PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from Mets in 2012

MFlorio
01-22-2012, 15:18
After what has been a pretty disappointing off seasons for the Mets, fans are wondering what to expect. These expectations are low after the Mets opted to let all-star SS Jose Reyes walk, and sign with the division rival Miami Marlins. The biggest moves the Mets made so far are the signing of Jon Rauch and Frank Fransisco, the duo that blew the most saves in baseball last season for the Toronto Blue Jays. The Mets also traded OF Angel Pagan, for OF Andres Torres and RP Ramon Ramirez.
Along with these moves the Mets resigned Mike Pelfrey and Scott Hariston. Perhaps the biggest additions will be having 1B Ike Davis and ace Johan Santana back to start the season. Rumor has it they are interested in OF Cody Ross, and another cheap starting pitcher, perhaps bringing Chris Young back for another season.
Not only have the Mets made low-key and cheap moves to try to prepare for the 2012 season, the rest of the division is vastly improving. The Phillies may have took the biggest hit losing Roy Oswalt, but will still be fighting for the top spot in the division. The Braves are young, and have a farm system filled with major league ready pitching prospect. The Marlins added Reyes Carlos Zambrano and Mark Buehrle to a roster already filled with young talent. The Nationals are another up and coming young team, and are in play to land Prince Fielder.
So with the competition growing, and the talent shrinking, it is no wonder why fans expect the Mets to finish in last place of the NL East. But while they may finish in last in what is clearly one of the most competitive divisions in baseball, I believe they will still win over 70 games. Terry Collins lead the injury prone 2011 Mets to a 77-85 record last season, often sending out lineups with players no one had ever heard of. Collins will squeeze out all this roster has to offer, but he can only squeeze so much.
Lets take a look at the projected Mets roster:
Lineup-
1. Andres Torres, CF
2. Daniel Murphy, 2B
3. David Wright, 3B
4. Ike Davis, 1B
5. Jason Bay, LF*
6. Lucas Duda, RF
7. Josh Thole, C
8. Ruben Tejada, SS
While many believe Duda will bat 5th, and rightfully so, I believe Bay will start out in the 5 hole.
Rotation-
1. Johan Santana
2. R.A. Dickey
3. Jon Niese
4. Mike Pelfrey
5. Dillon Gee
Bullpen-
CL- Frank Fransisco
SU- Jon Raunch
RP- Ramon Ramirez
RP- Bobby Parnell
RP- Tim Byrdak
Bench-
Scott Hariston
Justin Turner
Mike Nickeas
Adam Loewen
While Met fans may not have much to look forward too in 2012, with minor league pitchers such as Zack Wheeler and Matt Harvey, the future is starting to look bright. Still I believe for the Mets to be competitive the Wilpons will need to sell the team.

If you like what you read check me out:
Michael Florio
Fantasyondeck.com
Fantasy/General Sports Website

The Boss
01-22-2012, 15:31
Fantastic post. Unfortunately we already have the Mets Season Outlook (http://66wfan.net/showthread.php?1874-Mets-Season-Outlook...) conversation open. Thanks