PDA

View Full Version : Yankees 2012 DH?

KillaKaelb
01-17-2012, 18:13
After Brian Cashman pulled off a shocker and traded Montero for Pineda, there leaves an empty spot in the lineup for a DH. There are several different options out there for the Yankees to look at, including some internal ones. According to reports, the Yankees are telling people they only have about $2 mil to spend. This seems like it is a legitimate report, but we have all been lied to by the Yankees before, so who knows what the truth is. Based off of this information, we need to look at who would be the best fit for the Yankees DH spot.

I am going to start here by saying to everyone that the idea of Prince Fielder is completely insane. There is no way Fielder is going to accept a 1 year deal. Now the Yankees could offer him a 1 year $25 mil deal, but Prince is going to be looking for a long term commitment, so the Yankees will not get Prince Fielder.

Wow, now that that is done, I can move on to the more serious candidates.

Carlos Pena

This name has come up from the moment the trade went down. A power hitting lefty with a great swing for the short Yankee Stadium porch. He has 40 homerun power in a terrible lineup. If he is put into the Yankees already strong lineup, I am not going to say he would hit 50, but there is potential. However, with all the homeruns he could possibly hit, it is difficult for him to get a base hit when it is needed. Over the past 4 seasons he has a .224 average. Is this the type of bat the Yankees want?

Johnny Damon

After leaving the team prior to the 2010 season, Damon has wanted to come back to the Yankees. I can only imagine his desire became greater when he witnessed, in person, the 3000 hit by Derek Jeter. When he left, the Yankees, arguably, lost their best clutch hitter and never found someone to replace him. His average his gone down in the past 2 years, but that happens with age. In 2010, his power numbers were not there either, but he also played in Detroit, a pitchers ball park. When he went to TB last year, his power numbers returned. Damon can still play the outfield, but that is not going to matter to them. He has proven he can still hit and is a fan favorite. Damon also has a perfect swing for Yankee stadium, but there are two questions. 1) Should his decline in average be a source for alarm? 2) Will Damon be ok being never playing the field, like Hideki Matsui in 2009?

Hideki Matsui

Speaking of Matsui, his name also popped up. Matsui, just like Damon, also left after the 2009 season. As another fan favorite, Matsui would be welcomed back with open arms. Almost the opposite of Damon, when Matsui left, he had a solid season with the Angels, but followed that by a terrible year with OAK, but just like Damon, his bad season was in a well known pitchers ballpark, just ask Matt Holliday. Matsui, just like Damon (there seems to be a theme), has a perfect swing and was also one of the better clutch hitters on that 2009 World Champion team. We already know Matsui is ok with DHing all the time, so it is just a matter of interest by both parties. The biggest question mark with Matsui is, was that bad season with OAK just because of the pitchers ballpark, or is he declining right before our eyes?

Andruw Jones

Jones was on the team last year and had a solid year in limited playing time. He hit .247 13 33. He came up with a couple big hits throughout the season, but It seemed that Girardi was smart with Jones and only played him when the binder told him to, which was against most lefties. Do the Yankees want a guy as a their DH who will not be in the lineup everyday?

Jorge Vasquez

The other name that has popped up is an in house name. Jorge Vasquez has been in the Yankees farm system since 2009 and has had a very successful go around. Last year in AAA Scranton, Vasquez hit .262 32 93. That is a very strong year for a player who is not on everyone's radar. Vazquez is not a young player, 29, so the Yankees would not have to treat him with kid gloves. The surprising thing though is even with that great season, the Yankees did not put Vasquez on the 40-man roster last year. Vasquez will have to show last year was not a fluke to get this spot. The problem is he cannot prove anything until Spring Training, which could be too late.

Mark Trumbo/Billy Butler

These two are names that are not brought up except on the extreme rumor mill. There was a rumor that the Yankees were in talks to trade David Robertson for Mark Trumbo. That would be an absolutely panic move by the Yankees, so I do not see this happening. However, Billy Butler intrigues me. It is possible that the Yankees could get him for Phil Hughes. Now I am a huge fan of Hughes and would not want to give him up, but a swap of Butler for Hughes could make sense for both teams.

After going through all these names, to me there is only one person the Yankees should go after for that DH spot. That person is Johnny Damon. He has the perfect swing for the stadium would be in the $2mil price range. Damon is the clutch hitter the Yankees have been looking for since they lost, well since they lost him.

Who do you think would be perfect for the Yankees DH spot?

The Boss
01-17-2012, 18:18
A-Rod

Bobcat
01-17-2012, 18:35
We were obviously writing at the same time since our posts were 2 minutes apart

KillaKaelb
01-17-2012, 18:59
We were obviously writing at the same time since our posts were 2 minutes apart

I know I laughed when I posted mine.

