PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Spring Training Report

Bobcat
03-07-2012, 11:16
Now that we're a few games into the spring training schedule, I thought it would be a good idea to have a running thread of daily updates from Yankees Spring Training. I'll regularly have the days lineup, injury updates, and general news and notes. Feel free to comment, question me, or add your own info to the thread.

Wed. 3/7
NYY lineup vs TB: Jeter SS, Granderson CF, Cano 2B, Swisher 1B, Ibanez DH, Chavez 3B, Jones RF, Martin C, Gardner LF, Kuroda P

Soriano, Wade, Logan, Warren, Rapada, Whelan, Phelps and Cabral among those on schedule to pitch after Kuroda

Bumps & Bruises: Swisher fouled a ball off his shin the other day, Nunez was HBP in hand/wrist the other day (x-rays were negative), both are day to day

News and Notes:Hughes, Pineda, Sabathia, have looked good so far. Pineda has been working on a change up to add to his fastball and slider as a 3rd pitch. Hughes consistently hit 93mph in his outing which had scouts feeling good about his velocity.

The Boss
03-07-2012, 22:04
I heard Kuroda stunk it up today

Bobcat
03-07-2012, 22:52
Kuroda pitched lights out in the 1st inning, retiring the first 2 batters 1-2-3 each. Then, he gave up 3 runs on 3 hits in his second inning. It was his first outing of ST so there's not much to harp on.

Bobcat
03-08-2012, 11:14
Thurs. 3/8:
NYY lineup at TOR: Gardner CF, Cervelli C, A-Rod 3B, Teixeira 1B, Ibanez RF, Hall LF, Maxwell DH, Nix 2B, Pena SS, Nova P

pitchers scheduled to follow Nova: Robertson, O'Connor, Betances, Phelps, Cabral, Burawa

The Boss
03-08-2012, 12:21
Well Robertson aint pitching. Thats one ugly line-up too

Bobcat
03-08-2012, 16:21
Thurs. 3/8(cont.)

Injuries: David Robertson has been diagnosed with a right midfoot sprain after falling down stairs moving boxes at home. He's currently being sent for more tests. There's no timetable for his return yet, but there's a possibility he might not be ready by Opening Day.

News & Notes: Ivan Nova got roughed up today in his second spring start. He gave up five runs on six hits in 2 2/3 innings. The big blow coming from an Arencibia two-run home run. It's still early so I'm not concerned but, I'd like to see him bounce back the next time out.

The Boss
03-08-2012, 19:38
Get me on twitter

Bobcat
03-09-2012, 09:29
Friday 3/9
NYY lineup vs ATL: Jeter SS, Granderson CF, Cano 2B, Swisher RF, Chavez 3B, Martin C, Jones LF, Dickerson DH, Vazquez 1B, Garcia P

Also scheduled to pitch: Rafael Soriano RHP, Manny Banuelos LHP, D.J. Mitchell RHP, Juan Cedeno LHP, Chase Whitley RHP

InjuriesStill no news on Robertson's additional tests as of this morning. He says his foot feels better but, he's still walking around on crutches. I'll update as soon as his test results are reported.

Bobcat
03-09-2012, 14:57
Friday 3/9 (cont.):

Injuries: David Robertson has just a bone bruise on his foot. He'll remain in the walking boot through Sunday. He hopes to start working his way back next week.

Bobcat
03-10-2012, 11:07
Saturday 3/10
NYY Lineup vs. ATL: Gardner CF, Jones DH, A-Rod 3B, Teixeira 1B, Ibanez RF, Cervelli C, Hall 2B, Maxwell LF, Bernier SS, Pineda P

Injuries: Nunez is still out with a bruised hand/wrist. His hand still hurts after taking BP. Robertson will start doing some upper body and core exercises to stay in shape while his foot heals.

News & Notes: Girardi will travel to Fort Meyers to watch Phil Hughes pitch.

The Boss
03-10-2012, 23:20
A-Rod a big star again huh. In March, sounds about right.

