PDA

View Full Version : WFans Mike Francesa Hints at Retirement

The Boss
01-03-2012, 18:19
Earlier today MIke Francesa was talking about the Super Bowl coming up in New York in 2 years, and that it was going to be a special time for him because shortly after that, his current contract with WFan would expire. Although Mike did not say he expected to retire, he did say that he would have a big decision to make at that time, and that a New York Super Bowl would be a good way to go out.

Recently Francesa has stepped away from the #1 rated Sunday Night show "Mike'd Up" to spend more time with family. Clearly Mikes family situation will play a big part in his decision making process in 2014.

Later on in the show Mike made the following comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbe-kIWlWI

shelly
01-03-2012, 18:43
mike sounded bad ... like 2014 cant come soon enough... can you imagine a giant jet superbowl in '14..that will really heat things up in february....hope they bring maddog back...he's lost on satellite radio

The Boss
01-03-2012, 19:20
If I had things my way, I would have Mike and the Maddog back together, but I will take Francesa solo if not. And if Mike is done, then I would want Russo back in that slot.

ogmike
01-03-2012, 19:32
It's a message to CBS radio to be ready to cough up bigger bucks or maybe a contract extension.;)

The Boss
01-03-2012, 20:09
Francesa tells Newsday: "I'm even saying I'm leaning toward leaving." (http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/mike-francesa-may-sign-off-fan-for-good-in-2014-1.3426402?qr=1)

Again, Mike says that moving to Sirius or 1050 are not options.

BrooklynAncestry
01-03-2012, 22:51
It's hard to even think of NY radio without Mike Francesa. Wfan is a bit thin when Mike is on vacation. Outside of Maddog, I'm not even sure who I would even want to hear everyday.

ogmike
01-04-2012, 08:26
"Candidates to succeed him figure to include midday hosts Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts as well as Chris Carlin and Kimberly Jones, who have worked a number of fill-in shifts together, including morning shows last week, and former WFANer Gregg Giannotti, who currently is working in Pittsburgh."

1. I would listen to "The Apple" - 970 AM before any of them. :rolleyes: :D
2. If Mike does leave, they will have Rosenberg in that slot so fast, he'll be doing his show by cell phone from Miami airport while he is waiting for his plane to JFK. :eek:

The Boss
01-04-2012, 09:09
If Mike does leave, they will have Rosenberg in that slot so fast, he'll be doing his show by cell phone from Miami airport while he is waiting for his plane to JFK

You dont think theyd throw a load at Maddog to get him back?

johnnycat5
01-04-2012, 10:42
Mike will turn 60 in March 2014. He loves his kids based on what I see on the radio and on YES. Being a family man, I myself look to kick back and scale my work down when I reach that age. I can see Mike sailing off into the sunset, or maybe he'll do a "Tom Brokaw" and do seasonal work or scale back to 2-3 times a week and take the period between the Superbowl and Opening Day off and a good chunk of the summer (which he does now in fact).

People get on him for taking a lot of time off in the summer, but honestly, if anyone has earned it, it's Mike Francesa, and believe me I often disagree with some of his views, but I respect his professionalism and dedication to his craft.

Good luck and God Bless to Mr. "Pope" Mike Francesa, no matter what decision he makes.

Mike, if you read this......take time out to be with your children, you are doing that already. You don't get that back when they grow up.

ogmike
01-04-2012, 10:47
They might try, but they love Sid.

ogmike
01-04-2012, 11:02
I think you are on to something Johnnycat5. I can see him doing a daily 4 hour show during the NFL season and continuing NFL now.

The Boss
01-04-2012, 15:40
They might try, but they love Sid.

They can love him, but they also fired him. They had him and they can have him now if they want him. Remember Sid missed that Saturday show on WFan just a few months ago, allegedly.

Iceman
01-10-2012, 09:24
If I had to guess, I would guess that we are going to see a slow lessening of the workload for Mike. He already takes alot of time off during the summer and I can see him now taking alot of time off from the end of the Superbowl to March Madness. There isn't much going on during that time for him to be there.

