PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Starting Pitching: Depth or Doubt?

Bobcat
01-21-2012, 12:50
After acquiring Pineda and Kuroda, the Yankees have added depth to their starting rotation. The question everyone seems to be asking is; "who will be the fifth starter?" Unfortunately, there are a lot more questions than that.
Sabathia, Nova, Pineda, and Kuroda are penciled in as 1 through 4, with Burnett, Hughes, and Garcia battling for the 5th spot. However, Sabathia is your only sure thing every 5 days.
--Nova and Pineda only have 1 year under their belts and could just as easily take a step backwards.
--Kuroda is much better than a #4 starter even in the AL East. But, his health is always an issue and its just a matter of time before he has to go on the DL. That should be offset by Garcia, who will likely be the "6th" starter/longman out of the bullpen. Which should work out nicely since Garcia will have health questions as well and you can't count on him repeating last year's perfomance.
--Now, the situation with Burnett and Hughes, is not as simple. If Burnett isn't the 5th starter, I can't see him staying in pinstripes. I think the Yankees will give him the job and hope he's decent. If not, they have no choice but to trade him and pay most of what's left on his contract. At least, any of the money they don't have to pay can go back into their budget. Hughes could win the 5th starter job or go back to the bullpen where he has had success. I've read some rumors that they're shopping him for a DH. But, I can't see them trading him since his value is at an all time low. They'd rather hold on to him and hope he goes back to showing signs of a future top end starter.
Spring training should answer some of these questions but, it should be real interesting to see how this all plays out.

The Boss
01-21-2012, 21:09
Clearly it is all a mystery until they take the field. Thank you

Bobcat
01-22-2012, 10:58
To follow up. Marc Craig from the Star-Ledger reported early this morning that the Yankees are trying to trade Burnett but, would have to eat almost 2/3 of his contract according to other executives around the league. And, trading his bad contract for another (i.e. Jason Bay, Vernon Wells, Alfonso Soriano) is out because those players have too many years left on their deals.

Bobcat
01-23-2012, 09:40
If they trade Burnett, I have to think that they make Hughes the 5th starter. He'll be a free agent after this season and there are too many questions surrounding him. The Yankees need to see him start this season to know if they should continue to invest in him.

BJ
01-24-2012, 10:37
Am I the only person who still feels Burnett can be a solid option in rotation..We quickly forget that this guy has proven he can win in majors,has as nasty of stuff as u can have as a pitcher..it's mostly mental.the only issue is his contract but it would be foolish just to try and get rid of em..he would be an absolute steal for a NL team in a trade..I feel he is going to be a huge surprise this YR..seriously !

Bobcat
01-24-2012, 11:19
I absolutely agree with Dr. Met. I try to stay away from my actual opinions on here and report on facts but, as a Yankees fan I have no problem with sending out there every 5 days.