KillaKaelb
01-17-2012, 19:02
I think A-Rod will be the DH in 2 years, but he can still play 3rd at a high level. He is a solid defender and who are you going to put there instead? NunEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

The Boss
01-17-2012, 19:35
I think if you get one full injury free good defensive year out of A-Rod you have to sign for it right now. He is only a year older this year, and only ever further into his decline. You'll get brandon Laird to play if that all you have to put there. I think the Yanks will be forced into making A-Rod DH pretty soon.

From your options I personally would pick Matsui.

KillaKaelb
01-17-2012, 20:29
Matsui is my second choice, but I am too afraid that he is on the decline and that last year was not because of the ballpark.

Those are really all the choices I have been reading about and that latest I heard was that Matsui could be the front runner. I am sure the others will get bigger contracts from other teams, but it could come down to do they want money or a chance to win?

BJ
01-17-2012, 22:48
I agree with The Boss, AROD..I think thats why Cashman didnt mind dealing Montero and why he's very hesitant to go after any guy who stricly needs to DH..Otherwise u got guys like Vlad or even Ortiz who still hasnt signed with Bos would be perfect in Yankee STadium..But good ole Arod is crippled..Cashman gonna wait and make a move for a bat during season

Bobcat
01-18-2012, 11:27
A lot of names are being thrown out there to fill the Yankees "vacant" DH spot. But, we'll get back to that list in a bit. I use the term vacant loosely since Montero wasn't slated to be a full time DH, and they'll need that spot to spell A-Rod and Jeter from playing the field at times. Which means the next player they sign will likely be Eric Chavez or someone else that can play the infield off the bench along with Nunez. Chavez will likely cost the Yankees the 1-2 million they claim they only have the ability to spend. In which case, they would likely give Triple-A slugger Jorge Vasquez a shot as the regular DH.
For the sake of our entertainment, let's say the Yankees decide to spend a little more than they say they're willing to and also sign a DH. Some names that have come up are Damon, Matsui, Carlos Pena, Jack Cust (yeah he's still around), Raul Ibanez, and Vlad Guerrero. I can't see the Yankees even thinking about Cust. Pena will cost too much and wants to play first base. I could see the Yankees signing one of the remaining players from that list. But, only on their terms, which would be 1 year for very little money (1-3 million). That could happen considering the pool is so deep, however, the likely season ending injury to Victor Martinez today will stop the prices from dropping too much, since the Tigers will be in the market for a DH as well. Long story short, don't be surprised if Jorge Vasquez is the Yankees DH on Opening Day.

@TheRealBobcat

Sportsaholics Anonymous
01-18-2012, 16:54
I can't see Jorge Vazquez being the answer. He makes Mark Reynolds look patient. I can the Yankees going into Spring Training with Vazquez getting a good look but there is something about him that scares me. He can mash for sure but you gotta make contact to be able to hit a home run. I can see the Yankees letting the flooded market play to their advantage. It says a lot when agents are going out of their way to contact the Yankees a couple of days after Montero got traded. Personally, I think the Yankees will try and use the rotating DH and re-sign Eric Chavez. When Chavez gets hurt maybe Vazquez can get his shot.

BrooklynAncestry
01-18-2012, 23:34
I can't see Jorge Vazquez being the answer.

The more I see on this guy the more I realize he is not going to be on the team unless it is desperate situation. He's not young, low avg, and strikes out a lot. Sounds great

KillaKaelb
01-20-2012, 16:50
His name gets brought up because of the strong season he had last year in AAA. Who knows, maybe he just took longer to develop than others.

KillaKaelb
01-21-2012, 09:25
Cross Pena off the list. He is now a Ray again.

KillaKaelb
01-23-2012, 15:41
Via Joel Sherman on Twitter: #Yankees DH plans: see if can swap Burnett for DH type or salary relief to find bat, explore trading a young starter (Hughes?) for a young, controllable bat. Last option: Turn to bat on market such as Damon, Matsui, etc.

Bobcat
01-24-2012, 18:24
Ortiz is in arbitration with the Red Sox so that's unlikely. And, NOBODY wants him playing 1st base. I think it will come down to whoever they can get a better deal for, Burnett or Hughes.

renee4ever211129
01-26-2012, 14:49
After Brian Cashman pulled off a shocker and traded Montero for Pineda, there leaves an empty spot in the lineup for a DH. There are several different options out there for the Yankees to look at, including some internal ones. According to reports, the Yankees are telling people they only have about $2 mil to spend. This seems like it is a legitimate report, but we have all been lied to by the Yankees before, so who knows what the truth is. Based off of this information, we need to look at who would be the best fit for the Yankees DH spot.

