PDA

View Full Version : NY Mets owner Fred Wilpon thinks he can overcome challenging time

BJ
01-17-2012, 09:57
The Major League Baseball owners descended upon a place called "The Sanctuary" in Paradise Valley, Ariz., for their quarterly meetings. But there is really no sanctuary and no paradise for Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon.

Wilpon spoke out for the first time since midseason, addressing reporters and maintaining what he always had -- that he will do whatever he can to maintain control of the franchise. But that has grown harder and harder since it became clear that Wilpon had been victimized by the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.

"How could anybody deny that it's been a challenging time?" Wilpon said. "But I came from nothing. I meet the challenges. So does Saul (Katz) and Jeff (Wilpon) and our whole family. We're meeting the challenges and I think we'll be fine."

The Mets have cut their payroll drastically, from the $143 million of 2011 to a number that is expected to be below $100 million this season. But the franchise lost $70 million last year and has mounting debt -- a $25 million loan from Major League Baseball, a $40 million bridge loan, the payments due on the stadium and SNY, the network that is partially owned by the Wilpons, as well as the looming decision on what the clawback lawsuit on behalf of the Madoff victims will cost Wilpon.

"I think we have to get the fans back at the stadium," Wilpon said. "That's a necessity. That's the lifeblood. And to do that, we have to have a good team. We have to be careful that we don't make some of the mistakes that we made in the past, having long-term contracts that didn't work out."

Do fans think the Wilpons will survive these tuff times, lets hear what the Met fan thinks,comments please...