PDA

View Full Version : What Else Is Going On In The NFL?

MadStorkSports
01-10-2012, 08:48
The NFL's Wildcard weekend had other news and tidbits as
well, so I thought some might be worth mentioning.

<b>The Schottenheimer effect:</b> No this isn't me ragging on
the Schottenheimer family again, and talking about the
curse. It is interesting to note that Brain has a shot
at the Jacksonville job, while Marty is in the running
for the Tampa job with the Bucs, and with Jeff Fisher
close to turning down the Dolphins to take the Rams job,
there's a good chance the only way Florida sees a
Super Bowl is if they host it. Just sayin'

<b>Giants at Green Bay Part II:</b> No Brett Favre, but the
Giants come in as dogs again, and just for the record,
I picked the Giants to represent the NFC in the BIG
game a few weeks ago, so this is big.

<b>The Tebow Effect:</b> No one has a thing to say when he throws
for 60 yards, a pick and his team puts three points up on
board in the regular season at home when they need the game
to get into the playoffs, but the Raiders lose, the Broncos
get in, and it was ALL TEBOW, and his pal upstairs of course.
I'm sure he got help from upstairs too, to make sure Ryan
Clark had Sickle Cell, so he wouldn't be able to play as well.

<b>Coaching Carousel Hires 3 years later:</b> If Todd Haley doesn't
get the OC gig with the Jets, he may return to Arizona for
the same job, he left behind in 08' to be HC of the Chiefs.
That would mean that two of the hot, more overblown Head Coach
prospects of 2008 would be back with their old team doing their
old job. Josh McDaniels is the other. Today Arizona fired
their QB coach, who probably got blamed for the ALMIGHTY Kevin
Kolb laying an overpriced egg.

<b>Dirty Dirty Birds:</b> Falcons D coordinator Brian VanGorder left the
Falcons to accept the same position at Auburn. Guess he realized
that the Falcons were over rated and weren't to get anywhere with
Matt Ryan as their QB. Who's next Chuck Pagano?

I could go on all day, but that's all for now.

Follow me @MadStorkSports on Twitter
Go to www.MadStorkSports.com & Follow
"LIKE" The Mad Stork Sports Audio Blog on Facebook
Mad Stork Sports w/Nick Rizzo Wednesday
evenings at from 6-7 PM on Scatterradio

The Boss
01-10-2012, 09:37
Love the Tebow bashing from everyone.

MadStorkSports
01-10-2012, 12:45
It's not called bashing if the numbers support it. Great yards vs Pitt, but let's be fair,
though all QB's benefit, the yards after the catch are what made them look good at all.

Against Pitt he was 10-21, under 50% not good fro any QB, BUT he Won

Against KC (Must win Game) he was 6-22, that's 27%, Cmon! 60Yds Passing No TD's &1 Int
Wanna tell me he does it with his feet? In that game he rushed 6 times for 22yds (2.7Avg)

Against Buffalo the week before (Buffalo was on a 7 game losing streak) he was 13-30 43%
for 185 yds 1 TD 3 Int's (Stats say 4 but one was overturned into a fumble) and rushed
for 34 yds on 10 carries 3.4 avg, not that good either.

Tebow bashing or numbers crunching?

I like Tim Tebow, but there are AT LEAST 29 other
starting QB's right now I would take over him at that number
is pre draft, after the draft I still rate Andrew Luck(Over rated),
and RG III over him just to name a couple.

Follow me @MadStorkSports on Twitter
Go to www.MadStorkSports.com & Follow
"LIKE" The Mad Stork Sports Audio Blog on Facebook
Mad Stork Sports w/Nick Rizzo Wednesday
evenings at from 6-7 PM on Scatterradio

Iceman
01-10-2012, 14:49
It's not called bashing if the numbers support it. Great yards vs Pitt, but let's be fair,
though all QB's benefit, the yards after the catch are what made them look good at all.

