PDA

View Full Version : AJ Burnett trade being discussed with Pirates

Bobcat
02-10-2012, 12:12
According to multiple sources and outlets, there are serious discussions between the Yankees and the Pirates regarding AJ Burnett. It seems a swap of Burnett for Garrett Jones is what has been discussed.
The Yankees are willing to pick up all but $10M of the $33M left on Burnett's contract. However, the Pirates only want to pay $5M of his remaining contract. Until today, the Pirates refused to give up Jones in the deal. So, the Yankees may have to give in if they want Jones in return.
Jones, who batted .243/.321/.433 with 16 home runs, 58 RBI and a .753 OPS last season, is due to make somewhere between $2.25M and $2.5M in arbitration. He's a lefty hitter that can play 1B and OF. So I would assume the Yankees would no longer be interested in a lefty FA bat (i.e. Damon, Matsui, Ibanez) if they acquired him.

At this point, I think the Yankees should give in and eat all but the $5M left. They are obviously desperate to move Burnett, and Jones would be the cheap lefty OF they desire.
What do you think?

Bobcat
02-10-2012, 17:09
Ok, now it's being reported that the Pirates will not give up Garrett Jones in the deal. They're willing to pay $10M of Burnett's contract but, the Yankees want them to pay closer to $15M. Despite all this it seems like a deal will get done.

The Boss
02-10-2012, 18:58
Anything to get him out. It will be nice to end the constant stress of having him fail in the rotation.

KillaKaelb
02-11-2012, 01:30
Latest report I heard was that the Yankees wanted a 50/50 split in salary. They would not be in this place if they didn't overpay from the beginning.

BrooklynAncestry
02-11-2012, 19:16
He has to be happy to leave too. No he can be in an easy going environment.

KillaKaelb
02-12-2012, 13:42
At this point in the discussions if they do not get the trade done, how bad will that clubhouse be come spring training.

Bobcat
02-12-2012, 14:32
True. But, I don't think it could get any worse that it already would've been. You'd have Hughes, Garcia, and Burnett battling for a rotation spot and every single one of their throwing sessions and outings would be over-analyzed during spring training. And, Burnett would probably "win" the job based on his contract and it would be a joke.

KillaKaelb
02-12-2012, 14:53
It would be a joke. I think Hughes should win that spot. I know Freddy pitched well last year, but long term, Hughes could still become a solid pitcher. Freddy is in the end of his career.

Bobcat
02-12-2012, 16:32
I really think they have to give it to Hughes. He'll be a free agent next year and they need to see what kind of starter he is. Cashman has recently said that Hughes is a starter. They don't want to put him back in the bullpen.

BJ
02-13-2012, 05:01
Pirates in my opinion are getting a steal here. AJ in NL would be a solid option & Yanks desperate are paying a lot to get rid of em. Crazy

Bobcat
02-14-2012, 16:51
Despite the Indians and Angels still inquiring about Burnett, it seems a deal with the Pirates will get done. At this point, the Pirates are offering to pay $10M and 2 low tier prospects. The Yankees want them to either pay more money or offer better prospects. The Pirates will likey pay more money.
I agree that the Pirates are getting a deal. From their point of view, it's like signing Burnett to a 2 year, $15M contract. But at this point, the Yanks have to take the loss and move on. There's no spot for him in the rotation and they want to use whatever money the Pirates will pay.

Bobcat
02-16-2012, 17:32
ESPN is reporting that the deal sending Burnett to the Pirates is done. The Pirates will reportedly pay $13M-$15M of his salary and give the Yankees "marginal prospects with upside.". The deal is not official and has yet to be reviewed by the commissioners office.

KillaKaelb
02-18-2012, 11:19
There was a rumor of him going to the Angels in a swap for Abreu. He said no because his wife doesn't want to fly. My question is, didn't AJ get a divorce this year? I swear I read something about that. I guess they are still together.

Junior
02-18-2012, 11:55
I didn't realize the commish had not approved it.. Is it a done real yet? It's great to unload him. Now he can live out the final years of his career in peace

Bobcat
02-18-2012, 16:28
Burnett will take his physical tomorrow and the league will approve it on Tuesday, since Monday's a holiday. Something really strange would have to happen for the deal to not get approved.

I heard that Abreu deal too. I guess the Angels were one of the 10 teams he had a no-trade clause for. I would've preferred to get Abreu back.