On the flip side, I would think WFAN has to really start worrying about a backup plan. Joe and Evan cannot carry the midday, its too long of a slot and they don't have that level of credibility. There is noone else on that lineup who can do it either. Just trying to shove Carlin and Jones in would not work, there has to be some sort of transition.

They would be better to try and bump Joe and Evan to 10-2. Give Mike 2-6 with the extra time off and pair him up with Kim Jones. That way they could begin to build towards a natural transition away from Mike. Mike works well with Kim Jones and they have some good chemistry. When Mike is ready to leave you can than bring in someone to team up with Jones, who would by then have built up a good head of steam in the afternoon slot.

fansince87
01-10-2012, 17:24
I like Carlin. Carlin and Jones is better than Joe and Evan but they are usually on for short bursts. Not sure if Carlin and Jones would work that well long term if eventually that was actually considered by FAN management.

Gianotti over the holidays was not impressive. Would he improve if back in NY full time? I'll give him a bit of a pass but in all phases of a radio broadcast it wasn't very impressive radio. I'd take Sussman over Gianotti.

Malusis deserves a shot but he would need the right partner. Again preferred over Gianotti or Joe and Evan.

Always liked Gordon Damer. On 880 doing sports updates so he is part of the CBS family. Did what he wanted when he had a show on WEPN including on-air complaints that they weren't promoting his show. He was 100% right as there was promotion of the other shows but his was overnight so they cared less. He was shown the door soon after of course because he was not a yes man/ESPN shill. Witty, good personality and mixes in some other stuff instead of repeating the same sports opinions over and over.

Brandon Tierney as well, who was the only other good potential guy up the dial. Again he was shown the door soon after on-air backlash at the ESPN way(refused to open shows with their chosen topics instead of the real proper topic). Maybe in a few years a Tierney can come back to NY.

Anyone think Bull could come back and take over for Mike in the future? I'd be more than happy with that. He belongs in NY anyway instead of Cleveland.

Mad Dog is getting old. Annoying since he is not a fan of the NY teams and pushes his tweaking of the NY fans too far when he is solo. Been there done that and it would get old quick. We need new and fresh. Same with Sid. Not reliable and his great "stories" that suck on radio cause you can really tell them on air. Silly laughing and hinting/insinuating. Might be better on satellite cause he could talk freely but not the same on terrestrial radio. Again been there done that.

They seem to just be playing around with Phenom winners/finalists lately on the overnights. They need to get going on these things. Sommers won't be around much longer. Mike will slow down and eventually probably just do the NFL Now. They have to be well prepared and looking to the future.

Phoenixx
01-17-2012, 07:20
Wait a minute...

if Francesa retires, how will Malusis know what opinion to have on any issue ??

BJ
01-17-2012, 23:01
I think before a retirement u got to get atleast 1 yr of Mike & the dog back..that would be the way to go out,only fitting

Iceman
01-19-2012, 10:03
They seem to just be playing around with Phenom winners/finalists lately on the overnights. They need to get going on these things. Sommers won't be around much longer. Mike will slow down and eventually probably just do the NFL Now. They have to be well prepared and looking to the future.

This is a great point. I like Sommers, but he has lost alot on his fastball lately, and lets be honest he was never that great on sports knowledge. Lately I found that even his monologues, the one thing he still had going for him, just aren't as good.

I don't mean to rip Sommers, but my point is they need to bring in fresh talent. Guys like Sommers should not be occupying prime slots. (I consider the 6:30 slot somewhat prime because you still have people commuting and hanging on at the end of Mike's show). Guys, like Richard Neer shouldn't ever be occupying any slots. The fact that I have heard Richard Neer more than someone like say, Sussman in the last year is a problem.

They just seem to be making no effort to groom or bring in new talent and instead are content to just keep rolling out the same old names that have been around the last 20 years.