PDA

View Full Version : NFC Championship - Rapid Reaction

ss12108
01-23-2012, 09:51
Just want to touch quickly on what I talked about last week and compare to what actually happened on the field:

1. Win the TO battle - Giants 2, 49ers 0 = check

2. Boley v Davis - They wound up with Kenny Phillips on him most of the day. You'd have to say this was won by Davis bc of the 2 big TDs, but I believe those were his only catches all day.

3. Less 3 safety sets for Giants - Giants did a pretty damn good job with the run, so they were able to keep the 3 safeties out there more often than not.

4. 49ers Special Teams - Ted Ginn was a bigger factor by not playing than he may have been the other way if he played. Both turnovers on special teams, both by the young man replacing Ginn. 49ers win that game if not for the punt that hit Williams' leg during regulation. Once I saw him make a diving catch on a punt earlier in the game, I knew there was a shot he was going to do something stupid at some point.

5. Eli was fine - but he's hurting like hell today. He took a freaking beating! "They have the only defense that can match the front 4 pressure the Giants bring." That was an understatement...they may have even exceeded the pressure the Giants bring, and they left an impression on Eli each time they hit him.

The game was EVERYTHING we all pegged it to be. Hard hitting, great defense, and the team that made less mistakes won. It was an odd game that almost felt like the Giants were dominating, but those are the types of games the 49ers play. Anyone who says Alex Smith is not talented is way off. If he actually had some weapons on the outside to throw to, he would prove a lot of people wrong. The guy is hamstrung with only 2 options in the passing game, one being his TE, and one being Gore out of the backfield. They need to trade up and draft him the OK State receiver or the kid from SC. Get him a beast at WR to pair up with Davis and Smith throws for 4k next year (bold prediction).

I wish I would have placed bets on my picks this week - took the Ravens to cover -7.5 and the under on 50, and the Giants to win straight up with the under on 42. DAMN!

Junior
01-23-2012, 12:46
I was waiting for Eli to show the signs of a beating but he hung in there. I'm not a fan, but he deserves a lot of credit. Both defenses got it done late, obviously the TO was the break they needed

ss12108
01-23-2012, 14:08
I was waiting for Eli to show the signs of a beating but he hung in there. I'm not a fan, but he deserves a lot of credit. Both defenses got it done late, obviously the TO was the break they needed

Did you see his face during the press conference after the game? The fat lip and bruises on his chin were signs enough of the beating for me! haha

The Boss
01-23-2012, 19:00
Seeing that would have been the only good part of yesterday