I am going to start here by saying to everyone that the idea of Prince Fielder is completely insane. There is no way Fielder is going to accept a 1 year deal. Now the Yankees could offer him a 1 year $25 mil deal, but Prince is going to be looking for a long term commitment, so the Yankees will not get Prince Fielder.

Wow, now that that is done, I can move on to the more serious candidates.

Carlos Pena

This name has come up from the moment the trade went down. A power hitting lefty with a great swing for the short Yankee Stadium porch. He has 40 homerun power in a terrible lineup. If he is put into the Yankees already strong lineup, I am not going to say he would hit 50, but there is potential. However, with all the homeruns he could possibly hit, it is difficult for him to get a base hit when it is needed. Over the past 4 seasons he has a .224 average. Is this the type of bat the Yankees want?

Johnny Damon

After leaving the team prior to the 2010 season, Damon has wanted to come back to the Yankees. I can only imagine his desire became greater when he witnessed, in person, the 3000 hit by Derek Jeter. When he left, the Yankees, arguably, lost their best clutch hitter and never found someone to replace him. His average his gone down in the past 2 years, but that happens with age. In 2010, his power numbers were not there either, but he also played in Detroit, a pitchers ball park. When he went to TB last year, his power numbers returned. Damon can still play the outfield, but that is not going to matter to them. He has proven he can still hit and is a fan favorite. Damon also has a perfect swing for Yankee stadium, but there are two questions. 1) Should his decline in average be a source for alarm? 2) Will Damon be ok being never playing the field, like Hideki Matsui in 2009?

Hideki Matsui

Speaking of Matsui, his name also popped up. Matsui, just like Damon, also left after the 2009 season. As another fan favorite, Matsui would be welcomed back with open arms. Almost the opposite of Damon, when Matsui left, he had a solid season with the Angels, but followed that by a terrible year with OAK, but just like Damon, his bad season was in a well known pitchers ballpark, just ask Matt Holliday. Matsui, just like Damon (there seems to be a theme), has a perfect swing and was also one of the better clutch hitters on that 2009 World Champion team. We already know Matsui is ok with DHing all the time, so it is just a matter of interest by both parties. The biggest question mark with Matsui is, was that bad season with OAK just because of the pitchers ballpark, or is he declining right before our eyes?

Andruw Jones

Jones was on the team last year and had a solid year in limited playing time. He hit .247 13 33. He came up with a couple big hits throughout the season, but It seemed that Girardi was smart with Jones and only played him when the binder told him to, which was against most lefties. Do the Yankees want a guy as a their DH who will not be in the lineup everyday?

Jorge Vasquez

The other name that has popped up is an in house name. Jorge Vasquez has been in the Yankees farm system since 2009 and has had a very successful go around. Last year in AAA Scranton, Vasquez hit .262 32 93. That is a very strong year for a player who is not on everyone's radar. Vazquez is not a young player, 29, so the Yankees would not have to treat him with kid gloves. The surprising thing though is even with that great season, the Yankees did not put Vasquez on the 40-man roster last year. Vasquez will have to show last year was not a fluke to get this spot. The problem is he cannot prove anything until Spring Training, which could be too late.

Mark Trumbo/Billy Butler

These two are names that are not brought up except on the extreme rumor mill. There was a rumor that the Yankees were in talks to trade David Robertson for Mark Trumbo. That would be an absolutely panic move by the Yankees, so I do not see this happening. However, Billy Butler intrigues me. It is possible that the Yankees could get him for Phil Hughes. Now I am a huge fan of Hughes and would not want to give him up, but a swap of Butler for Hughes could make sense for both teams.

After going through all these names, to me there is only one person the Yankees should go after for that DH spot. That person is Johnny Damon. He has the perfect swing for the stadium would be in the $2mil price range. Damon is the clutch hitter the Yankees have been looking for since they lost, well since they lost him.

Who do you think would be perfect for the Yankees DH spot?

I like either Johnny Damon or trading Phil Hughes for Billy Butler. I think either of them would be a great fit for the Yankees.

cjnesi
01-27-2012, 19:20
I would narrow the list to Damon and Matsui. From there, I believe Damon is the better choice. Matsui would be relegated to the sole LH DH role, while Damon can still play a little in the outfield.

They are both sentimental choices based on the 2009 season, but Matsui is also more likely to strike out, while Damon has THE perfect Yankee Stadium swing, and Damon is not HRs or bust.

My .02

The Boss
01-29-2012, 23:05
I'll admit I don't want Damon here even if he is a much better option than Matsui. Reason being, I don't like him. I didn't like him or want him to be part of this team coming from the Sox either. Send him back to Boston.

KillaKaelb
01-30-2012, 15:32
Out of the guys there, he is the most dependable. He can still play the OF. Matsui can't. I like Matsui better than Damon too, but when it comes to the team, I think Damon is the better choice.