cheek,'' he said. "It's not a rivalry.''
Said Carton: "We make fun of ourselves more than anyone, and we make fun of everyone.''
Esiason said Nantz asked him at a CBS meeting about Carton's shtick.
Said Esiason: "I'm like, 'Hey, listen, dude, all you have to do is come on and defuse it. I am not going to stifle my partner in any way, shape or form. You wouldn't do that to one of your partners.' ''

So Mike Francesas ratings have dropped to #2 according to this article and not #3 as stated in the article below. The rest of the article is pretty much more of what we have been talking about on the site, except for Boomer saying that there is no rivalry with Mike. Your'e going to have a hard time convincing fans of that one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as mentioned on Bob's Blitz (http://www.bobsblitz.com/2011/11/boomer-carton-crowned-kings-of-ny.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNjFrogman+%28Bob%27s+Blitz%29), Boomer & Carton' ratings are on the rise, while Mike Francesa drops:

Esiason and his partner Craig Carton finished #1 with Men 18-34, #1 w/ Men 18-49, and #1 w/ Men in the aforementioned 25-54 age group.

In some cases it wasn't even close: In the 25-54 male range the duo beat Jim Kerr's WAXQ (Q104.3) 6.5 to 5.4 -- in the 18-54 male category they smashed WAXQ 8.6 to 6.2 -- and in the 18-49 male range they topped 103.5 KTU's Mornings w/ Cubby & Cindy 6.8 to 5.7
WFAN's self-proclaimed #1 host Mike Francesa? Mike has had the fans hang up on him. He's no longer even able to carry #1 during his own time slot. Francesa finished a distant third in afternoon ratings. Sources indicate that Ken Dashow's daily 3 @ 3pm triple play on WAXQ and WCBS-FM's (101.1) Bob Shannon & Broadway Bill Lee have both widened their listener base.

Boomer and Carton's morning show was the only #1 show in any demographic for the AM sports radio station, besting all AM & FM competition of any and all subject matter.

Congratulations to Boomer & Carton on their continued success on WFan. Mike Francesas ratings have been good for a long time but it would seem that he is starting to slip. I would be interested to hear if Mike addresses this on air. He has talked about ratings in the past, but it was always because he had "3 #1's" not "1 #1 and 1 #3".

Jersey John
11-03-2011, 12:41
Bobs Blitz is so biased towards Boomer and Carton that I have to wonder how much the facts are distorted by him in order to support the pro B&C angle. I can believe easily enough that B&C are #1 in certain demos, but the Francesa information he provides is shady. Since the article does not say that 1), Mike had less listeners then Boomer and Carton then I have to imagine he still has more. 2) since they do not provide Mikes stats that they have not dropped and 3) since they do not mention the demo or hours that Fracnesa is #3, that it is prob not the key demo, or for many hours.

I have no problem believing Mike Francesas ratings are on the decline or that he is losing fans, but that link doesnt give any numbers to support that.

Junior
11-03-2011, 15:05
That's great to see about boomer and carton. I guess their contract is up soon too, so it will be interesting to see what happens with that

Iceman
11-03-2011, 16:42
Good stuff from Best, the only newspaper media guy worth reading imo. Impressive that Carton and Boomer's show is going so strong.

I have also wondered how much of Carton's schtick/idiotic antics affects Boomers 30 other jobs, so a nice scoop by Best with the Nantz stuff, clearly it does affect it.

fansince87
11-03-2011, 17:15
The recent monthly period is Sept. to mid-Oct is back to school and no more vacations. So, people are at work and in class etc. regularly now. The morning show should win in the ratings. Early morning getting ready and drive time vs. 1:00 in the afternoon. The morning show always had the inherent advantage and Imus always had the bigger rating till he turned political and Mike and Mike were new and the only sports option. Many more people are in the bathroom, kitchen, and car between 5:40 and 10:00 in the AM. So, much more radio access than between 1:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon for the male demographic.

The slots are different and the shows are different. I feel the "rivalry" is overblown and pushed by Bobs Blitz or others for their purposes. They are on the same "team"/station, not on at the same time, and do different shows. B&C vs. Mike and Mike, Francesa vs. Kay are actual competitors but not really competitive at all. B&C vs. Mike is no competition or rivalry, just a bunch of BS. Mike pretends he doesn't know anything about it and Carton tries to blow it up and milk it for anything he can get out of it. At least Kay and Mike went back and forth on a couple of occasions. It is nothing till they actually fire back and forth.

