PDA

View Full Version : Time is Running Out For the Yankees to Get a Starting Pitcher

Kab'iela
01-12-2012, 17:36
Time is of the essence, and it is running out. The Yankees still need a sufficient number three starting pitcher. A rotation consisting of Nova and Sabathia as the only two good pitchers, along with A.J. Burnett, Freddy Garcia, and Phil Hughes, is not going to get the job done. I know the Yankees have expressed interest in Jair Jurrjens and Felix Hernandez, but those guys are not free agents, and would cost us top prospects. There are free agent starting pitchers like Hiroki Kuroda, Edwin Jackson, and Roy Oswalt, who the Yankees are also interested in, that wouldnít be such a burden on the Yankees budget, both player-wise and money-wise. I have compared these five pitchers to each other via their 2011 stats, mostly based upon the amount of innings each pitched.

Felix Hernandez was the best pitcher out of these five. He was the best strikeout pitcher for the amount of innings he pitched. He gave up the third most walks for the innings he pitched. Though he gave up the least hits for the number of pitches he threw, he gave up the second least hits for the innings he pitched. He gave up the third most runs for the innings he pitched. He gave up the third least home runs for the amount of runs he gave up and for the amount of innings he pitched. Despite his 3.47 ERA being the best out of the other four pitchers for the amount innings he pitched, he gave up the third most earned runs for the innings he pitched, but had the second lowest percentage of earned runs for the runs he gave up.

Since it is highly unlikely the Mariners will ask for anyone but top prospects, the Yankees chances of getting Felix Hernandez are very slim. The next best pitcher the Yankees could get is Hiroki Kuroda.

Kuroda was the second best pitcher out of the other four pitchers. He was the second best strikeout pitcher for the amount of innings he pitched, and gave up the second least walks for the innings he pitched. He gave up the second least hits for the number of pitches he threw, but gave up the third most hits for the innings he pitched. Though he gave up the second least runs for the innings he pitched, he had given up the most home runs for the amount of innings he pitched as well as for the amount of runs he gave up. He gave up the second least earned runs for the innings he pitched, and had the lowest percentage of his runs being earned runs. His 3.07 ERA was second best, out of the other four pitchers, for the amount of innings he pitched. He gave up the second least earned runs for the amount of innings he pitched, and had the lowest percentage of his runs being earned runs.

Kuroda is one of the cheapest pitchers the Yankees could get. Heís a free agent, so he wonít cost any players, and he would only be signed a year; for a player who wants $13-14 million dollars, thatís not bad.

Jair Jurrjens was the third best pitcher, though he was the worst strikeout pitcher for the amount of innings he pitched. He gave up the second most walks for the innings he pitched. He gave up the third least hits for the amount of pitches he threw, being not far behind Kuroda, and gave up the least hits for the amount of innings he pitched. Though he gave up the least runs for the amount of innings he pitched, he gave up the second most home runs for the number of innings he pitched as well as for the amount of runs he gave up. Though he had the second worst ERA among the other four pitchers, and had the highest percentage of earned runs for the amount of runs he gave up, he gave up the least earned runs for the number of innings he pitched.

However, since Jair Jurrjens is one of the Braves best pitchers, the Yankees may have to give up at least Eduardo NuŮez for him, something Cashman is unlikely to do. The other problem with Jurrjens is his history of knee problems. He spent time on the DL in 2010 after injuring his knee, and after August 2011, spent the remainder of the season on the DL when that same knee gave him issues again. His performance had been on the decline since the All-Star break, so itís likely that knee had been bothering him since then.

Roy Oswalt was the fourth best pitcher. He gave up the second least strikeouts for the amount of innings he pitched, but gave up the least walks for the innings he pitched. He gave up the second most hits for the innings he pitched, and gave up the most hits for the number of pitches he threw. Though not far behind Hernandez, Oswalt gave up the second most runs for the amount of innings he pitched, but gave up the least home runs out of the runs he gave up. However, he had the worst ERA for the innings he pitched. He gave up the second most earned runs for the amount of innings he pitched, and had the second highest percentage of his runs being earned runs.

Oswalt, though inexpensive, and willing to sign a one-year deal with the Yankees, may not be the best pitcher for them because of his long history of back problems. He missed a month last season because of back pain. He may fall under the same trap Jair Jurrjens did in 2011- start off the season being your best pitcher, then fall apart and miss some due to injuries. That would defeat the purpose of getting him.

Edwin Jackson was the worst of these five pitchers. He was the third best strikeout pitcher for the amount of innings he pitched. He had the most walks for the innings pitched. He gave up the second most hits for the number of pitches thrown, and gave up the most hits for the amount of innings he pitched. Though he gave up the most runs for the innings he pitched, he gave up the second least home runs for the innings he pitched. He also gave up the second least home runs out of the runs he gave up. He had the third best ERA for the amount of innings he pitched, and gave up the third least earned runs for the innings he pitched. He also had the third lowest percentage of earned runs out of the runs he gave up.

Though Jackson is a free agent and has some good numbers, he wants a $15 million, four-year deal. The Yankees have been in talks with Jacksonís agent, so maybe they can negotiate something more reasonable to Brian Cashmanís standards, but if they canít agree on anything less than a $15 million multi-year deal, Cashman may not do it.

If nothing can be negotiated with any starting pitcher soon, it would be the Yankees best bet to sign Hiroki Kuroda. I understand Cashman wants to get under the luxury tax to increase payroll a few years down the road, but heís got to make a move.

Kab'iela

The Boss
01-12-2012, 20:13
I still love when people suggest they know what these pitchers are going to do before a season starts. Could you have counted on COlon, Garcia or Nova at stat of last season? Hell no. Now tell me why Phil Hughes is an automatic awful season just waiting to happen? Even A.J can bounce back.

Kab'iela
01-13-2012, 02:47
I'm one of the believers in A.J. He pitched the best for the Yankees this past September and October. His performance in the ALDS made me change my perspective on A.J. Phil Hughes didnt pitch enough games for me to see that he cam prove himself, and I'd rather see him start the season in the bullpen so not to put stress on his arm. I give him benefit of the doubt for not improving because he was coming off an injury, but seeing that he was just the same as before he went on the DL makes me doubt him. Hopefully he can improve his performance in 2012; if he doesnt, Scranton Wiles Barre, or trade deadline.

ss12108
01-13-2012, 12:14
The Yankees are not going to risk free agency next year by signing ANY of the remaining FA pitchers to a long term deal. There's a reason they weren't in on CJ Wilson at his asking price, and there's a reason they have no locked into Edwin Jackson (who is just an innings eater at the end of the day...he's 28 now...the potential as a 20 year old didn't pan out). Potential FA starters include Grienke, Hamels, Haren, Shields, E. Santana...no guarantee they won't be locked up by their current teams, but you don't risk potentially signing 1 or 2 of those guys by locking into more than 1 year of the available pitchers.

They are going to go with what they have unless they can get any of the available decent SP's on a 1 year deal...that is of course unless ownership jumps in and overrules Cashman.

KillaKaelb
01-13-2012, 21:15
It is interesting because they did end up signing Kuroda to a 1 year deal. A smart move. The biggest surprise came when they traded for Pineda. This came out of no where because everyone thought it was Felix or bust from the Mariners. It seems like Cashman woke up today and decided he needed to make moves.