Bobcat
03-11-2012, 11:17
Sunday 3/11
Split Squad games

lineup vs. Twins: Gardner LF, Granderson CF, Swisher RF, Ibanez DH, Cervelli C, Vazquez 3B, Nix 2B, Laird 1B, Pena SS, Hughes RHP

lineup vs. Phillies: Jeter SS, Cano 2B, A-Rod DH, Teixeira 1B, Chavez 3B, Martin C, Jones RF, Hall LF, Dickerson CF. Sabathia P

ON AIR: Game vs. Phillies on YES and WCBS 880 at 1PM

Injuries: Robertson is off crutches today but still wearing boot. Nunez (wrist) is still in pain when he swings a bat. He'll rest for a few days before trying again.

News & Notes: Rivera will is scheduled to make his 1st appearance of the spring today against the Phillies

Bobcat
03-11-2012, 12:29
The Boss,

I don't really pay attention to spring stats. If a player was injured last season (i.e. A-Rod, Ike Davis), I want to see how healthy they are. And, by the time a starting pitcher gets up to 5 inn. (usually 3rd start), I'd like to see a solid outing. Other than that, I enjoy the games and like seeing the prospects play. Individual players are usually working on one aspect of their "game," and no one is trying to win, so it's hard to analyze anything else.

BrooklynAncestry
03-12-2012, 07:46
I saw that kid on the Phillies make a great play at short late in the game yesterday. How did Mo do? I didnt hear anything about it

Bobcat
03-12-2012, 09:54
Rivera looked great. Pitched a 1-2-3 inning.

Bobcat
03-13-2012, 17:15
Tuesday 3/13
Lineup vs BOS: Gardner CF, Martin C, A-Rod 3B, Teixeira 1B, Ibanez DH, Jones RF, ???SS, Hall 2B, Nix LF, Nova P

Nunez was a late scratch. No announcement on who's replacing him tonight.

On Air: MLB Network 7PM

Injuries: Robertson played catch today and reported no pain in his foot.

The Boss
03-13-2012, 17:36
Tonight game is on YES - I guess its on MLB for those outside NY area

Bobcat
03-14-2012, 11:53
Wednesday 3/14

Lineup vs TOR: Jeter SS, Granderson CF, Cano 2B, A-Rod DH, Teixeira 1B, Ibanez LF, Swisher RF, Chavez 3B, Cervelli C, Garcia P

News & Notes: As you can see, today's lineup is filled with regulars. However, only A. Jones, Martin, and Gardner will make tomorrow's trip to Dunedin with Pineda getting his 3rd start.

From Last Night's Game:Nova looked good pitching 4 scoreless inn. 2 hits, 3 strikeouts, 0 walks. 35 of his 55 pitches were strikes. Rivera "Mo'd" down 3 Red Sox minor leaguers in 13 pitches. Breaking a few bats along the way

Injuries: Nunez (hand/wrist) won't try to take BP again until Saturday.

Bobcat
03-15-2012, 12:36
Thursday 3/15

Lineup vs WAS: Gardner LF, Martin C, Jones DH, Dickerson RF, Hall 3B, Wise CF, Nix 2B, Vazquez 1B, Pena SS, Pineda P

Injuries: Freddy Garcia left yesterday"s game after being hit in the right hand by a comebacker. X-rays were negative and it's diagnosed as a hand contusion. He should be day to day. Nick Swisher came out of yesterday's game after straining his groin. It's considered a mild strain and he's only being held out for precautionary reasons

Bobcat
03-15-2012, 18:25
Thursday 3/15 (cont.)

Game notes: Michael Pineda allowed two runs and struck out four in 3.2 IP before reaching his pitch count. His fastball topped out at 92mph but, no one seems concerned since he was concentrating mostly on his change up. Ramiro Pena left the game with an injured ankle and should be out 2-3 days.

Bobcat
03-16-2012, 10:48
Friday 3/16

Today's lineup: Granderson CF, Cano 2B, A-Rod 3B, Teixeira 1B, Jones RF, Ibanez DH, Cervelli C, Hall LF, Bernier SS, Sabathia P

Injuries: Girardi just told media that Jeter won't play til Tuesday due to calf soreness. Swisher and Martin will be held out today. Both have soreness in groin. At this point, Garcia will skip one start and see how his hand feels in a few days.

