PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Posada retires. Is he a Hall of Famer?

Bobcat
01-24-2012, 18:40
The Yankees held a press conference today to announce Jorge Posada's retirement. It was also a celebration of his career. I thought the Yankees did an excellent job. I realized how spoiled us Yankee fans are and should enjoy these milestones. There is no question that Posada is an all-time great Yankee. But, does he belong in the Hall of Fame?

cjnesi
01-24-2012, 18:48
If I had a vote and the decision had to be made today, then YES, Jorge Posada is a HOF catcher. When you look at his numbers, and era he played in, he played the game the right way and played well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/posadjo01.shtml

dunhill225
01-25-2012, 10:01
NO!! the HOF is supposed to be for GREAT not pretty good players. It's a joke if he gets in. If I was Albert Belle and posada gets in I would drive to cooperstown with a can of gas and burn the place down. It is a JOKE if posada gets in....a JOKE.

The Boss
01-25-2012, 15:25
Barry Larkin just got in. By that guide I say yes.

But do either belong? no

Iceman
01-26-2012, 10:04
Posada shouldn't be in the HOF. There is no way that Larkin should be in the HOF, that election was baffling, but the Baseball Writers just do whatever they want and make up their own elitist rules.

KillaKaelb
01-27-2012, 20:54
I have been trying to decide whether I feel he is a HOF or not. There are two ways of looking at it.

1) Does he pass the name test? When you say Jorge Posada, do you automatically think Hall of Fame? I do not.

2) Was he a dominate player at his position during his time period? Yes he was. He was always tops as a catcher during his 17 year career, and he was clean while doing it.

Normally, I follow the name test, but part of me doesn't want to follow that. He has been a dominate player and he put up very good numbers as a catcher.

The other problem I have is, he doesn't have any of the Hall of Fame "numbers." (3000 hits and 500 homeruns)

I really cannot decide how I feel about it. If he does get in, I will be happy as a Yankee fan, but as a baseball fan, I am not sure how I am going to feel.