PDA

View Full Version : Taking Out the Trash (Talking)

jerseyhawk68
01-12-2012, 18:03
here’s been a lot of talking going on this week. Players have been talking about their teams, themselves, about opposing teams, and a about players they are not even playing against. Jason Pierre-Paul, defensive end for the NY Giants, opened up the week on an emotional high guaranteeing a win against the Packers after a blowout victory at home vs. the Falcons. He backed off by saying “If we go out there and play like we’re supposed to play and like we did last Sunday, we’re going to win.” BJ Raji, nosetackle of the defending Super Bowl Champion Packers fired back this week, “I played them once this year and once last year. I can only judge by my vantage point up front.Their backs are pretty physical, but not the toughest O-line. Not saying they're soft, but not the toughest group I've been against.”

Big words from a big man. If toughness has anything to do with running production then the Giants have the least tough offensive line in the league. However, NFL.com’s offensive line power rankings rank the Giants’ offensive line 7th, and the Packers 21st. The Packers’ offensive line also let up 12 more sacks than the Giants’ with around 70 less drop backs than the Giants. Not to mention according to @ProFootbalFocus, B.J. Raji was last at stopping the run out of all nosetackles with stops on 2.4% of running plays. Granted in a 3-4 defense the nosetackle is supposed to take up blockers while the linebackers make the tackles, however, that stat is stacked up against other nosetackles. In fact, that not so tough line held him to 1 solo tackle, even Chris Snee, a Giants offensive lineman, made the stat sheet with a solo tackle. Giants’ offensive line may not be that tough, but they were better than the Packers’ and handled Mr. Raji pretty well.

Speaking of trash talking, shouldn’t Joe Flacco be more worried about his upcoming playoff game instead of explaining to the media how he really is good. Joe said,

" If you look at the teams that won, yeah you can look at the quarterbacks but that's just because you guys, ESPN, everybody wants to pump them up as being the best quarterback that year. You guys want everybody to be Aaron Rodgers and be Tom Brady, but you guys do realize, those guys' [teams] don't run the ball? If we try to do that, the criticism that we'd take around here would be ridiculous."

Hey Joe, newsflash, you are not an elite quarterback. I’d put him a little above average. “Those guys’ teams don’t run the ball.” Let’s analyze that. Flacco had 542 attempts and Aaron Rodgers had 502 (granted Rodgers sat out one game, but adding on another 40 attempts more than makes up for one game). Also, the Ravens only ran the ball 21 more times all season than the Patriots (elite quarterback) and have 10 yards less per game rushing than the Saints (elite quarterback). Check some facts before you complain, Joseph.

BrooklynAncestry
01-12-2012, 19:44
Good job putting Flacco in his place.

The Boss
01-12-2012, 22:27
Hey Hawk, love the stuff you write but try to have the title give some sort of indication of the topic contained within. When people see the link name they have no idea what person, team, sport etc you are talking about and many wont bother clicking just to find out. thanks

jerseyhawk68
01-13-2012, 10:24
yeah, you got it. also, carl banks just pointed out of joe & evan that mitch petrus shut down bj raji last game lol.