PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P THE KID

BJ
02-16-2012, 17:29
A very sad day for Met fans but not just Met fans ,fans of baseball in general.I've have not come across one soul who disliked Gary Carter.Our thoughts & prayers are with the Carter family,may he rest in peace.Not much good comes out of day like this but if there is 1 thing it's fans discussing their favorite Gary Carter moment.What they remember him for the most or remembering a moment that really caught their heart as a meant fan.All over the twitter world fans are sharing their fav Kid moments,pics,quotes..Feel free to share any Carter moment that u have enjoyed most from the great Met.

The Boss
02-16-2012, 20:26
RIP Gary
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/02/16/021612-Gary-Carter-Mets-BW-PI_20120216180515700_660_320.JPG

BrooklynAncestry
02-17-2012, 00:19
Its always so sad to see somebody go like this. Thankfully he made his impact on many people and will be remembered fondly. RIP indeed.

Junior
02-17-2012, 10:56
That's really sad to hear. Sounds likes he was a good guy

Bobcat
02-17-2012, 11:51
I'm a Yankee fan but, always liked Gary Carter. I had this "Starting Lineup" figure as a kid.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-zlLDVOjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

metman313131@yahoo.com
02-25-2012, 22:21
Gary Carter, the man dubbed “the kid,” passed away on Thursday February 16 at the all too young age of 57.

Growing up, I was only able to watch Gary Carter play in the latter part of his career. The two vivid memories I have of The Kid is when he hit in 300th career homerun against the Cubs in 1988 at Wrigley and his final home game as a Met in 1989. Carter had been trying to hit the 300th homer for over two months and I remember being at my grandparent’s house on a weekday afternoon, hoping I would get to see it. We had to leave after the first inning but I made sure to turn on the radio to hear Bob Murphy call the homerun while I was sitting in the front seat of my mothers car, stuck in traffic on the southern state parkway.

His final home game as a Met was emotional night at Shea, as it was all but a certainty that both Carter and Keith Hernandez were playing their final home games. I remember Gary coming off the field after reaching second and tipping his cap to Shea faithful one final time. Even at the age of 9, I knew in was the end of an era.

Gary Carter was traded to the Mets for Hubie Brooks prior to the 1985 season and immediately adored himself to all Met fans when he hit game winning homerun in the 10th inning on opening day. Carter was the final piece of the masterpiece created by Frank Cashion and was the glue that held the 86 Mets together. On a team that was made up of one wild child after another, Carter was the straight edge. He believed in his faith and though was never one to preach to others, lived life according to what he believed in and never waivered from that faith.

Carter was masterful behind the plate, not only possessing a cannon for an arm, but also calling a brilliant game and helping mold a pitching staff that had the most talent in the league. No would ever complain throwing to him and he unquestionably made everyone on the staff a better pitcher.

In game 6 of the 1986 World Series, Carter was the man that got the first hit to start the two out rally in the 10th. As he has stated many times, he didn’t want to be a trivia question as to who made the final out of the World Series and after scoring the first run of the inning, was one of the first out of the dugout to pummel Ray Knight when he scored the game winning run. Carter easily could have been named the MVP of the 86 World Series, knocking in 9 with two homeruns and keeping the game alive on that faithful night.

After hearing teammates and fans talk and remember Gary Carter over the past couple of days, it was evident that not only was he a hall of famer on the field but was just as much one off the field as well. The stories of how he on numerous occasions he had to chase down the bus after staying behind to sign autographs or how he would always go that extra mile to make each fan feel special was a quality most of his status would never show. Gary was a hall of famer in every aspect, but never acted like one with his teammates or off the field in his interactions with the fans.

Though the hat on his head says Montreal Expos (as it should) Gary Carter left a lasting impacted on the Mets franchise, the Met fans and everyone he interacted with along the way. He was truly a class act and will be remembered forever.

Robert Urio
www.212sports.com