PDA

View Full Version : WHY does the FAN carry the Nets and Devils????

Junior
12-07-2010, 20:57
This has always bothered me, personally I want a talk program on at night, but I understand the Mets being carried, and the Knicks and Rangers until a few years ago.

I can not understand for the life of me why 2 teams that nobody cares about are on FAN, almost like their is some kind of law requiring the station to have events on, no matter how few people listen, or care about the teams playing.

I cant think for a minute that either team gets higher ratings then a solid night time show like Steve Somers would get.... I can not imagine for a second that is the case.

The Boss
12-07-2010, 21:08
Shouldnt the teams get paid by the stations for the priviledge of carrying their games to make a profit through Ad sales? It seems like the teams are paying the Fan in these cases because I can't imagine more then 8 people are listening to those games

Junior
12-07-2010, 23:19
To me it brings down the aura of the station too. When you had all New York teams that was a source of pride, now the FAN is the home of New jersey sports, which is nothing to brag about.. let someone else have that crap and let the 5 hour Scmooze begin at 6:20 everynight!

Jersey John
12-07-2010, 23:45
I dont listen much at night but when Im driving around i usually spend the whole time flipping through 10 different music stations looking for something I dont hate to listen to. I sure as hell aint listening to either of those crap teams and I live in Jersey! Nobody cares about them here either

knajois
12-08-2010, 17:39
exactly i dont know but i will try to check ot out

Jimmy from Brooklyn
12-12-2010, 00:51
Nothing is worse then the Devils announcers. The guy iis awful and the girl is even worse. Plus it's Devils hockey which is painful to begin with

thekorean
07-14-2011, 21:28
WFAN represents New York METRO area, and last time I checked Devils and the Nets play in New York metro area. And more than you'd expect listen to the games on WFAN.

The Boss
07-14-2011, 22:56
where did you get this metro area nonsense from?

FanDROID
07-15-2011, 02:35
The Devils and Nets pay the FAN to carry their games. That is why they are on. It is basically a 2 1/2 hour paid advertisement.

fansince87
08-22-2011, 14:01
In short, ESPN is the reason. They paid the $$$ WFAN couldn't and were able to wrestle away the rights to the Rangers and Knicks leaving the second choice Devils and Nets to FAN. Though you and I may rather listen to Steve instead of those teams, there are more advertising $$$ coming in on the sporting events and their way too long pre and post games shows.

Wow, flexing the money of their bigger wallet taking the two top choices and even preventing players from these teams from coming on the FAN and they still can't beat FAN. *Remember, anyone who tries to do these things hurts us listeners and doesn't care about us(regardless of the BS talk that they do). Preventing anyone from coming on the FAN or even specifically Mike'd Up is hurting sports talk in NY and is unacceptable. Play fair and just be better. Don't try to damage the competition to win. "Hey, I got a big race to win so I'll go over and kick the other guy in the shin". All those double dipping $$$ and ESPN behind you and you can't win on your own merits? End rant :)