PDA

View Full Version : NFL Kicking Rule Change?

dhick799
01-20-2014, 19:10
The NFL changes it's rules every year. Most changes are minor and do not affect the game we love as much. The head to head hits have been the most noticable this year. The NFL is trying to protect the players, which is understandable. This new rule, however, will change football scoring.

The NFL is considering changing the extra point kick after the touchdown. The extra point was made 99.1% of the time since 2004. Think about it. After every touchdown scored you get up to get a drink or go get some more food. You don't watch the extra point intensely thinking something crazy is going to happen. The PAT is basically a guarantee success.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said "There's one proposal in particular that I've heard about. It's automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball, so if you fail, you go back to six."

So if the team scores a touchdown they automatically get 7 points with the option of going for 8 points. They could either run or throw the ball into the end zone to earn 8 points, however, if they fail to convert they only get 6 points.

I actually support this ruling. It would make the game more interesting and keep people at the edge of their seats if they did try to go for the extra point. I think the NFL teams would also support this new rule. Would kickers? I don't know.

What do you guys think? Keep the PAT the way it is or change it up?

The Boss
01-20-2014, 19:40
Yea Im glad he said it because when Francesa was talking about it all day last week every call had a plan that would make it harder to get to the 7th point. I dont want the natural point totals to disapear and have it be either 6-0 or 8-0 after the first TD. Just give them the 7th point for free unless the want to go for 2 and risk it.

headscratchingsports
01-20-2014, 19:52
It was a nonstop topic for the last couple weeks. Every idea was more nonsensical than the last. All this rule does is make the PAT a 100% success play rather than the 99.6% it has been. Other than that the same rules apply for a 2-point conversion. 6 if you fail, 8 if you succeed. The rule would just take the untimed PAT off the field and truly make it automatic. I don't mind it, because I cannot see it changing strategy and gameplay too much. Teams will opt for the 7 unless they need to get 8, just as they would for any situation where they would go for 2.

Junior
01-26-2014, 16:45
The only thing I would add possibly, would be maybe having something like a 50 yd FG be an option for the 2pt convo. Keep the current 2 yd line TD option, or try a 50 yarder. Or, just get the auto 7 points and do nothing. Sounds good to me