PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Opening Day Starting Lineup.

KillaKaelb
02-12-2012, 14:48
After reading the post about the Mets starting lineup, it got me thinking about the Yankees starting lineup. With a team that won the division last year and have one of the best offensives in baseball, there are just as many questions with the order of their lineup, as the other teams in baseball.

Obviously, one spot is going to change and that is Posada’s with whatever left handed bat the Yankees sign. However, where that bat hits, depends on who is signed. I will get to that later.

The first question about the Yankees is, who should lead off? Over the past few years, Jeter has been the leadoff hitter and has had success in that role, but there has been some thought that Gardner should take over that spot.

Gardner has the speed be the leadoff hitter and is very dangerous once he gets on base. However, the problem is, Gardner is not the type of player who runs without reading the pitcher. For example, when Reyes gets on base, he will run on the first pitch when he is going to steal. Gardner usually takes a pitch or two until he attempts a steal. That can be annoying to the hitter who is taking pitches for Gardner to steal. All of a sudden the hitter is down 0-2 and Gardner is still on first. Therefore, Jeter should stay in that leadoff spot.

Granderson will stay in the #2 spot, depending on the DH that is signed. He was very successful and had one of his best seasons of his career.

The 4 and 5 spots in the order is where the it gets real sticky. Towards the end of the season, it seemed that Girardi got it right. A-Rod followed by Tex. That is fine to start the season, but how long will A-Rod be a #4 hitter? If he struggles, will A-Rod be able to take the possible ego hit to switch spots with Tex? This is going to be a tough situation for Girardi, but for opening day the 4 and 5 spots are set in stone.

Spots 6-9 will be the same as the final lineup only replacing Posada with the new DH. If that person is Ibanez, the lineup should start off as:

1. Jeter
2. Granderson
3. Cano
4. Rodriguez
5. Teixeira
6. Swisher
7. Ibanez
8. Martin
9.Gardner

If Damon is signed as the new DH, the lineup can change completely. I am not sure how Damon would fit into the lineup, but I think he would be slotted into the #2 hole. The question now is, where will Granderson bat? I think the 6th spot is too low for him, but I also think the 6th spot is too low for Tex or A-Rod for the time being. Of those three, it would be easier to move Granderson to the 6th spot because he seems like the type of player that does not care where he hits.

1. Jeter
2. Damon
3. Cano
4. Rodriguez
5. Teixeira
6. Granderson
7. Swisher
8. Martin
9.Gardner

No matter who is signed to the DH spot, the lineups are very solid. I would prefer the lineup with Damon, however either way we should be looking forward to another outstanding offensive season for the Yankees in 2012.

What do you think the Yankees Opening Day lineup should look like?

BJ
02-13-2012, 05:15
As long as Cano hits 3rd I'm fine with u do with anybody else..even tho I suggest leaving Grandy in 2 hole

The Boss
02-13-2012, 08:40
All last year I was wanting to drop A-Rod to 6 or 7th. The idea that you leave him batting 4th because "you know he's gonna hit" is stupid, and it's actually that you leave him there because "He's A-Rod and we are paying him a fortune for another 5 years and he will cry if we do something that makes him feel like he's not our best player" which is why this A-Rod situation is even worse then the Burnett deal.

KillaKaelb
02-13-2012, 09:36
Granderson is better as the #2 hitter, but if the DH is Damon, I think Damon is a better #2 hitter.

It is weird, I really want Damon as the DH, but looking at a potential lineup with Damon and Ibanez, I like the Ibanez lineup better.

Dropping A-Rod in the lineup would be better for the team, but do you really think A-Rod would not cause an uproar if he was dropped?

The Boss
02-13-2012, 12:38
Dropping A-Rod in the lineup would be better for the team, but do you really think A-Rod would not cause an uproar if he was dropped?

No, he would cry. Which is why his contract is worse then it seems because not only do we lose money on a bad player, but we have to cater to him and stroke his ego the whole time too. Should be fun.

Bobcat
02-13-2012, 12:55
I think Granderson is #2 no matter what. Id prefer to see teixeira 4 and a-rod 5. It depends which one Girardi thinks will benefit more because whoever bats 4th is going to have a lot of pitches to hit. And, Gardner isn't a consistent enough hitter to bat leadoff.

Bobcat
02-20-2012, 13:06
From what Girardi said today, you were right on with your first line up (the "Ibanez" lineup). But he also said he wasn't married to it.

KillaKaelb
02-20-2012, 13:15
It makes the most sense to plug Ibanez into Posada's spot.

Bobcat
02-20-2012, 13:34
Girardi was just confirming your 1 thru 5 of Jeter, Granderson, Cano, A-Rod, Teixeira. I think it's safe to pencil in Swisher at 6. 7 thru 9 will be based on performance and matchups.

Bobcat
02-22-2012, 11:42
Now that Chavez is re-signed, the 25 man roster is practically set. Barring any injuries, the only opening is one bullpen spot. Which the Yankees hope will go to a lefty.

Starting Lineup
Jeter SS
Granderson CF
Cano 2B
Rodriguez 3B
Teixeira 1B
Swisher RF
Ibanez DH
Martin C
Gardner LF

Bench
Cervelli C
Chavez 1B/3B
Nunez IF
Jones OF

Starting Rotation
Sabathia
Nova
Pineda
Kuroda
??? (Hughes/Garcia)

Bullpen
Rivera CL
Robertson 8th
Soriano 7th
Logan
Wade
??? (Hughes/Garcia)
--- (open spot)

This makes for a pretty boring spring training. I think the 5th spot is Hughes' to lose. Whether he was competing for the job or not, his performance is what I'm looking forward to the most this spring. The last bullpen spot could go to Cesar Cabral. He's the only other lefty on the 40 man roster and Boone Logan is currently the only lefty in the pen.
Side note: obviously, barring injury, Bill Hall and Russel Branyan have no shot at making the team.

What are you looking for most out of this Yankees spring training?

The Boss
02-22-2012, 14:22
No Joba?

Things change from 1 year to the next. The entire pitching staff will have me interested. A-Rod, I-Ban, and the catchers will be interesting to watch.

Bobcat
02-22-2012, 15:41
Joba won't be back until June. The only thing to watch for is if he has a setback. I'm interested to see A-Rod too. I want to see if he's healthy and if he can bounce back. I'm excited about Pineda but pitchers are usually just getting there work in during spring training so there's not much to judge.