Ill disagree with this, this was probably the first game I have seen where Tebow actually made some good competent throws. He actually hit a couple of receivers in stride which is something I haven't seen him do that often or ever. It wasn't like he was throwing screens and dumpoffs for 316 yards.

Meh, Tebow got slammed for the last three games because he was dreadful, its not like people were blind to that. He's an interesting guy at the least, on a team that is in the divisional round of the playoffs. Legit Superstars like Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are getting tons of credit this year, its nice though that the guy who is getting the most media attention not a superstar is Tebow, its usually guys like Pacman Jones and the other assorted thugs/knuckleheads that permeate the NFL.

The Boss
01-10-2012, 18:14
Maybe "Mocking" would have been a better word then bashing.

fansince87
01-10-2012, 18:35
Kinda looks like Tebow bashing a bit. 10-21 is less important than 316 yds(366 total) and 2 TDs with no INTs. As mentioned by Iceman, he looked better with his throws as well. He will get better as he learns to throw coming from the type of QB he was at Florida and before. No service to Tebow never really correcting his mechanical issues as he came up through the various levels of football. If he works on his game and develops more correct fundamentals he could be a solid starting quarterback if not anything special.

Don't agree with all the statements after the Pitt game that Tebow has really answered anything yet outside of leaving him alone for the rest of this season(which may only be another week for him). His work this off season will be key. If he was a finished product you could really slam him but he deserves a shot to develop esp. since he is behind other QB's at the same point. After that if he deserves to fall into back-up obscurity so be it!

MadStorkSports
01-10-2012, 22:09
Not mocking, and he's been a QB for what 5, 6 years now? He's not a QB, he's
a Tight End, or Running Back, and perhaps a great human being, but not a QB.
316 yards or 236, receiver ran for 80 yards on that last play, and yes EVERY
QB benefits from YAC, but some get lucky too.

The Boss
01-11-2012, 01:08
All this "man upstairs" and in this case, "pal upstairs" stuff is mocking the man.

Interesting thing is, nobody mentions anything when Mariano Riveras answer to every question about his talent and success is Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ.

I guess if Tebow was the best QB ever, he would be allowed to mention faith. Because making a 250k bonus for winning a game, on top of the other millions he has made, on top of the massive amount of success he has had with his combined 44-12 record including 1 Heisman, 1 almost Heisman, a National Championship, 1 almost National Championship, a playoff win and 5 miracle comeback wins before he even has one full season worth of NFL gametime, all while he obviously sucks and can't play the QB position, again is nothing to feel blessed for.

MadStorkSports
01-11-2012, 07:21
You are correct, but Football is much more on the National stage than yes, even the
ALMIGHTY YANKEES. And YES, you are correct again, he is an awesome COLLEGE QB,
Just ask David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Rex Grossman, etc. how
that's worked out for them. Man, Pal, Guy, Dude, Buddy Upstairs DOESN'T CARE WHO
WINS ON SUNDAY, only that you attend. So Mr Tebow needs to stop doing his best
Reggie White impersonation and stop pretending like the next thing he is going to be
told is to move to Cleveland because they haven't had a winner in like FOREVER.

Iceman
01-11-2012, 12:52
Not mocking, and he's been a QB for what 5, 6 years now? He's not a QB, he's
a Tight End, or Running Back, and perhaps a great human being, but not a QB.
316 yards or 236, receiver ran for 80 yards on that last play, and yes EVERY
QB benefits from YAC, but some get lucky too.

C'mon, if you are gonna bash/mock/hate, you gotta know Tebow was drafted in 2010. He played in 9 games last year and 14 games this year.

And you are wrong about that last play. The WR had beat his man and Tebow hit him in stride which allowed him to keep outrunning the coverage. Those are not dismissive YAC.

Screens or Dumpoffs where the guy shakes and bakes a couple of defenders are one thing, even the Victor Cruz plays were more about Cruz making things happen after the catch, but the winning play of the Denver game had as much to do with Tebow's throw as anything else.

