PDA

View Full Version : Oh Captain, My Captain

jerseyhawk68
01-07-2012, 13:37
The old saying goes, “big tree fall hard.”

There could be a new saying that goes, “big coach with big ego takes failure hard.”

Rex Ryan and his Gang Green disappointed half of the city that never sleeps despite preseason promises of playing well into the New Year, and floating down the Canyon of Heroes, much like their Big Blue counter parts did several years before. There are actually several phrases that could describe this team, “pride cometh before the fall,” “talk is cheap,” but the one that applies the most is “letting the inmates run the asylum.” Now don’t let these quotes fool you. Rex Ryan is a players’ coach, they love him, and he does an amazing job of deflecting the attention from them, to him. But the players should use that extra time not answering questions to do a little more than practicing their airplane dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQDbXFri74). I would play for Rex any day. He is the kind of person that would be side by side with you going into war; he would give you the shirt off of his back. Just not the kind of person you want to have the title of Head Coach. His players love him and say would do anything for him, Ryan likes to be one of the boys. Actually maybe too much like the boys (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Rex-Ryan-maintains-his-girlish-figure-with-7-000?urn=nfl-214767) (I’m just saying Brandon Moore is 6’3” 305 lbs. and Rex is 6’3” and probably a Katz’s Deli pastrami sandwich away from that number). Rex deserves to be on a coaching staff, just not to be the head of it.

From day one, Rex guaranteed his fan base a Super Bowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3EvxFkRo0). Losing in the AFC Championship game, he made sure that next year would be the year this deprived fan base would receive their championship. To no avail, no Super Bowl was had, but a consecutive AFC Championship appearance surely meant something had to give and 2011 would be the year with a third year 1st round pick quarterback and the best cornerback in the league. However, a devastating loss to the lowly division rival Dolphins in the final game of the season, when their captain quit on the team to cap off an 8-8 season and a division championship by the New York Giants left Jets fans in shock and in a depression. Not only did Rex let down one fan base in green, but another group of fans in green jerseys in South Philly were relying on the arm of the young Mark Sanchez to beat the Giants and somehow propel the dream team from the nightmare they were into the post season they all thought they were destined to have. Needless to say, they were crushed.

They say teams take on the personality of their head coach. This one sure did. From the microphone to the kids running around the field pretending to be airplanes, for better or for worse, this Jets team was an extension of Rex Ryan. However, the team has only gotten worse and that can be directly correlated to the leadership that has come and gone. This team went from having players such as Alan Faneca, Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody, and Shaun Ellis to Captain Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Antonio Cromartie. An All-Pro man for others like Tony Richardson to an HBO-made camp phenomenon like “Terminator” John Conner. Ladanian Tomlinson is a shell of his former self and cannot handle the team on his own. Rex needs his core of Revis, Mangold, and Sanchez to step up much like Wayne Hunter did in their final game. Wayne is obviously not the best lineman in the trenches, but he stood up for what he thought was right and “played like a Jet,” as Rex would always preach, and called out his captain for not acting like one and made him take a seat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rit2db_sulU). This is the leadership this team needs. Not necessarily from Hunter, but from all the players in general.

Rex’s ways are not anything new. His father Buddy was the same person, with a less successful playoff record. His father once smacked Kevin Gilbride on the head during a game when they were on the same coaching staff (which I wouldn’t mind happening to Gilbride sometimes today), and it seems like Rex needs to have some sense smacked into him. Mike Francesa on WFAN said it best “I never heard anyone reference two losses more before than this guy (re: two AFC Championship losses).” He has to get over himself and find a different way. Rex Ryan didn’t know that Wayne Hunter had kicked Santonio out of the huddle. Wait, HE DIDN’T KNOW? You didn’t know that you multi-million dollar captain was not in the game during the most crucial drive of your season? Lack of control is an understatement. Lack of control, lack of awareness. Maybe if HBO had him mic’d up he would have cursed a little and paid a little more attention. But, the fact is he didn’t know what was going on. Maybe daddy should have been there to give him a smack on the head. For those that have been on Rex’s team since the beginning I think it’s time to say, “We’re not in Kansas anymore.” If you don’t believe me, ask someone inside the locker room (http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/04/greg-mcelroy-jets-locker-room-full-of-selfish-individuals/).

Rex should play buddy-buddy. That’s what he’s good at. But you can’t be head coach too, you can’t have both. Baltimore’s defense was great under his control. I’m sure he acted the same way there as he does here, but the difference is he was not in charge. He was able to have his fun and do his thing, but there was someone to keep things in line – a head coach. Rex is like a high school kid who parties all the time, but has his parents to keep him under control so he still gets the grades to get into college. Well now he’s in college, and he’s on his own, and his grades aren’t looking too good. No daddy here to help you, Rex.

Rex Ryan could have the title of head coach for my team any day – but the word Assistant would be in front of it.

At least he does a good impression of his brother (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eid0Rn7zk0s), looks wise and record wise vs. the Giants.

The Boss
01-07-2012, 23:01
Great posting, if it had been placed here a few days earlier we really could have pushed it. Look forward to see more from you