Jersey John
11-04-2011, 10:41
Another thing is that when Francesa takes months off for vacation, he is replaced by Joe and Evan, and I believe when Boomer and Carton do their vacations, one of them stays on the show while the other takes off. And even with the fact that one stays on, they still dont take near the time off that Mike does.

Iceman
11-04-2011, 11:18
The slots are different and the shows are different. I feel the "rivalry" is overblown and pushed by Bobs Blitz or others for their purposes. They are on the same "team"/station, not on at the same time, and do different shows. B&C vs. Mike and Mike, Francesa vs. Kay are actual competitors but not really competitive at all. B&C vs. Mike is no competition or rivalry, just a bunch of BS. Mike pretends he doesn't know anything about it and Carton tries to blow it up and milk it for anything he can get out of it. At least Kay and Mike went back and forth on a couple of occasions. It is nothing till they actually fire back and forth.

THIS.

Bob's Blitz and the morning show and others seem to be pushing their own "rivalry" agenda. I think any reasonable person knows that you can't compare a morning show to an afternoon show and vice versa. You need to compare an afternoon show to an afternoon show etc. etc.

It's fair to compare Francesa's ratings to his previous ratings, but alot has to do with what is going on at the time in the sports world. Last year the Yanks made it an extra round in the playoffs so I wouldn't be surprised if his ratings last year were higher in october than they were this year.

All that being said, realistically, Mike's ratings are eventually going to fall or are in the process of falling. He's the old guard. His demographic is getting older, and lets be honest the median of sports talk has changed. Young people just aren't going to be tuning in for a show like Mike's anymore.

It's a problem I have with most of the programming on the fan. There is no appeal to a younger dynamic. There is never any meaningful talk about topics that appeal to a younger audience, (fantasy sports and MMA are two things that just come to the top of my mind as I type this). I would never expect these topics to take up any significant airtime, but you can't tell me that instead of taking a third hour of Reyes phone calls, Mike couldn't talk about something different in say the 4 o'clock hour on a Wednesday.

Get Dana White on any of the shows on the Fan next week and I would make sure to tune in, just because I want to hear something different. It's that outside the box thinking that noone seems to be doing over there.

*I tuned in when Frank Shamrock was on with Boomer and Carton, even though they talked down to him and talked like it was still the Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbot era in MMA.

fansince87
11-05-2011, 08:27
All good points! I think that they don't talk fantasy, car racing, MMA, Top 25 NCAA FB/BB, even hockey anymore. To top it off they have become too NY-centric as well. Big problem you can't go from a 70/30 split to close to a 90/10 split. Too narrow a scope. The NY teams play in divisions against other teams. It's like they are the only things that exist. We want to know a little bit about the competition at least. More balance is sorely needed.

More than just topics, there are no segments or any fresh ideas of things to do with their shows. The lack of prep and ideas is sad. The host are fairly predictable is what they do on their shows. Joe B. and Evan talk NY 90% and throw in one thing from entertainment that involves some chick, like Kim Kardashian. Carton does his Stern-like routine. Mike is Mike, he's getting older and the ESPN embargo on him has hurt his guest list. Steve Sommers has also really lost some on his fastball as well and his opens have weakened just like Benigno's rants have. I listen to Czaban and he can come up with segments. Segments that can be entertaining, keep us involved, and aren't predictable. Segments like, for example, "I'm so done with..." where the hosts and the callers get to say what they are sick and tired of. I'll do one right now. I'm so done with anything and anyone talking about the radio ratings. They all have contracts and aren't going anywhere and the ratings talk/numbers hasn't been worth anything. It's not the same as TV. Bob's Blitz, Raissman, etc. need to find something else. They are just as bad as these shows and need to come up with new material.

I am glad there are other options. After an hour or two of Mike, I can go to Bull or turn on the SNY shows later at 5:00. I'll take Czabe over B&C or M&M. This thread topic is really about ratings but has taken a little turn toward show content and quality which is the more important thing. The bad part is we don't have many good things to say about it :(