I like Tebow, but I wouldn't say I am a Tebow fan, just don't get why so many people hate him so much.

MadStorkSports
01-11-2012, 13:26
5, 6 years included college. If he can get credit for a National Championship, an almost
National Championship, a Heisman, and an almost Heisman, then he can be counted
as a QB. OK, I was wrong about the LAST play? Was I wrong about 10-21 too?
The Steelers starting safety being held out? Him laying an GIANT EGG the last two
regular season games? Better yet, just answer this one: Who does his guy, dude, pal
buddy, Lord and Savior, or just GOD root for on Sundays?

BrooklynAncestry
01-11-2012, 15:48
We saw how you were a big Eli supporter even after he went 9-21 in a must win game against the Jets, with about 90 of his passing yards coming from awful Missed tackles by the Jets on the Cruz TD.

Never mind those details though, I think the real issue people have with Tebow is the fact that he is a Christian that actually knows what that means, and lives that life. Athlete's thank God on a routine basis but it is usually very empty, which is kinda how the majority of Christians treat their beliefs. A very small percentage of us read the bible daily, or visit church every Sunday. The ones that do, understand and like Tim Tebow, and the ones that don't, don't, for the most part.

The "Who does God root for" stuff is silly. Tebow thanks God I can assure you, after win, loses, for being able to help people, for his finances, family, waking up, health etc. Give him a career ending injury and a bad loss this week and I bet you a dollar he opens up his presser with a "I want to thank my Lord and Savior".

Iceman
01-11-2012, 16:09
5, 6 years included college. If he can get credit for a National Championship, an almost
National Championship, a Heisman, and an almost Heisman, then he can be counted
as a QB. OK, I was wrong about the LAST play? Was I wrong about 10-21 too?
The Steelers starting safety being held out? Him laying an GIANT EGG the last two
regular season games? Better yet, just answer this one: Who does his guy, dude, pal
buddy, Lord and Savior, or just GOD root for on Sundays?

No question he sucked it up the last two game regular season games, whats the point there. His team made the playoffs and he played very good in his playoff game and won.

I don't care whether or not he believes God roots for him on Sunday. As long as he doesn't tell me I must believe that God is helping him he's free to believe whatever he wants. So far he seems like he's a good guy why would I root against him. Like I said, in a league where there are too many Ray Lewis' and Pacman Jones' and the list goes on an on, why would I choose Tebow to hate.

MadStorkSports
01-12-2012, 12:18
No question he sucked it up the last two game regular season games, whats the point there. His team made the playoffs and he played very good in his playoff game and won.

I don't care whether or not he believes God roots for him on Sunday. As long as he doesn't tell me I must believe that God is helping him he's free to believe whatever he wants. So far he seems like he's a good guy why would I root against him. Like I said, in a league where there are too many Ray Lewis' and Pacman Jones' and the list goes on an on, why would I choose Tebow to hate.

I don't care whether he believes or not either. I do, glad he does, and DON'T hate or dislike him for it,
but it insults my intelligence when guys like him or even him like to infer that that's why they one,
someone upstairs (Insert whoever you believe in here) was pulling for them. This implies that they
that they were pulling against the other team. What no believers at all on the other team?
I agree he seems like a good guy, and I actually believe he is, and I am NOT rooting against him, BUT
my opinion is that he WILL NOT be a good or above average long term QB in the NFL. What does that
have to do with his belief or whether or not I'm rooting against him? There are plenty of guys I think are
over rated that I root for, it's irrelevant. Glad you mentioned Lewis and Pacman, they are two that
get on my nerves specifically so yes I would rather he succeed than them, BUT he can still manage
to get on my nerves for being such an annoying holy roller that doesn't know how to separate sports
and religion. IT'S JUST A GAME, Tell him to concentrate on world hunger or something.