PDA

View Full Version : Mike Breaking Hot Stove Baseball

Iceman
11-07-2011, 16:09
Was reading Mlbtraderumors and some other respected hot stove sites who are citing and circulating Mike's report/WFAN tweet regarding Reyes contact and offer from the Marlins.

I think Mike's always had a in with Reyes agent and now I guess its clear he does. Should be interesting to watch what info Mike is fed/leaked.

The Boss
11-07-2011, 16:40
Well it's no secret Reyes lives right near Mike, also. I'm sure he knows the agent, but I'm also sure there a ton of folks that know Jose is going to miami

Junior
11-08-2011, 07:32
Was Francesa the first to report that?

Iceman
11-08-2011, 09:32
Was Francesa the first to report that?

The other sites were citing his report, so I don't know for sure, but it seemed that way.

fansince87
11-09-2011, 19:06
I was listening at the time and it would seem Mike had it first.

Well it's no secret Reyes lives right near Mike, also. I'm sure he knows the agent, but I'm also sure there a ton of folks that know Jose is going to miami

Not Evan Roberts, who said that he is definitely not going to the Marlins because they are only going to give him 3 years. Of course another "why am I listening to this" moment that made me just shut off WFAN.

First, Wed. was his visit with the Marlins. He hadn't even visited yet so Evan nor anyone knows what will really be offered until stuff comes out after the visit has occurred. Silly to comment before he even had his visit with them. First team showing real interest, first visit, early November, let it develop and wait for more accurate info to come out.

Second, any early offer rumors on the Marlins side would say three years. That is how negotiation works the Marlins would start low and Reyes high and they meet in between. Where does Evan get three years is the only option and they will never go to four. The Marlins quick and strong interest due to wanting to fill a new ballpark and having some $$$ to do so kind of leads one to believe they very well could go to fours years.

Third, take a break. Let the visit happen. Can we have a day w/o any Reyes talk? Is Evan going to do Reyes every day till something actually gets done. Let it breathe. That's ESPN territory talking Lebron or Carmelo every day a month before the day things can be signed/done. Penn State, NBA Stern Ultimatum day, maybe some NCAA preview with St. John's winning their first game, etc. Plenty on tap to talk about instead of wearing the Reyes topic out.

As for Reyes going to the Marlins, there are plenty of good reasons. Warmer weather is good for the hamstrings esp. in April. Staying in the NL East he will face the same pitching. The bigger Latino population/culture in Florida. Less press/spotlight than in NY. A New ball park and Miami is looking to spend money on stars to fill it. The Marlins would seem to be the frontrunner.

Iceman
11-09-2011, 20:02
Third, take a break. Let the visit happen. Can we have a day w/o any Reyes talk? Is Evan going to do Reyes every day till something actually gets done. Let it breathe. That's ESPN territory talking Lebron or Carmelo every day a month before the day things can be signed/done. Penn State, NBA Stern Ultimatum day, maybe some NCAA preview with St. John's winning their first game, etc. Plenty on tap to talk about instead of wearing the Reyes topic out.

As for Reyes going to the Marlins, there are plenty of good reasons. Warmer weather is good for the hamstrings esp. in April. Staying in the NL East he will face the same pitching. The bigger Latino population/culture in Florida. Less press/spotlight than in NY. A New ball park and Miami is looking to spend money on stars to fill it. The Marlins would seem to be the frontrunner.

This seems to tie into our other chat about the content on WFAN and I agree 100%. The day before free agency Joe and Evan did Reyes almost the whole time I had them on. Then the next day they led with Reyes again, not because anything had happened or there was news, but because it was the first day that something could happen. I am not looking forward to them using Reyes as a crutch for the next two months.

Like you said, Penn State, St. John's basketball and NBA are all three stories right now that should be getting attention. And as far as the Marlins, they came out and apparently offered to make him the highest paid shortstop in the game for the next three years. Of course he is not going to just take that offer, but to me it seems like a nice competitive starting offer. Its at least better than the Mets, who didnt even bother to make him an offer.

fansince87
11-10-2011, 14:01
The stuff about Evan may seem off the topic but I don't think it was. Mike had an "in" and got some Reyes news first and Evan was bothered/jealous. So the next day he has to come up with something. Seen similar before from Evan and it wasn't very professional. Like I said, he broke off topic(Penn State at the time) and felt the need to get into that. B&R were doing a pretty decent show up till that point and he unnecessarily derailed the show. He couldn't even wait for a better time. Evan, don't pull immature stuff, just strive to do better. Bring more to the table, like Mike, and get some sources and info that we don't already know about.

Kudos to Mike. He has seemed to have a bit more on his fastball this week. Good job on the Penn state stuff. Bringing Kim Jones in and at good times. He was right on the Paterno camp first strike to try to influence the trustees while Kim was wrong about Paterno knowing something out of the meeting that he might get till the end of the season.

Mike was also decent with the callers this week. Not quite as harsh. He was very complimentary of the Jets defense. Also, he read the book and came prepared for the Howard Cosell book interview which was a decent change and interesting topic.

Of course a nice job on getting the Reyes info as well. ESPN has helped take away some of Mike's sources/info as well as some of the sources just getting older and out of the game/business. Dog being gone also taken a few things away. He has burned some of those bridges himself. He doesn't have all the "ins" he did years back but he still has some left. He is clearly not quite what he was at his peak but Mike up'd his game this week, IMO.

Iceman
11-10-2011, 16:22
Kudos to Mike. He has seemed to have a bit more on his fastball this week. Good job on the Penn state stuff. Bringing Kim Jones in and at good times. He was right on the Paterno camp first strike to try to influence the trustees while Kim was wrong about Paterno knowing something out of the meeting that he might get till the end of the season.

Mike was also decent with the callers this week. Not quite as harsh. He was very complimentary of the Jets defense. Also, he read the book and came prepared for the Howard Cosell book interview which was a decent change and interesting topic.

Of course a nice job on getting the Reyes info as well. ESPN has helped take away some of Mike's sources/info as well as some of the sources just getting older and out of the game/business. Dog being gone also taken a few things away. He has burned some of those bridges himself. He doesn't have all the "ins" he did years back but he still has some left. He is clearly not quite what he was at his peak but Mike up'd his game this week, IMO.

I agree with this. Mike does seem to really step it up when it comes to serious topics and this has been no different. I mean even Raissman was giving him credit. Mike was out ahead of the story and was nailing Penn State and Paterno, well ahead of most everyone else in the sports talk world that I heard.

The Cossell book and even the spot with Bert Sugar were also a nice change of pace. I am even looking forward to the Shaq spot next week, that could be interesting. I give credit to Mike for actually reading the books of the authors he has on. Shaq must be doing a ton of spots next week to promote his book and I would venture hardly anyone who interviews him will read his book.

You can tell Mike is motivated this week by the Penn State story and is doing his homework and his interaction with the callers and Kim Jones has been really strong. When he is on top of his game like this it makes you realize why he is still the best but also makes you realize how often he coasts now.