PDA

View Full Version : Darvish: Japanese For Overspend

MadStorkSports
12-22-2011, 00:56
The old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Well it's broke, so why isn't anybody fixing it?
I don't understand how we have gotten to this point.
You would think that after all that has transpired with
Japanese pitchers like Hideki Irabu(RIP), Kai Igawa,
Daisuke Matsuzaka, etc. we might have learned a thing
or two. Trust me, I am by no means saying, don't sign
them, but $51.7 to negotiate a contract and then in
turn pay the pitcher another $40-$80 million more.
That's nuts, insane and just plain stupid, but it gets
done over and over again for one main reason, it's your
money.

The argument is already being made that Darvish is the
best Japanese pitcher to come from Japan since Matsuzaka.
Well Matsuzaka cost the Red Sox $103 Million between
posting fee(51.1M) and contract(6 years for 52M) and his
record after five years he is 49-30 with 4.25ERA with a
very good team. This is not worthy of investing $17Mil+
per year on a pitcher that averages 3.9 games over .500
per year. Would you pay an American pitcher $17Mil if
he would be 10-6 every year? That's what he's averaging.

Yu Darvish has gaudy pitching numbers, but his numbers
hold the ultimate ***asterisk***. He pitches in Japan!
Smaller ballpark, smaller ball, smaller players, six
man rotation = pitching once per week. Do you know who
Tuffy Rhodes is? Rhodes was an American baseball player
who is the all-time leader for foreign-born players, and
tied for 10th overall, with 474 home runs in Japan.*
Do you know what his numbers are in the US? Six seasons,
13 Home Runs, .224 batting average. Get it?

My issue here is clearly not with Darvish, or even the
fact that he is half Iranian. I would never hold that
against him. My issue here is with the posting fee.
It's bad business that eventually only trickles down to
the fans, win or lose. It's broken, and needs to be fixed !

*Wikipedia

Follow me @MadStorkSports on Twitter
Go to www.MadStorkSports.com & Follow
"LIKE" The Mad Stork Sports Audio Blog on Facebook
Mad Stork Sports w/Nick Rizzo Wednesday
evenings at from 6-7 PM on Scatterradio

The Boss
12-22-2011, 19:47
Their league is clearly not on par with MLB ball. I'm right there with you, this guy isnt worth close to what it would cost

DBurchHero
12-26-2011, 17:21
There are so many differences between Dice K and Darvish though that to lump them all together is really not fair. let me explain why...

Dice K is only 6 foot and 185 pounds. Not a terrible frame for a pitcher but not the "ideal" frame body wise. Yu is an absolute monster while on the mound sitting at 6'5" and also 185 pounds. The difference between the two, weight wise, is Yu Darvish is 25 years old and Dice K is 31 years old. Yu Darvish has time to add weight and muscle to his over powering frame.

Dice K has a herky jerky delivery that has seemed to be very difficult to control and to repeat over and over again. Yu seems to have more of the over the top over powering MLB type delivery which seems to me, and scouts alike, to be very easy to emulate and do over and over again. Not to mention that Yu has more of a MLB ready and MLB type repertoire where Dice K was all mystery with his "gyro ball".

Ill totally leave out the part where Yu Darvish is half Iranian because it is irrelevant. In a market like Texas where the cultural diversity is much less diverse then a Boston or a New York this signing makes a ton of sense for them. This reminds me of what happened with the New York Yankees when they signed Orlando Hernandez and Hideki Matsui. The fans flocked to the stadium, to the YES network, to buy merchandise, etc. Baseball, we so quickly forget, is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Even if Yu Darvish costs the Rangers over 100 million for a 5 year deal (posting included) he will, in my opinion, make the Rangers double that in the tenure of his contract.

He may not be worth it to the Yankees, fiscally, but he is very much so worth it to the Rangers.
Their league is clearly not on par with MLB ball. I'm right there with you, this guy isnt worth close to what it would cost

Cooper
03-19-2012, 00:09
Over-spending is a bad idea in any age. Spending too much could be a symptom of low self-esteemIn this time of financial downturn, however, it could be even more harmful. We have shown how spending too much can be a sign of low self-esteem, or even a coping mechanism to avoid the stress of debt. Now we will look at some more cerebral aspects that contribute to spending too much. And some ways that we can help keep it in check. You may read this article about: The psychology of over-spending - Part 2 (http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/03/08/over-spending-part-2/)