PDA

View Full Version : Mike Francesas Rant Against Twitter

The Boss
05-15-2012, 20:39
Mike Francesa speaks on issue of twitter:

<iframe src='http://web.yesnetwork.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=21463117&width=400&height=224&property=yesnetwork' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I think Francesa is so against twitter because of the bashing he would immediately receive if he joined, So his approach is to bash and attack the validity of it. If you don't want to know everything about a person, then don't follow people that post everything about themselves. It's that simple.

fanofthefan
06-02-2012, 07:22
The other FAN shows adoption of social media adds unique insight. The 10 seconds of glory might be Francesa dipping his toe in the water. Will his show go any further ? Probably not; it's an age thing. I'm surprised he's got a smartphone, frankly.

fansince87
08-11-2013, 16:17
I'll bump this thread and jump on the bandwagon here.

The new Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. society we live in now just hasn't been good for sports and sports talk. Athletes aren't any different than the fans are and can be kinda dumb, not interesting, and even petty. We like them for what they do on the field. At least it is supposed to be that way. Nothing good really comes of it and when they say stupid stuff or negative or racist stuff then we have to hear about it because it is out there. So much less talk now about the actual games and athletic performances and more he said/she said gossipy kind of stuff. Soap opera like drama and how somebody said something and hurt someone's feelings. Fodder for the talk hosts who are kinda nerdy or geeky like the Evan Roberts or Greenberg who love to run over and say they heard this was said or that was said. Girl talk, tattles tales, and everyone's feelings is not really what sports is about. It's about competing, winning, enduring, overcoming obstacles, performing etc. not whining, name calling, and gossip. It was better when we didn't hear from them or about them like we do now.

A second point of how this has hurt sports talk and talking sports to a small degree. You can rarely go up to a person a mention a sports happening and illicit a reaction other than I saw that. Meaning they already looked at there phone and saw these things. Few surprises anymore. Also, kinda lame for sports talk radio with the Tweets, reading emails, or even recorded messages like 10 seconds of glory. Ditch all except the calls. The two-way back and forth is the good stuff not reading emails or tweets. The best is real fans on the phone showing emotion and having more than one comment. You do these things and there are less time for calls and the calls get shorter and cut off hurting the quality there.

Things like the short 10 or 14 second messages left are just played and not really responded to properly, 140 characters tweets are useless to say anything meaningful or expound. They have to read the stupid impersonal screen names or Twitter handles. Metzzluvr1962 and # this and # that. Radio is better simpler and without the clutter.

Twitter etc. on their own not really bad things but it is in how we use them. I do not think they have had a good effect on sports and sports talk.

The Boss
08-11-2013, 21:11
SOmewhat related is the impact on this site. When i had the idea for this I was in Iraq (2006 - 10) and twitter developed a lot in those years. Nobody is interested in a place like this because theyd rather just use twitter to put out their thoughts even though virtually nobody cares what anybody else has to say unless they are famous. Nobody want to have to actually explain anything like you would if you have a convo with someone here. They just want the 5 second answer the 140 character limit provides.

fansince87
08-13-2013, 15:25
Hey, didn't know you were in Iraq. Thanks for the service!

Yep, Websites like this and the daily papers as well. We can see now how it impacts all news reporting again many times in a bad way as it usually becomes some sort of race to get things first and claim credit for that. What do they want, a medal? Things are all over the place within a 15 minute span anyway. Who got it out first is beyond unimportant. Then in the rush mistakes are made and wrong things reported. Of course, then they don't want their name mentioned when it is botched!