On Air: Today's games is at 1pm on the YES Network

BREAKING NEWS!!!! The Yankees have signed Andy Pettitte to a 1-year minor league deal worth $2.5 million

News & Notes: I've noticed some media outlets talking up Doug Bernier, who's starting at shortstop today in the absence of Jeter and Pena. He has been playing extremely well all spring. He's an excellent fielder that can play every infield position and this spring he's been hitting great. However, he's 31 years old and a career minor leaguer. He's not going to replace Pena or Nunez as a backup infielder because he hasn't shown he can hit at the major league level. Plus, Pena and Nunez are young with so much upside. Not to mention, they are already on the 40 man roster and Bernier is not. At best, Bernier is a good defensive insurance policy to keep at Triple-A in case of an injury. So, there's really nothing to watch for in my opinion.

The Boss
03-16-2012, 20:37
People seem to think I am stupid for questioning Pettitte coming back! Why is it such a given he will still be a good pitcher and wont be injured all season? Shouldnt he have to be better then all our other options to start?? 1 year of Pettitte and certainly this will cancel out another phil Hughes season

Bobcat
03-17-2012, 10:04
In signing Pettitte, the Yankees really have nothing to lose. He won't be ready until May. At that point, they can see if he can still pitch and if he's an upgrade over any of the other starters. If he can't pitch anymore, I think he'll be realistic and retire.

Bobcat
03-19-2012, 09:27
Monday 3/19

Injuries: Cano left Sunday's game after being hit in the hand by a pitch. X-rays were negative so he should be day to day. Swisher had an MRI on his groin which came up clean so he remains day to day. Robertson has been increasing his throwing with no pain. He could be pitching in games by the weekend.

Bobcat
03-23-2012, 11:15
Friday 3/23

Split Squad Lineup vs Twins: (1PM on YES Network)
Derek Jeter SS
Curtis Granderson CF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Russell Martin C
Andruw Jones DH
Eduardo Nunez 2B
Bill Hall LF
Justin Maxwell RF

RHP Ivan Nova

Split Squad Lineup vs Phillies:
Brett Gardner LF
Francisco Cervelli C
Robinson Cano 2B
Eric Chavez 1B
Brandon Laird 3B
Chris Dickerson RF
Dewayne Wise CF
Colin Curtis DH
Doug Bernier SS

RHP Hiroki Kuroda

The Boss
03-23-2012, 23:34
Joba hurt his ankle

Bobcat
03-25-2012, 10:59
Sunday 3/25

Lineup vs DET: Jeter SS, Granderson CF, Cano 2B, A-Rod 3B, Teixeira 1B, Martin C, Jones DH, Nunez RF, Gardner LF, Pineda P

Injuries:Joba Chamberlain suffered an open dislocation of his right ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his son at a children's play facility. According to doctors, there is a wide range of recovery results. The best case scenario is that he could be back on a mound by July and start working his way back. The worst case scenario is that it never fully heals and his playing career would be over. It's most likely that his recovery falls somewhere in between those scenarios.

Bobcat
03-29-2012, 17:17
Thursday 3/29

lineup vs. Orioles: Jeter SS Granderson DH Rodriguez 3B Teixeira 1B Ibanez LF Jones RF Gardner CF Nunez 2B Cervelli C Phelps RHP

Injuries: Granderson back in the lineup tonight at DH. Swisher still out with a sore groin. Robertson has looked good since his return from his ankle injury. He should be ready for Opening Day.

Bobcat
03-31-2012, 12:47
Saturday 3/31

Injuries: Pineda was diagnosed with right shoulder tendinitis after undergoing an MRI this morning. He'll start the season on the DL. Cesar Cabral left last night's game with a sore elbow. This injury most likely takes him out of the running for that second lefty spot out of the bullpen. That spot will go to Clay Rapada. Swisher has been playing right field in minor league games and his groin appears to be fine.

News & Notes: Here's my take on Pineda. As long as this injury isn't a long term issue, I think it's a blessing in disguise. He wasn't exactly impressive this spring and I'm not sure he was going to beat out Freddy Garcia for the final rotation spot. Now, there's a convenient excuse for him starting the year at AAA. He's only 23 and admittedly overwhelmed by New York. The Yankees traded for the future. They can take their time with him.

Do you disagree? Tell us what you think?