PDA

View Full Version : Player profile >> Mets prospect Jeurys Familia

BJ
02-18-2012, 20:31
Mets fans, these are the names you need to focus on. Jason Bay & Johan Santana are meaningless, trust me !

www.fangraphs.com

3. Jeurys Familia, RHP
BORN: Oct. 10, 1989
EXPERIENCE: 4 seasons
ACQUIRED: 2007 international free agent
2010-11 TOP 10 RANKING: Off

SCOUTING REPORT: Familia looks like a dominating force on the mound and he has the fastball velocity – 93-97 mph – to back it up. Unfortunately, his secondary pitches (slider, changeup) are both still developing with the breaking ball showing the most promise of the pair. Familia has pitched almost exclusively out of the starting rotation as a pro but he’s a long-term, high-leverage reliever at the MLB level.

YEAR IN REVIEW: Familia finally broke out of A-ball after six dominating starts (1.49 ERA, 0.80 WHIP) and spent the remainder of the season in double-A. The right-hander posted a strikeout rate of 9.86 but his control regressed to its usual level (3.59 BB/9). Once a ground-ball-heavy pitcher, Familia was more of a fly-ball pitcher in 2011. I’d like to see him work down in the zone a little more consistently.

YEAR AHEAD: Familia probably showed enough at double-A for New York to move him up to triple-A to begin 2012. He has an outside shot of breaking camp with the club if he has a strong spring but he still has rough edges to smooth out. I’d be more than a little shocked if he didn’t make his MLB debut in ’12.

CAREER OUTLOOK: As mentioned, Familia is headed for a bullpen role in the Majors. If he can sharpen his slider to the point where it’s at least average on a consistent basis then he could potentially become the Mets’ closer. Otherwise, he could have a solid career as a set-up man.
CAREER OUTLOOK: As mentioned, Familia is headed for a bullpen role in the Majors. If he can sharpen his slider to the point where it’s at least average on a consistent basis then he could potentially become the Mets’ closer. Otherwise, he could have a solid career as a set-up man.[/QUOTE]

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-15-prospects-new-york-mets/